U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:56 PM

1,096 posts, read 1,417,240 times

Advertisements

These dances should be allowed ONLY during the senior year of high school. If the kids need to have a dance make it formal age appropriate dress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2013, 09:59 PM

22,256 posts, read 23,874,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
These dances should be allowed ONLY during the senior year of high school. If the kids need to have a dance make it formal age appropriate dress.
What are "these" dances? This was an 8th grade dance - hard to have it as a senior in high school. Are you saying there should be no dances until 12th grade?

Old 04-29-2013, 10:31 PM

32,525 posts, read 31,619,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
I was in middle school in the 60's. We had a LOT of dances back then in the Paleolithic Era. Friday night was dance night in the gym. The parents loved it because it gave us something to do which meant we weren't out burning down the Bank of America. (60's joke.) Why can't middle school kids have a dance?

Old 04-30-2013, 12:51 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,296,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaaBoom View Post
”Young ladies should wear a skirt, dress with straps or a dressy pants outfit.”

"Dressy pants outfit", not just "pants". That sounds formal to me. It sounds to me like the school wants them to dress up, but not dress up too much. I agree with the parents, the school is being too picky. They are making it difficult for the parents to figure out what to dress their kids in.

It's the school that is causing the problems. Why is a Middle School having a dance like this anyway? When I went to Jr. High School we had sock hops. Girls were supposed to wear a blouse and skirt. Seems much more appropriate for that age group.

But if you are going to have formal dance in a Middle School, then shut up and stop complaining about girls wearing formal dresses.
There's a difference between semi-formal and formal. At a formal, girls DO NOT wear pants.

Old 04-30-2013, 06:11 AM

14,330 posts, read 10,712,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
There's a difference between semi-formal and formal. At a formal, girls DO NOT wear pants.
This tends to be geographical. Rules of dress are really loosy goosy here. Girls, do indeed, wear pants at "formals". Lesbian girls wear tuxedos, sporty girls wear pant suits...

Old 04-30-2013, 06:38 AM

36,496 posts, read 45,303,001 times
Generally speaking you will see many beautiful and formal pants outfits at "Formal" functions in Washington D.C. and NYC. They are usually black with some bling and with flowing lines, not so much structured pants suits.

Old 04-30-2013, 08:47 AM

22,256 posts, read 23,874,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
Generally speaking you will see many beautiful and formal pants outfits at "Formal" functions in Washington D.C. and NYC. They are usually black with some bling and with flowing lines, not so much structured pants suits.
What are their dates wearing? Betting that khakis and polo shirts wouldn't be acceptable.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:01 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,296,306 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
This tends to be geographical. Rules of dress are really loosy goosy here. Girls, do indeed, wear pants at "formals". Lesbian girls wear tuxedos, sporty girls wear pant suits...
I live in the land of casual, and at formals you will see very, very, very few girls wearing pants. Even the biggest tomboys don't wear them. Of course, most dances aren't formal out here.

Old 04-30-2013, 12:12 PM

14,330 posts, read 10,712,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psr13 View Post
I live in the land of casual, and at formals you will see very, very, very few girls wearing pants. Even the biggest tomboys don't wear them. Of course, most dances aren't formal out here.
<Shrug> You apparently, live somewhere different than where I live. That and a 10 spot will get you a Starbucks.

Old 04-30-2013, 02:07 PM

24,841 posts, read 30,979,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I have seen nothing that indicates that this was to be a formal dance. I have seen clearly written guidelines for how to dress. A girl in a formal would look silly with a boy in khakis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting