Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 03:01 PM

136 posts, read 237,752 times

Advertisements

Hi Folks. My 20 year old son is moving out in July with a girl he says is just a friend...one with benefits. They are both moving out together for the first time and out of state. Got a hard road in front of them as they didn't go to college and will have zip money after moving. What can I do to stay out of his business and keep from offering advice meant to help but doesn't want. And.....the heartbreak of not having him near me anymore. My concern makes him upset and by concern I mean asking him if he knows of the areas to stay out of and to make sure everything works before handing over money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 PM

2,718 posts, read 5,358,488 times
Why would you hand him money?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleasach View Post
Why would you hand him money?
Not me handing over money...him and his friend handing over a deposit for rent!

Old 04-24-2013, 03:15 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
What can I do to stay out of his business and keep from offering advice meant to help but doesn't want.
Don't offer advice unless HE asks for it.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:19 PM

Great. Any advice on how to fill the void of your only child leaving you to live with a mess of a person?

Old 04-24-2013, 03:21 PM

297 posts, read 502,596 times
No advice, it's hard. I moved out at 19 and I turned out fine. I ended up going to college later and I have a great job now. I was sad too when my daughter went away to college, but it's part of life and they will find their way. Not always right away, but eventually. The best thing is to tell him you love him and that you support him no matter what. I always told my daughter she could come home whenever she wanted. I think if they know you are there as a safety net, that they will feel they can ask for help if they need to. I would rather my kids ask for help than do something really stupid because they had no other choice.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,078,069 times
Honestly---- make him watch several weeks of Judge Judy. The best way for people to learn about the stupid ignorant mistakes so many people make when it comes to handling money, friends, debt, cars, leases--absolutely everything.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:22 PM

22,591 posts, read 47,660,494 times
Get yourself some hobbies... volunteer... any number of things.
Kids grow up and leave; that's the way of the world.

Mine are gone and I miss them terribly. But that is the natural order of things.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:23 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,951,751 times
Quote:
Hi Folks. My 20 year old son is moving out in July with a girl he says is just a friend...one with benefits. They are both moving out together for the first time and out of state. Got a hard road in front of them as they didn't go to college and will have zip money after moving. What can I do to stay out of his business and keep from offering advice meant to help but doesn't want. And.....the heartbreak of not having him near me anymore. My concern makes him upset and by concern I mean asking him if he knows of the areas to stay out of and to make sure everything works before handing over money.
It is hard to let them go. But, chances are, he'll make a go of things. It won't be easy, but acknowledging he is striving towards independence is a good first step. Kids are resourceful, and I know a few who didn't do the college thing, but are still supporting themselves.

As a recent empty nester myself (although my boys are still in college, they just don't live at home) reconnect with your spouse, and reach out to friends. It really helps.

Let your son know the door is open, even if the wallet won't be.

Old 04-24-2013, 03:28 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Great. Any advice on how to fill the void of your only child leaving you to live with a mess of a person?
Yes. Think about the fact that this is the person the son YOU raised chose.

He's 20, not 9. And think about the fact that he wants to live on his own and not in your basement. Cheer up. He's moving out and "Supermax" isn't in the name of the place. He's doing what normal 20-year old's all over America do: tell Mom to butt out because he wants to do it on his own.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting