Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 09:30 PM

4,073 posts, read 8,980,712 times

Advertisements

That's the reality of choosing a town that doesn't "fit". If there aren't many working moms, thenyou won't be accommodated. It's not ideal, but it's that simple. Where there are mostly SAHM's, weekends (and evenings)are often reserved for family. We've lived in both types of places; neither is better, but it helps if you fit with the norm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2013, 08:46 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michele powell View Post
OK I wave the white flag! The whole point was missed I did speak with some of the other moms they also would prefer weekends due to the fact they would not have to worry about care for their smaller children etc. My whole point was the person who stays at home (which I have done before and made sure not to leave out working parents when it came to things of this nature) this a reward for all they have earned all year. which I got her to all of that stuff. Did not offer a weekend date to choose from. No one got to pick a weekend date! All I was saying was put it out there for everyone to vote on with both weekend and week day. I would never ask someone to miss work or a family vacation for a water park for a day. Really can not compare those things
While I think the focus on who is being rewarded is nonsense and a little sour grapes, I wonder why you are bringing up to US that there should have been some discussion but rather to the troop leaders? Hav you spoken to any of them?

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
I would worry more about my child if the outing was scheduled over the weekend, which is likely to be far more crowded than during the week.

In the past, I have been more than happy to supervise the child of working parents so they didn't miss out on an activity. It works well when the two kids are good friends anyway, so they want to stick together. it really isn't that hard to watch an extra child under those circumstance, so I would ask rather than disappoint my child.

Old 04-17-2013, 08:49 AM

Quote:
I am not looking to start a united front it will not help. There are only two working moms the other mom who would prefer weekend has a smaller child and likes weekend so as not to have to find a sitter. I live in an area where not many moms work. I was trying to understand the mind set since when I was in their shoes and did not work I would still think about the other side. If they would have offered both weekend and weekday and weekday was picked I would not be posting. It was more of a am I missing something type of thought then lets start a war.
So you have already decided not to speak to the troop leaders, deciding instead to try and understand THEIR "mindset" by asking a bunch of strangers on the internet. No one will know their mindset better than they will. I suspect if you spoke to them with politeness and respect in the name of common understanding, they would likely, at very least, explain their mindset. Rather you have chosen to get your knickers in a twist. Does not seem like good problem solving to me.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:29 AM

356 posts, read 916,908 times
To the OP: it seems to me that you are ” venting” here. I get it. I have a 9 year old who does GS and most of their activities have been right after school when I am still at work. When you are ready to listen to suggestions, mine are as follows:

1) Nicely ask the troop leader if a weekend date was considered or could be considered. Point out your situation and also that sahm may appreciate being able to take only their GS and not their other children or that dads may want to go.

2) Reconsider asking another parent to watch your child along with theirs. 8 years old is not so young. This is a.group activity. A 1:1 child to adult ratio should not be necessary, except for children who are poor swimmers, perhaps. Our school does an annual weekday at a local amusement park, and parents frequently take responsibility for their kids' friends whose parents are working. IMHO, sometimes you just have to ask for help and let go.

Old 04-17-2013, 09:47 AM

606 posts, read 944,178 times
Quote:
I do not want to push my child on anyone at an event such as this. If anything would happen that person would feel awful and so would I
Fair enough, but I doubt most people would feel like you were "pushing your child on them" -- especially if you proactively offered to take their kid(s) somewhere for a comparable amount of time on a weekend. People would understand that you can't necessarily just take off and I don't think they'd want your daughter to miss out.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:16 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,563,875 times
Thankfully there's a lot of give and take in my community regarding working moms. If activities need to be scheduled in the week, it's a given that the SAHM's will help out with the kids of the working parents. It's not rocket science, just part and parcel of being part of a community.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Thankfully there's a lot of give and take in my community regarding working moms. If activities need to be scheduled in the week, it's a given that the SAHM's will help out with the kids of the working parents. It's not rocket science, just part and parcel of being part of a community.
Yup.

Old 04-17-2013, 12:40 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
If all the working moms decline both dates it won't be much of an outing. talk to the troop leaders. Talk to the other moms. If it is an ongoing problem and nothing changes, maybe you could find a different troop. you can only do what you can do.

Old 04-18-2013, 04:44 AM

19 posts, read 20,166 times
For the person who thought I did not speak to the troop leader I did. She just said those are the dates. I explained my side thinking it was just an oversight that they did not think about people who worked since there are not many at all. I thought it first it may have been because the thought process would be a weekend is more crowded then a weekday. I understand that except I would think the weekend before schools get out would not be anymore crowded then the first full day school is out. Just my mind thought may or may not be correct. I am not bitter so those comments are not warranted. I was just trying to understand the mindset. I have been on both sides and always considered both working and non working. I would be more comfortable if the event was closer its a hour and a half away. That's just me. If it were event 20 minutes away it would make me more comfortable. Besides its a water park. Seems like some people want an argument. that's not my intention as I have said several times I was trying to understand the mind set or though process. I have spoken with people that are sahm and they said they would have preferred the weekend too so they would have to take their younger children. Everyone will be bringing siblings so each parent has around 3 kids. NOONE in my group would want to start an argument about it. It was brought up to the troop leader and it is not an option. She controls the purse strings on the funds and she ran the troop so at this point it is what it is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
View detailed profiles of: