Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM

685 posts, read 1,104,788 times

Advertisements

Taking away the beloved binkie and the bottle at age 1 or trying at age 3? Which do you think will be a smoother transition? I love seeing pre-schoolers, and it seems to be higher among boys, who look at least 4 years old being pushed around in their carriages, bc heaven forbid they walk, with their pacifiers in their mouths.

My child was off the bottle by age 1 and a few months old, and it a slow transition. I took her pacifier away at around 10 months. Now that's she's almost 2 and screams at the top of her lungs to where she almost turns purple, I'm sure it would have made sense to wait bc "Oh, she can't live without it." I've never heard of a child combusting into flames after taking away either.

Last edited by Me 82; 04-23-2013 at 11:28 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 11:20 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Good CNN story about the dangers & current advice regarding bottle use.

Doc talk can help get babies off bottle at 9 months, study says - CNN.com

Old 04-23-2013, 11:36 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
She would have found self soothing things that didn't cause cavities..
I've been thinking of this. What is soothing? What makes us think that our babies are so incompetent that they cannot manage this simple thing? When they are very small, you sooth them. As they develop, and your bond grows, you support their safe soothing efforts. In the final analysis, eventually they will sooth themselves. But I wonder at the whole conversation about soothing. Is the world of a 2 year old so awful that they are going to grow up to be mutants if we ask them to learn new soothing techniques? Let's say, for argument sake, you did not transition from a bottle around 1 when it would have been easy. Zillions of us have been there done that. So we really think our children so fragile that at 2 we cannot say to them, I know you want your bottle. But it is time to drink from a cup. would you like your blanket? Or you baby? Do we really think that that is going to cause some kind of trauma to the kid?

Old 04-23-2013, 11:49 AM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I've been thinking of this. What is soothing? What makes us think that our babies are so incompetent that they cannot manage this simple thing? When they are very small, you sooth them. As they develop, and your bond grows, you support their safe soothing efforts. In the final analysis, eventually they will sooth themselves. But I wonder at the whole conversation about soothing. Is the world of a 2 year old so awful that they are going to grow up to be mutants if we ask them to learn new soothing techniques? Let's say, for argument sake, you did not transition from a bottle around 1 when it would have been easy. Zillions of us have been there done that. So we really think our children so fragile that at 2 we cannot say to them, I know you want your bottle. But it is time to drink from a cup. would you like your blanket? Or you baby? Do we really think that that is going to cause some kind of trauma to the kid?
I agree..2 year olds can throw dozy tantrums and as soon as the parent is out of sight be 100% okay..

Old 04-23-2013, 11:50 AM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
Quote:
I would love to see those studies..
Here's one from 2005:

Researchers' Test Can Predict Cavities

"Unlike cholesterol, humans' sugar chain makeup is 100 percent genetically determined and cannot be changed. The USC researchers found that the sugar chain makeup in saliva can predict a child’s future cavity history to plus or minus one cavity with greater than 98 percent confidence. "

Old 04-23-2013, 04:28 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
She would have found self soothing things that didn't cause cavities..
Probably not. When we did get her off the bottle, she started grinding her teeth so badly she lost several teeth. Most likely, the grinding would have just started younger. Her bottle was a stress reliever.

Last edited by Ivorytickler; 04-23-2013 at 04:43 PM..

Old 04-23-2013, 04:31 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,520,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2012 View Post
Actually a lot of new studies now say that genetics is the determining factor in tooth decay, not what you eat or drink.
I could have told you that. Dh and dd#1 NEVER get cavities. Getting dd#1 to brush her teeth is like pulling teeth. Yet she has perfect check ups. Then there's dd#2 and I. We brush, floss, use fluoride and have 1 or 2 cavities every time we go in. It doesn't matter what we do. Interestingly, with teh exception of the cavities caused by the sealants the dentist put on her baby teeth (ironically to protect them from the bottle), her cavity pattern has not changed pre to post bottle. It doesn't seem to matter what she does. She's going to have 1-2 cavities per trip. We're not risking her adult teeth on sealants. She lost four baby teeth from them.

Old 04-23-2013, 04:43 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
I just looked at images of "bottle mouth". I may have nightmares tonight.

Old 04-23-2013, 06:24 PM

297 posts, read 502,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
I could have told you that. Dh and dd#1 NEVER get cavities. Getting dd#1 to brush her teeth is like pulling teeth. Yet she has perfect check ups. Then there's dd#2 and I. We brush, floss, use fluoride and have 1 or 2 cavities every time we go in. It doesn't matter what we do. Interestingly, with teh exception of the cavities caused by the sealants the dentist put on her baby teeth (ironically to protect them from the bottle), her cavity pattern has not changed pre to post bottle. It doesn't seem to matter what she does. She's going to have 1-2 cavities per trip. We're not risking her adult teeth on sealants. She lost four baby teeth from them.
I had the same experience with my kids. Neither of them liked the bottle very much and neither had a bottle past the age of 18 months. I breastfed so the bottle to them was a necessary evil when I wasn't available. My daughter takes after me and has had so many cavities her whole life and she is the one that hates junk food and never had a sweet tooth. My son loves all things sweet, but takes after his dad and no cavities!

Old 04-24-2013, 08:49 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
They have some great new items for little kids these days. Take her shopping for some great looking sippy cups...Have her actually throw her bottle away...in exchange for her new cup. Make this a fun experience. Tell her because she is a big girl now she gets a special cup.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting