Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2013, 10:02 AM

32,921 posts, read 36,316,341 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
LOL! The "old fashioned" meaning... vs the actual meaning.
Yes, that's precisely what I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2013, 08:19 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,398,163 times
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if respecting a stranger or elder causes one so much discomfort and grief, it is likely due to the fact that perhaps that moral value was not instilled in his/her youth. As such, when one is an adult, it becomes very difficult to explain the humanity in respecting someone first in order to obtain their respect in return.

Old 04-22-2013, 12:21 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that if respecting a stranger or elder causes one so much discomfort and grief, it is likely due to the fact that perhaps that moral value was not instilled in his/her youth. As such, when one is an adult, it becomes very difficult to explain the humanity in respecting someone first in order to obtain their respect in return.
Exactly right. What these people are saying is; they want the respect first before giving it. The "actual" meaning...

Originally Posted by somebodynew

...could result in nobody ever respecting anyone. They're saying they want everyone else to initiate respect towards them, yet they'll not do it themselves. It's a self centered circle jerk, and quite childish.

If it's an old fashioned notion to be blindly respectful of everyone, then old fashioned has a lot more class IMHO.

Old 04-22-2013, 01:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
How can you respect someone (have great admiration for them due to their abilities, qualities or achievements) when you don't know them?

Old 04-22-2013, 07:42 AM

6,190 posts, read 7,969,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
How can you respect someone (have great admiration for them due to their abilities, qualities or achievements) when you don't know them?
Exactly.

Old 04-22-2013, 10:08 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
Exactly right. What these people are saying is; they want the respect first before giving it. The "actual" meaning...

Originally Posted by somebodynew

...could result in nobody ever respecting anyone. They're saying they want everyone else to initiate respect towards them, yet they'll not do it themselves. It's a self centered circle jerk, and quite childish.
I think you are making a mistake that people are saying that one is somehow not going to give respect FIRST. Not at all. People may give politeness. Respect will wait until it is earned. So no assumption that there is no one who is actually deserving of respect.

Old 04-22-2013, 04:15 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,783,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I think you are making a mistake that people are saying that one is somehow not going to give respect FIRST. Not at all. People may give politeness. Respect will wait until it is earned. So no assumption that there is no one who is actually deserving of respect.
I'm sorry, but IMHO you (and others) are confusing politeness with being respectful, and respect with admiration.

I respect all those around me.
I am polite and courteous.
I revere my elders. They have far more wisdom than given credit.
I listen eagerly when others speak, and hope they'll do the same for me.
I treat others as I would like to be treated, even if they choose not to extend the same courtesy.

This is being respectful and goes a lot further than opening a door or giving up a seat, though I do these happily. I was raised/reared to act this way by a single mother. It is a part of my nature; a product of good parenting.

re·spect·ful /riˈspektfəl/

Adjective
Feeling or showing deference and respect.
Synonyms
deferential - reverent - courteous - polite - regardful

Last edited by steven_h; 04-22-2013 at 04:31 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting