Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 06:36 PM

19 posts, read 20,138 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
So you have already decided not to speak to the troop leaders, deciding instead to try and understand THEIR "mindset" by asking a bunch of strangers on the internet. No one will know their mindset better than they will. I suspect if you spoke to them with politeness and respect in the name of common understanding, they would likely, at very least, explain their mindset. Rather you have chosen to get your knickers in a twist. Does not seem like good problem solving to me.
you must not have read all my posts I did speak to the troop leaders. They did not consider weekends. No because of the crowd since the weekend prior to school getting out would not be more crowded then the first full day school is out
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 06:39 PM

When you are ready???? Really I was just trying to understand. I have spoke to the troop leaders and have considered letting her go with someone else but each person is bringing their other kids so they have two to three already plus this trip is a hour and a half away so if something happened it is far to go get her. She gets sick etc...... There are only two working moms besides teachers who are off that time of year

Old 04-26-2013, 06:40 PM

You did not read all posts I DID speak to the troop leader weekends not considered and not because of crowds since the weekend before is not more crowded then the first day school is out

Old 04-26-2013, 06:47 PM

they are taking siblings since it is a weekday and do not have the dad at home to stay with them

Old 04-26-2013, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
I'm confused about the OP here. Around here, whether it's a school trip to a water park or a Girl Scout event or whatever, there are a certain number of chaperones that accompany the children on the trip. The OP sounds like she is saying that because this trip is scheduled on a weekday that any child with working parents will be unable to go? Won't there be chaperones there? Am I missing something?
Each person will have two or three of their own children since the dads are working that day and can not watch their other kids so they are all taking them

Old 04-26-2013, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelySummer View Post
Maybe I am being too simplistic here or am missing the point.

Why don't you just call the mother who is planning these events, explain the situation and ask her to offer options that include weekends as an alternative that everyone can vote on?

Or am I missing something?
been there done that as stated in earlier post no other days were considered

Old 04-26-2013, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
A few random thoughts..

It may simply be that the leader didn't offer weekend options because she has other prior obligations on weekends. Toward the end of the school year there are things like spring soccer, Mother's Day, high school and college graduations and dance recitals, just to name a few.

As far as working parents, the troops my daughter has been in have primarily been composed of working moms. I actually meet very few SAHMs of school age kids. There were moms who almost never participated, no matter when the events were scheduled, and the reason they gave was that they worked.

I've almost always worked non traditional hours. OP, there are more people than you think that do work but might be free in the hours directly after school. This includes some in professional jobs.

One of the things that caused me to walk away from scouts is that there were a handful of parents that would complain, wanted to have a say in this or that but were never around to get their hands dirty. Want to have more of a say as a parent....then get involved.

Always been very involved but cannot for this don't just assume

Old 04-26-2013, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butterfly4u View Post
To the OP,
My kids are all grown now, but I was a full time worker with 3 children while raising all
of them.
I did it all, the daycare, taking my own sick leave when my kids were sick, taking less pay
to show up for school concerts, (during the day), always leaving early from work to make
all 3 parent teachers meetings every quarter, paying soooo much for the camps in the summer,
long train rides to work, having to bake cupcakes at 8pm for school the next day when I'm exhausted,
the hours of home work at night, every night, for all three, but I knew what every child was doing
in school for every class,
my daughter was not in girl scouts.
I didn't have the time. I have to prioritize, and that was not on the list.
My sons did not have sports to get into.
I had no time for sports. No money either,
All 3 of my kids worked, from an early age. I drove them for all their little jobs.
They were busy. Trust me.
It's hard. Real hard. But totally worth it!
They all turned out just fine. They are all smart, kept out of trouble.
Just one word of advise, your kids always HAVE TO COME FIRST.
ALWAYS.
I don't care how busy I was at work, if my child called, I took the call.
If it came to my job, or my child, my child would win hands down. Always.
No one or nothing is more important.
You can always get another job.
Your kids are irreplaceable.
My kids do always come first. If they are sick etc I am there. I have NEVER taken off work when I was sick knowing at anytime one of them would be and need the time for that. I work in health care I do not have the luxury of taking off for a girl scout event with 3 kids we pick out the 3 most important at school things for them and then sports and other local activities are carpooling someone else taking them and me picking up mine and others.

Old 04-26-2013, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I can think of a couple possibilities. 1) the leader is clueless and selfish and has no clue what it is like to be a working mom. 2) planning these things is a huge PITA and since she's in charge, she gets to pick the dates.

Whether or not it is #1 or #2 depends on how often this happens. If this is the first time, or if it is a rare occurrence, it is probably #2 and I can't say that I blame her. If it happens all the time, then you have 2 choices - quit, or volunteer to help and plan some things on your schedule.
Probably number 2 and my conclusion which means this whole post was a waste of time. Thank you

Old 04-26-2013, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I'm not really getting that the leader is selfish, we really don't have enough information to say that. Given that the average leader puts in a lot of time behind the scenes to make a troop work, plus more than likely a lot of her own funds, I wouldn't be quick to call a leader selfish. You also can't assume that the leader knows everyone's schedule. I work, but have almost never worked traditional hours..so the times chosen could very well work for some working moms.
Don't think selfish just don't think really gave it much thought. Its water under the bridge and hate that this became a working vs non working moms. I was a sahm for 10 years and working for many so I understand both sides even people without kids can be extremely busy. Its all where you put your energy
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: