Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 04:06 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,556,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Seriously--do I need a medical degree to know that a child that presents with pneumonia like symptoms, especially at 5 weeks old, should at least have a CBC done to check for an infection. As the parent of a child with a chronic medical condition, I know enough to know that there are simple tests to be done and given that my child has several cases of pneumonia each year, I'm plenty qualified to tell another parent that seeking a second opinion is a good idea.

Never once was it suggested to me as a parent to attempt to suck out mucus from the throat of an infant--nose, sure, but throat, never. I find that advice to be off the mark.
The baby has been examined by multiple physicians, and nowhere was the mention made of pneumonia, a very easy diagnosis to make on physical examination, and with a chest x-ray.

I think it's very dangerous for people with no medical background to give out specific medical advice to new parents on a parenting forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 04:36 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,795,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northsider14 View Post
I took her to Children's last night because I noticed some whistling while she was breathing. They were very nice. Before we got there she kept doing the coughing and choking thing. but one we got there she wasn't doing it anymore. Drs said its just an upper respiratory infection so there is nothing I can do about it. Last night I got her choking on camera so I'll show it to her pediatrician when she has her 2 month check up on the 14. Me and hee father both have asthma so I'm not sure if that has something to do with it but hopefully I have answers soon!
From reading what you were describing throughout the thread, it does sound like an Respiratory infection. From my experience, they are going to keep things very minimal that they do with her. Each time I turn around they are saying don't do this and don't do that when our grandparents and parents did them and we turned out fine. I have had one Dr tell me that using the "snot sucker" could cause more issue if used too much. Is your humidifier a cool mist humidifier? Is she running a fever?

Old 04-29-2013, 04:44 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,694,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
The baby has been examined by multiple physicians, and nowhere was the mention made of pneumonia, a very easy diagnosis to make on physical examination, and with a chest x-ray.

I think it's very dangerous for people with no medical background to give out specific medical advice to new parents on a parenting forum.
I agree. The OP spoke to her ped today, will take the child in tomorrow. Hopefully, she'll let us know what s/he says.

Old 04-29-2013, 05:27 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,282,830 times
Quote:

Dangerous to tell a new parent that is still worried about her child to seek another opinion--how exactly is that dangerous ?

Yes, pneumonia is pretty easy to diagnose with the proper tests, however, those tests were not done.....which is why everyone is suggesting she seek another opinion, which she is doing....

Old 04-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfgal View Post
Dangerous to tell a new parent that is still worried about her child to seek another opinion--how exactly is that dangerous ?

Yes, pneumonia is pretty easy to diagnose with the proper tests, however, those tests were not done.....which is why everyone is suggesting she seek another opinion, which she is doing....
Oh please, that is not what you posted and you know it.

Old 04-29-2013, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Oh please, that is not what you posted and you know it.
Really??

Old 04-30-2013, 03:17 AM

How is your daughter doing? Let us know what the pediatrician says.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:09 PM

111 posts, read 347,539 times
We just got back from her appointment and the Dr did the same thing (listened to her breathing) and said " she's just learning how to cough" I don't know what else to do because I know this isn't normal. Is there any way for me to show you guys the video on here. My cousin seen it and said it seems like whooping cough. Her daughter had it before when she was 3 weeks old and they kept sending her home until one day her lips started turning blue and they finally tested her for it.

Old 04-30-2013, 01:12 PM

Did you show the pediatrician the video?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:20 PM

111 posts, read 347,539 times
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=521445684569402
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting