U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-26-2013, 02:58 PM
 
13,161 posts, read 8,058,281 times
Reputation: 25360

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
If you're shopping around for a school that allows strapless clothes, you're probably going to be shopping for awhile. Most schools I've come across don't allow them.
If thats what a parent wants to base their school choices off of, whether or not their child can wear strapless clothes, then they need to rethink their priorities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-26-2013, 03:48 PM
 
912 posts, read 882,484 times
Reputation: 1564
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
My impression...

..from what I can tell it is a very small district, at least compared to the one we live in. There is only one middle school. I doubt the decision to ban strapless dresses was made in secret, with no other school officials knowing, prior to the complaints of the one mother. I'd also almost bet that the decision was made after some sort of fiasco with dress at a previous function.
It was in NJ, and we have MANY, MANY, small districts. Which is why our property taxes are so damn high.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Our school board rarely gets involved in these sorts of issues. The superintendent in our district would more than likely be the one to reverse any such decision, although that would be doubtful.
Some school boards here do get involved in crap like this. I agree, it is not a school board issue. If a parent does not like the dress code, then the kid doesn't go to the dance. I think the dress code is a bit misguided (I feel there are far worse things being worn to school dances then strapless), but if that is the rule, then it is what it is.


M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
y guess would be, that if she did not come back solely based on the hearsay comments alone, she was given a generous package to leave. The public would not be privy to all the negotiations that happened behind closed doors Or her contract status hadn't been decided for the upcoming year. Districts aren't as quick to fire staff as one might think.
She probably won't get fired, but she may get reassigned elsewhere. You would be surprised how often that type of thing could happen. We just had a principal reassigned for making a "bad" decision (not quite as dumb as this), but parents complained en masse, and now she is in another school....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 04:15 PM
 
Location: West Roxbury, MA
289 posts, read 480,363 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
Would I want my middle school daughter to wear something provcative? No.
But it's my job as a parent to decide that, not the schools.

Besides, since when is it the female's job to control the male's behavior with what she wears?
This is a very slippery slope.
Males should be held accountable for their own behavior.
Absolutely. This is along the same line as "You shouldn't teach girls to dress so they won't be raped, you should teach boys not to rape."

Some religions are (excuse me) hell-bent on girls from a very young age keeping their shoulders and arms covered because they might become "walking pornography (honest!) for a boy. Time for boys and men to control themselves and grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM
Status: "Deep and Dark December" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,545 posts, read 104,871,472 times
Reputation: 34097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
Absolutely. This is along the same line as "You shouldn't teach girls to dress so they won't be raped, you should teach boys not to rape."

Some religions are (excuse me) hell-bent on girls from a very young age keeping their shoulders and arms covered because they might become "walking pornography (honest!) for a boy. Time for boys and men to control themselves and grow up.
I think way too much is being made of the principal's comments. I think her remarks about the boys were inappropriate. However, I do think that she was speaking off the cuff, and didn't think about what she was saying. It happens.

I think trying to bring religion into this is making a mountain out of a molehill. This is about a dress code for a dance. I don't think middle schoolers, even 14 yo middle schoolers, need to be buying formal dresses for an end of year dance.

These dresses are not cheap, either.

http://www.jjshouse.com/Special-Occa...arrival/?sbc=1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:11 PM
 
16,046 posts, read 20,359,878 times
Reputation: 26328
In this day of too much too soon for so many young people I'm pleased to see some boundaries. Eighth grade is pretty young. Something they can look forward too in High School.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-26-2013, 08:31 PM
 
Location: here
24,841 posts, read 30,801,982 times
Reputation: 32481
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I guess I just assumed that was obvious. When I'm planning anything with my family we look at the venue, weather, what to wear, times, etc. together. Isn't that what most people do?
I think people have different ideas of how that discussion should go. Some would discuss what type of dress is allowed and why. Some would discuss why the rule is stupid and how to try to get around it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 07:25 AM
 
Location: West Roxbury, MA
289 posts, read 480,363 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think way too much is being made of the principal's comments. I think her remarks about the boys were inappropriate. However, I do think that she was speaking off the cuff, and didn't think about what she was saying. It happens.

I think trying to bring religion into this is making a mountain out of a molehill. This is about a dress code for a dance. I don't think middle schoolers, even 14 yo middle schoolers, need to be buying formal dresses for an end of year dance.

These dresses are not cheap, either.

New Arrivals, Formal Dresses, Cheap Formal Dresses, Special Occasion Dresses - JJsHouse
I think it is appropriate. To teach girls from a very young age as part of "religion" that their bodies are shameful and a source of sin to the superior sex is to set them up for a lifetime of self-esteem, body issues and second-class citizenship. Barefoot, pregnant, covered and submissive as your lot in life is abuse and starts with kids a lot younger than eighth graders. As someone who spent ten years as a member of a religious community, I've seen this in action; decisions like this are generally based on religious standards.

In my opinion, of course.

On the other hand, I agree with you that the principal may have been speaking off the cuff and didn't expect the reaction she got, but often when we speak "off the cuff" it reflects our truest attitudes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 08:27 AM
Status: "Deep and Dark December" (set 5 days ago)
 
Location: Foot of the Rockies
88,545 posts, read 104,871,472 times
Reputation: 34097
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
I think it is appropriate. To teach girls from a very young age as part of "religion" that their bodies are shameful and a source of sin to the superior sex is to set them up for a lifetime of self-esteem, body issues and second-class citizenship. Barefoot, pregnant, covered and submissive as your lot in life is abuse and starts with kids a lot younger than eighth graders. As someone who spent ten years as a member of a religious community, I've seen this in action; decisions like this are generally based on religious standards.

In my opinion, of course.

On the other hand, I agree with you that the principal may have been speaking off the cuff and didn't expect the reaction she got, but often when we speak "off the cuff" it reflects our truest attitudes.
Did the principal bring religion into this discussion? Not from anything I read. Nor did she talk about "barefoot, pregnant, covered and submissive as your lot in life". Good gravy!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 08:34 AM
 
Location: West Roxbury, MA
289 posts, read 480,363 times
Reputation: 436
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
Did the principal bring religion into this discussion? Not from anything I read. Nor did she talk about "barefoot, pregnant, covered and submissive as your lot in life". Good gravy!
You're right. I've over-read-into this. I acknowledge I am overly invested.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
 
Location: here
24,841 posts, read 30,801,982 times
Reputation: 32481
Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbarney View Post
You're right. I've over-read-into this. I acknowledge I am overly invested.
At least you realize that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2020, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top