U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2013, 07:08 PM
 
19 posts, read 17,291 times
Reputation: 13

Advertisements

This isn't a school event requiring a chaperone each parent is going with their child. They are 8 year old little girls
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:19 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,549,681 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachel powell View Post
I have one week vacation a year which I use for our family vacation. I do not work at a place that gives personal time off. This is not the economy that you can say give me more or Im looking elsewhere. I have to take off several days a year for the special events held at the school thaqt my job will give me. Those can only be done during school time so I understand that. What my biggest beef was we don't know if a weekend would work for the majority since the stay at home mom who picked the two dates to choose from only picked days during the week just because she would like to leave the weekends open for family time. Really?? So the person who said I chose to work and have kids. I stayed home for ten years and always thought of the working moms when scheduling events. If you put a weekend and a weekday date out there and it comes up as weekday majority then so be it. But at least put it out there. So that person is saying if your mom works then you don't get to go to anything?? Really? I don't get sick days so don't say take one of those.
Skip the family vacation. Your choice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
 
912 posts, read 884,272 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by annerk View Post
Skip the family vacation. Your choice.
Unfortunately, this is usually the case. When my kids were younger, I used most of my vacation time doing this exact type of thing. We did not do a lot of family vacations because of it . But choices were made, and I chose to attend these weekday functions.

You'll ultimately have to make choices and decide which works better for you. Obviously the moms who planned this weren't going to consider a weekend trip, so that is out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:25 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,549,681 times
Reputation: 13041
The other option is to volunteer as a troop leader so you can have more say in the activities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:29 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,549,681 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Unfortunately, this is usually the case. When my kids were younger, I used most of my vacation time doing this exact type of thing. We did not do a lot of family vacations because of it . But choices were made, and I chose to attend these weekday functions.

You'll ultimately have to make choices and decide which works better for you. Obviously the moms who planned this weren't going to consider a weekend trip, so that is out.
We did the same thing. Our first real "vacation" was five days in Florida--including a weekend. We did a long weekend once a year--usually to visit family, and the rest of the time used vacation days so that our son could attend various activities.

My husband and I also worked different shifts so that he could take our son to school in the morning and I could pick him up from the after school program by 5:20 so he could be at karate by 5:30.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:40 PM
 
19 posts, read 17,291 times
Reputation: 13
OK I wave the white flag! The whole point was missed I did speak with some of the other moms they also would prefer weekends due to the fact they would not have to worry about care for their smaller children etc. My whole point was the person who stays at home (which I have done before and made sure not to leave out working parents when it came to things of this nature) this a reward for all they have earned all year. which I got her to all of that stuff. Did not offer a weekend date to choose from. No one got to pick a weekend date! All I was saying was put it out there for everyone to vote on with both weekend and week day. I would never ask someone to miss work or a family vacation for a water park for a day. Really can not compare those things
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:43 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,549,681 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele powell View Post
OK I wave the white flag! The whole point was missed I did speak with some of the other moms they also would prefer weekends due to the fact they would not have to worry about care for their smaller children etc. My whole point was the person who stays at home (which I have done before and made sure not to leave out working parents when it came to things of this nature) this a reward for all they have earned all year. which I got her to all of that stuff. Did not offer a weekend date to choose from. No one got to pick a weekend date! All I was saying was put it out there for everyone to vote on with both weekend and week day. I would never ask someone to miss work or a family vacation for a water park for a day. Really can not compare those things
Have you even brought this to the attention of the troop leader? If there are more working parents who want the weekend, then maybe just organize your own event. This just doesn't seem to be the big deal you are making it out to be,.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:48 PM
 
19 posts, read 17,291 times
Reputation: 13
money the girls earned and made for this trip is being held by the troop leader she and a one other who stay home picked the two dates for the rest to choose from. I am not holding the funds from all our events to organize my own event.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 08:56 PM
 
26,590 posts, read 55,549,681 times
Reputation: 13041
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele powell View Post
money the girls earned and made for this trip is being held by the troop leader she and a one other who stay home picked the two dates for the rest to choose from. I am not holding the funds from all our events to organize my own event.
You didn't answer my question. I'll rephrase it.

Are there other working parents who this is inconvenient for?
Have you spoken to them?
Have you presented a uniform front to the troop leader letting her know that the working parents really need activities like this to happen on a weekend?

If you answer yes to all of the questions, then I would consider looking for a different troop or getting together with the other working parents to start your own.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2013, 09:18 PM
 
19 posts, read 17,291 times
Reputation: 13
I am not looking to start a united front it will not help. There are only two working moms the other mom who would prefer weekend has a smaller child and likes weekend so as not to have to find a sitter. I live in an area where not many moms work. I was trying to understand the mind set since when I was in their shoes and did not work I would still think about the other side. If they would have offered both weekend and weekday and weekday was picked I would not be posting. It was more of a am I missing something type of thought then lets start a war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:



Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top