Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 09:55 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativeDallasite View Post
It's true, though. They can go anytime. When I lived in Austin, restaurants there would be packed to the gills at 12pm with stay-at-home-moms having loooooooong lunches with their other stay-at-home-mom friends...while we working stiffs were told we'd have to wait 20-30 minutes for a table.

I just didn't get why they couldn't go at 11am or 1pm. A lot of companies aren't flexible on lunchtimes, but if you're a SAHM I'd guess your schedule is more flexible than mine is.
Well, I mean its only logical to assume if you have the flexibility to go off-hours to a restaurant or a retail store, you will, for your own convenience, whether you're employed or not.

I'm not sure I can speak for SAHMs that have freetime to do long lunches; I recall having only brief windows of time between school dropoffs, naptimes, doctor's appointments, etc. to run and grab something if eating at home was out of the picture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2007, 02:00 PM

3,589 posts, read 4,148,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
Well, I mean its only logical to assume if you have the flexibility to go off-hours to a restaurant or a retail store, you will, for your own convenience, whether you're employed or not.

I'm not sure I can speak for SAHMs that have freetime to do long lunches; I recall having only brief windows of time between school dropoffs, naptimes, doctor's appointments, etc. to run and grab something if eating at home was out of the picture.
I was in a wealthy part of Austin; I'm guessing a lot of these SAHMs (who had their young children with them) had housekeepers to do a lot of the heavy lifting for them.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:19 PM

162 posts, read 503,944 times
Some people should not even be allowed to have children. Sadly, we cannot pick and choose who can. It is tough being a parent, that is for sure. If you do it right it takes many things....Love, patience, common sense, sacrifice, nurturing and most of all TIME. If you do not choose to have children, respect the people who do and if you notice kids who are well mannered and well behaved, you can thank the really good parents for that.

Old 11-05-2007, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stock66 View Post
My step daughter decided to raise her daughter to be independent with no discipline. The girl just turned 6 and is a terror that no one really wants to be around. I feel bad for her but her mother will not allow anyone to say anything to her while she destroys things and does what she feels like. The poor thing wasn't even potty trained until she was 5!! She is in kindergarten now and her mother expects the teacher to sing special songs and such to get her to sit or to behave. Needless to say the mother and teacher are not getting along. I really think it is a form of abuse for the child. She can't along with others since she does not know how to behave. The mother uses it as an excuse for "how hard" her life is since her child is so "difficult."
OMG..........she has set that child up for failure for sure. Poor teacher....

Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
It gets better. I learned this weekend that my step daughter is trying for another baby. They are also considering homeschooling since their daughter is not adapting well to a classroom. Everyone admits that this woman will not be able to stay regimented or organized enough to homeschool so the child's father, who already works considerable overtime, will have to do it. I am not sure what the laws are regarding this I am just keeping my fingers crossed that legally something will stop them since obviously common sense plays no role in their decisions.

Old 11-05-2007, 05:19 PM

Homeschooling is only for the brave at heart if you ask me. I taught 23 children in a classroom all day but I would rather do that than try to teach my own kids. It is totally different. At the end of the day I went home...I doubt that will work with her from the way you describe things. I am pretty sure there are standards and guidelines that must be met when homeschooling kids. Testing that must be done and courses that are required. Sounds like a nightmare...

Old 11-05-2007, 06:08 PM

1,022 posts, read 3,371,076 times
A neighbor of mine was like that. Her bratty, mean, "better than everyone else" daughter had a hard time adjusting to school so she home schooled her. It made her even worse.
She'd come over to play with my kids and they'd get into trouble so I told her she had to go home. She'd look at my daughter and keep going on with whatever they were doing like I said nothing!! You should have heard how she spoke to her Mother, too!! There were a few times I couldn't take it and I'd say "Don't you talk to your Mother like that!!" I thought for sure Mom would get mad, but she didn't. I don't know what the problem was with them. That 11 year old girl RAN that household!!

Old 11-05-2007, 08:56 PM

1,354 posts, read 4,581,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treeg26 View Post
She'd come over to play with my kids and they'd get into trouble so I told her she had to go home. She'd look at my daughter and keep going on with whatever they were doing like I said nothing!!
We had a neighbor like that once who used to come down and play with my daughter. They were getting a bit loud and out of control, so I went out to tell all the children that it was time to go home. This one little girl just kept on as if I hadn't said a word. I told her quite FIRMLY, "did you not hear me talking to you". She then looked up with this "duh" look on her face and I went on to tell her "listen, I don't know what you do at home but when I say something, you WILL listen, you can do what you want at home but in my house and on my property YOU WILL respect what I say, otherwise you will no longer be welcome". She got up and said okay and proceeded to leave. I told my daughter that she was not welcome at the house anymore. About a week or so later, she comes down, rings the bell and asks for my daughter. I told her that she was not welcome until she learned some respect. She finally came around about 2 weeks later, and I since have had no problems. All the children in the neighborhood hang out at my house, but they may be little "terrors" at home, but not at my place. I've even let all their parents know, I do not tolerate disrespect and what my rules are. If you have a problem with that, keep your children at home because they will not be welcome at my house
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting