U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2013, 03:49 PM

4,792 posts, read 6,988,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by zonababe View Post
What a great gift! I hope your niece has warm weather, so she can let her hair blow in the breeze as she zips around town.
It's also a lot of fun after a snow storm driving with the top down on snow covered roads.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2013, 04:27 PM

14,609 posts, read 14,511,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I learned more about responsibility after I got my first car.
I learned basic mechanics and body repair when I got mine. It cost £50 and wasn't worth it!

Old 04-20-2013, 06:32 PM

14,131 posts, read 27,643,155 times
How sad for the niece that she has such a resentful family member who would trash talk her and her parents to strangers on the internet. By the way, I've never met anyone who said "gee I wish my parents hadn't given me such nice things as a kid".

Old 04-21-2013, 09:53 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,421,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Jealous ? that is cute what are you 12 or something ...No it was discussed at a family dinner with which my brother was present and we were all talking about it the kids were not there of course but my brother asked everyone to weigh in .
Oh my. Wonder why your brother asked everyone to weigh in about something that had already been done?

Yes, it seems kind of irresponsible. My son borrowed my convertible (soft top) for a while b/c of long commutes to his internship (2 x the gas mileage over his Jeep) . . . and I installed a roll bar b/f even allowing him, a responsible young adult, to take it. While I totally agreed w/ it being a gas saving measure, his safety was top priority to me. So I question a convertible for a 17 y/o on the basis of it not being the safest mode of transportation.

However, the rest of it . . . niece being spoiled, irresponsible, whatever! . . . that is no one's business, even if it is very accurate. Your brother has the right to be an indulgent parent, even if it is not the best move for helping his daughter become a responsible person.

Why he would ask others how they felt about it is the part that is strange to me. Was he aware that other family members were talking about the car behind his back so he just decided to get it all on the table, or what? Or do you think he said it just to "one up" the rest of the family - like saying - look what I did that none of you can afford to do? I am grasping at straws here b/c I can tell you are truly concerned about all this.

Old 04-21-2013, 09:57 AM

11,636 posts, read 20,945,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I told my mother I think they are showing off and she agreeded with me and she said that it was foolish of him (my brother) and his wife to buy a 17 yr old a convertible sports car the girl is not working and all she does all day is go to school and hang out with friends . She is not being taught any responsibility and when my mother talked to my brother about it his response to my mother was well she has plenty of time to be an adult and worry about bills and working right now I want her to be a teenager and have fun .. my mother and I were both floored . It is not as if this kid is responsible or does anything to deserve such a present . Her grades are not even that good and she has no manners at all and I dont even think she said thank you for the car .I think my brother and his wife are going to be sorry in a few years raising her and her brother so spoiled . Her brother on the other hand gets barely anything but an atta boy and good job and this poor boy is always home doing the cleaning and the cooking sometimes too while his sister sits on her butt talking on her cell phone to her friends and her bedroom is beyond a night mare . I mean what do you all think bad idea on the covertible sports car yeah or nay ? All of the family on this side think it is a bad idea and that girl is a spoiled rotten brat and will continue to be .....
I wonder why anyone would sit around and discuss the parenting decisions of a family member. I certainly would not appreciate it if my brother sat around discussing my parenting decisions with other family members.

Quite simply, it is not your business. It never will be your business. Surely there is something going on in your life that is more important to you than your brother's choice of a car for his child.

Old 04-21-2013, 10:00 AM

2,763 posts, read 4,876,730 times
Their money, dont know why it matters to you what they bought.

Old 04-23-2013, 05:21 PM

1,248 posts, read 1,866,342 times
My parents bought my brother and me brand new cars as soon as we got our license. I see nothing wrong with it. We took great care of the cars, and it taught us the responsibility that comes with owning a car such as making sure to get the car serviced when it was time and even how to change a tire. My brother and I turned out just fine, and we were never spoiled, entitled brats. I think you are jealous and that you should mind your own business. I can guarantee you that your brother and your mom sit around and bad mouth you and your parenting choices. This is exactly how my husbands family acts. You should instead be happy for your brother that he is financially able to provide things like this for his family. Stop being so petty.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting