Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
I get that, but it is irresponsible to teach your kids that rules don't apply to them. I can see taking a stand about something that is truly unfair, or wasn't widely known, but a student was punished for not following, or something that is actually a *big deal* This is not a big deal. It is not unfair. It is not surprising. IMO the parents have set a horrible example. They are teaching their kids to whine and complain if they don't get their way. Do you want them doing that in your home when you set the rules?
I already said that this isn't an issue where I would put up a fight. It just isn't important enough. Go back and reread my posts.

I do not advocate blindly following rules. That's how Nazi Germany was able to thrive. The Nazis made rules that were inhuman and the German people followed them because "rules are rules" and they apply to everyone. A dress certainly does not fit into the category of immoral and I would not go to the school administration over something like this. It is superficial and unimportant. If there were a dress code my kids would follow it even if I thought it was stupid.

Kids have got to learn when to buck the system and when to go along to get along. There are times when each is appropriate. It is very dangerous to teach your children to just follow the rules with no thought as to what they are doing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2013, 05:57 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
You're going to have to home school if you expect to agree with every rule the principal/administration makes.

You can open enroll in many states.
I would say it is less common to be able to open enroll than it is to have to go to your zoned school.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:46 AM

1,149 posts, read 4,205,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
Hmm, I don't see it that way. IMO, the same parent that would be permissive about VS underwear are the same ones that would be in a hurry to put their daughters in a strapless dress.

Read your other comments, how do you really know who VS is marketing to. The Pink line is definitely aimed at younger consumers.
Sure... college aged students. Not 12 year olds. I just looked at their homepage... the models look younger (older than college aged though) and collegiate is pretty much labeled everywhere.

And you would (obviously) be surprised at how quick parents (at least in the NE) will toss their daughters in strapless dresses, but are quite concerned about their undergarments. As they should be, with what they allow their daughters to normally wear.

Old 04-26-2013, 06:57 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larkspur123 View Post
I actually agree with your sentiment about not blindly following rules, and I've had some conversations with my kids about when it might be okay not to follow the rules.
When possible, it is better to attempt to change the rules from within.

Quote:
While obviously school rules are not laws, at our junior high if you didn't not comply with various conditions for the casual mixer type functions they had, you wouldn't gain entrance...that was explicitly made clear before these functions occurred. So ultimately kids do have a choice to comply or not go.
Such is life, would you not say?

Old 04-26-2013, 11:30 AM

1,664 posts, read 3,956,535 times
"Kids have got to learn when to buck the system and when to go along to get along. There are times when each is appropriate. It is very dangerous to teach your children to just follow the rules with no thought as to what they are doing."

WOW, teaching your child to "buck the system" is why the schools are in the present state. No discipline, rules or respect of the teachers. Kids are foul mouthed and over sexualized. It is very sad. And, no one is learning much of anything. School is where they need to follow the rules.

I would love to see all our children well educated and happy, the perhaps they can graduate from High School able to be productive for themselves and our nation.

Old 04-26-2013, 11:41 AM

1,450 posts, read 1,897,955 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarryEyedSurprise View Post
Sure... college aged students. Not 12 year olds. I just looked at their homepage... the models look younger (older than college aged though) and collegiate is pretty much labeled everywhere.

And you would (obviously) be surprised at how quick parents (at least in the NE) will toss their daughters in strapless dresses, but are quite concerned about their undergarments. As they should be, with what they allow their daughters to normally wear.
I guess I'm more of a cynic about companies like VS.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:05 PM

It blows my MIND that people are discussing changing schools or sucking it up and such drastic things. Not one parent has discussed the merits of discussing these issues with their daughters.

Old 04-26-2013, 12:32 PM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
It blows my MIND that people are discussing changing schools or sucking it up and such drastic things. Not one parent has discussed the merits of discussing these issues with their daughters.
I guess I just assumed that was obvious. When I'm planning anything with my family we look at the venue, weather, what to wear, times, etc. together. Isn't that what most people do?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
I guess I just assumed that was obvious. When I'm planning anything with my family we look at the venue, weather, what to wear, times, etc. together. Isn't that what most people do?

Doesn't seem like it! If you did, what need to consider stupidity like enrolling in another school?

Old 04-26-2013, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
Doesn't seem like it! If you did, what need to consider stupidity like enrolling in another school?
Rhetorical "you".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting