Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 05:13 AM

1,137 posts, read 1,398,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by raindrop101 View Post
Their money, their child, their business.
True but the rest of us are allowed to have an anonymous opinion on an internet parent thread.

As far as I'm concerned teens and convertibles is a recipe for disaster.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 07:10 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
I KNOW I wouldn't ever get my teen one. Even if they're responsible, there's usually some irresponsible peer who'll do something to wreck or damage it for them..Chances are the car won't last long anyways...I just hope the girl doesn't get hurt. Unless the parents can do the same for their son, they really shouldn't be doing for one what they can't/won't do for the other.... THAT seems very unfair.

Old 04-20-2013, 07:25 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,835,660 times
My first car was a convertible at 18. I have actually only had convertibles my whole life. He is doing her a huge disservice as now she will only want convertible because they are so fun!!!!

Old 04-20-2013, 08:13 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
For those concerned about the safety aspect of a convertable, this isn't the 1980s any more. Crash protection standards have come a long way, and modern convertibles are designed to protect the occupants in case of a rollover. That's why the A-pillars are so bloody thick.

Old 04-20-2013, 08:37 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
I had one when I was 16 and I turned out okay (I think).

The question you should be asking is why didn't your parents get you one?

Last edited by CAVA1990; 04-20-2013 at 08:51 AM..

Old 04-20-2013, 09:24 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
I don't see why everyone's all over the OP. All she did was ask for an opinion... on a message board, like everyone else here. She didn't ask what she should do about it. We might as well ask the PTB to shut down the entire message board if people are going to be posting to ask opinions on something.

Really people... get a grip.

Oh... and what the parents did is generally a stupid idea. *GASP* I stated an opinion! Ban me!

Old 04-20-2013, 09:31 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
I don't see why everyone's all over the OP. All she did was ask for an opinion... on a message board, like everyone else here. She didn't ask what she should do about it. We might as well ask the PTB to shut down the entire message board if people are going to be posting to ask opinions on something.

Really people... get a grip.

Oh... and what the parents did is generally a stupid idea. *GASP* I stated an opinion! Ban me!
Eh...she did more than that. "Only" asking an opinion looks like this: "What do you think of giving a 17 yo a convertible?"

She described her sister as a show-off and her niece as an entitled brat - then got mad at anyone who disagreed. If you don't want to hear opinions that differ from your own - best not to ask in the first place.

Personally, I probably wouldn't give a 17 yo a convertible - for a variety of reasons. But frankly, what another family does is their business. One of my kid's friends got a convertible when she was 16. She is a very nice and responsible young woman. I'd guess it's the job of the parent to decide whether their child can handle the responsibility of any kind of car.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:44 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
Eh...she did more than that. "Only" asking an opinion looks like this: "What do you think of giving a 17 yo a convertible?"

She described her sister as a show-off and her niece as an entitled brat - then got mad at anyone who disagreed. If you don't want to hear opinions that differ from your own - best not to ask in the first place.

Personally, I probably wouldn't give a 17 yo a convertible - for a variety of reasons. But frankly, what another family does is their business. One of my kid's friends got a convertible when she was 16. She is a very nice and responsible young woman. I'd guess it's the job of the parent to decide whether their child can handle the responsibility of any kind of car.
So the heck what? So she expressed her opinion on her brother and SIL's actions. BFD. She didn't ask what to do about it. She asked for opinions of the other posters, and all she got was MYOB... she did. But yet, many answered the question as if she was looking to resolve a problem. She wasn't trying to do anything about it, yet that's how posters responded.

As per the 2nd bolded, we may as well shut down the board. People post about other people all the time. And by the way, her brother did bring up the question at a family dinner (or whatever it was). So it's not like she intruded on what was going on.

If people have a problem reading other opinions, then they need to not read here.

Really, lighten up and read what the specific question is. It's not that hard. Get some practice.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:52 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,647,423 times
What a great gift! I hope your niece has warm weather, so she can let her hair blow in the breeze as she zips around town.

Old 04-20-2013, 10:57 AM

38,707 posts, read 103,185,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
So the heck what? So she expressed her opinion on her brother and SIL's actions. BFD. She didn't ask what to do about it. She asked for opinions of the other posters, and all she got was MYOB... she did. But yet, many answered the question as if she was looking to resolve a problem. She wasn't trying to do anything about it, yet that's how posters responded.

As per the 2nd bolded, we may as well shut down the board. People post about other people all the time. And by the way, her brother did bring up the question at a family dinner (or whatever it was). So it's not like she intruded on what was going on.

If people have a problem reading other opinions, then they need to not read here.

Really, lighten up and read what the specific question is. It's not that hard. Get some practice.
And we expressed our opinion of her opinion. Sue us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting