U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 02:35 PM

16,833 posts, read 14,619,028 times

Advertisements

Get her a teaching watch. Let her learn what the numbers mean for a while first. Until she really knows that 2:45 is the equivalent of 2.75 she won't understand adding or subtracting time.

You can't learn to read time and do math with it at the same time. Its learning subtraction before learning to count. It won't work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2013, 03:30 PM

23,768 posts, read 17,686,425 times
Loved that video.

"The first hand is the hour, the second hand is the minute and the third hand is the second." I almost died.

I knew a 17 year old girl who could not tell time. It was pathetic. She kept having to ask her mother what time it was.

She stated she didn't need to learn the clock because most were digital. All I could think was that in many places of work, they are not. Don't know how she's going to do in life if she can't tell time.

Old 04-16-2013, 03:52 PM

11,457 posts, read 15,092,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
Loved that video.

"The first hand is the hour, the second hand is the minute and the third hand is the second." I almost died.

I knew a 17 year old girl who could not tell time. It was pathetic. She kept having to ask her mother what time it was.

She stated she didn't need to learn the clock because most were digital. All I could think was that in many places of work, they are not. Don't know how she's going to do in life if she can't tell time.
They use their phones to tell time, keep a digital timepiece at home, or they ask other people. My grown daughter struggles with clocks, when the hour hand is not clearly pointing at a number she is not sure of the time. She's not stupid, but she does have math dyslexia and it manifests itself in strange ways.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:04 PM

36,496 posts, read 45,198,262 times
I read an interesting article some time ago about how the watch industry is struggling because young people see no use for wrist watches and many adults don't either. Everybody uses their phones to tell the time and of course, ovens, TVs and most of our electronics are digital too.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:36 PM

3,087 posts, read 6,785,714 times
Teaching time is something the schools do beginning in Kindergarten, with each grade level adding on more information each time they teach it. It certainly is a confusing subject for many, but by 4th grade all the basics should have already been taught.

I have to wonder did her school take it out of their curriculum or just barely teach it? Or did she just not learn it and her teacher never noticed or just kept going anyway?

Too late now for that.....however, learning to tell time is a multiple step learning process and if a child doesn't understand one of the earlier steps, they will struggle from then on until it suddenly clicks for whatever reason. They have to understand that time is a measurement and like other measurements it uses different terms and formulas. The normal counting by ones/tens/hundreds is not useful in timing or other things like weighing things, liquid measurement or conversion to metrics. Telling time is merely learning to look at a clock and reading it. Time problems in math use formulas and those formulas are different than regular math problems.

If you can get her to understand that it is actually a formula, and not simple math, then she can move past the idea that she needs numbers to add up to 10/100 etc. It sounds like you began to accomplish this and just need some more time to get it to sink in fully.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:38 PM

5,209 posts, read 9,341,944 times
I bought both of my boys wrist watches with the regular clock face (not digital). They both thought it was cool to walk around with a watch on their wrist and it helped them to tell time. I think it kind of reinforced what they were learning in school. Later on, we got them good old fashioned, non-digital alarm clocks which they still use.

Old 04-16-2013, 04:40 PM

35,107 posts, read 41,842,368 times
I had an issue with my youngest son and learning to tie his shoes. He is left handed and could not grasp what I was showing him since I am right handed. I then taught myself to tie my own shoes left handed then showed him how to do it and we were done in a matter of minutes.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:49 AM

17,097 posts, read 16,051,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Three Wolves In Snow View Post
I knew a 17 year old girl who could not tell time. It was pathetic.
You do not want to know how many teenagers I tutor who cannot tell time from an analog clock.
It's a surprisingly difficult concept for many older kids to grasp.

I don't know that it's pathetic as much as it's concerning, especially in light of the fact that there are fewer and fewer non-digital timepieces around with which to teach them.

Old 04-17-2013, 05:59 AM

5,209 posts, read 9,341,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
You do not want to know how many teenagers I tutor who cannot tell time from an analog clock.
It's a surprisingly difficult concept for many older kids to grasp.

I don't know that it's pathetic as much as it's concerning, especially in light of the fact that there are fewer and fewer non-digital timepieces around with which to teach them.
I actually know an adult or two in their forties that can't read an analog clock. They grew up around analog clocks and were taught how to read clocks just like everyone else back in the day but there is something about the concept of the visual clock that just does not click with them.

They do understand the concept of time on a digital clock and they can do math word problems related to time. But show them a picture of a clock face or give them an actual analog clock and they are lost.

Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM

4,792 posts, read 6,976,371 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
I read an interesting article some time ago about how the watch industry is struggling because young people see no use for wrist watches and many adults don't either. Everybody uses their phones to tell the time and of course, ovens, TVs and most of our electronics are digital too.
So tue I haven't worn a watch for a long time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting