Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2013, 05:54 AM

12,420 posts, read 3,232,082 times

Advertisements

I agree with Malamute. After 2 ectopic pregnancies and one miscarriage, I finally had a wonderful pregnancy. Our daughter slept with me...yes, we had a crib but never used it, and yes, I slept in a bed with her in her room for a few months. She and I then moved in to our bed (my husband's and mine), and the three of us slept there for about 4 years. I breastfed until she was over 3 years old (ha...probably there are some eyerolls now). Anyway, none of this affected my marriage or sex life, and we have been married for 32 years. SIDS?? That's why I slept with her, so that wouldn't happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2013, 07:27 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,916,488 times
Cosleeping Around The World - The Natural Child Project

Quote:
Japan, another industrialized country, not only has one of the lowest infant mortality rates (less than 3 infants per 1000 live births compared with around 7 for the United States), but one of the lowest SIDS rates in the world (between .2 and .3 babies per 1000 live births compared with approximately .5 per 1000 infants for the US). The Japan SIDS Family Organization reported that SIDS rates continue to decline in Japan as maternal smoking approaches practically 0, and exclusive breastfeeding reaches around 70-75 % . In fact, one report shows that as bedsharing and breastfeeding increased and as maternal smoking decreased, SIDS rates decreased. This suggests yet again that it is not necessarily bedsharing, but how it is practiced, that can be dangerous.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:45 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindersslipper View Post
You are relying on dated information. 1988 is a quarter of a century old, written back when no one really knew what caused cot death.

SIDS Australia is promoting "safe sleep", with fact sheets dated 2012.

Safe Sleep means your baby has its own bed...this is to lower the risk. Co sleeping increases it.

It's math. Australia leads the world in SIDS research. We had the highest rate, now we've got the lowest, which makes us world leaders in its reduction.

Because of the research...ie, the math, SIDS has gone from being relatively common to "rarely heard of".

It hasn't been one change in particular, it's been research, statistics, and recommendations made by scientists (not baby nurses) that has lowered the rate.
Pssst, they're now recommending you share a sleep space with your baby for at least the first six months of life, preferably 12. Their list of how to safely cosleep is the same as the one previously posted. Read their FAQ.

We're world leaders in SIDS reduction because we used to lay our babies face down on a sheepskin. Nowhere else in the world did that.

Old 05-29-2013, 09:46 AM

861 posts, read 2,718,109 times
I'm sorry but who wants to sleep with no pillows or blankets.....?
Like I sad many pages ago, our son slept by himself in his crib from day 1.
We had a great monitor that even had a sensory movement pad, so if he had stopped breathing an alarm would have sounded.
(This is the monitor is anyone is interested: Amazon.com: Angelcare 4 Piece Baby Video Sound and Movement Baby Monitor System Ac1100, Gray/White: Baby )
We thought this setup was much safer. If he was in a bassinet next to me and stopped breathing, how would I have known if I was asleep?
My son slept through the night starting at 8 weeks, and we were well rested and functioning parents. Everybody won.

Old 06-01-2013, 06:42 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherLynn822 View Post
I'm sorry but who wants to sleep with no pillows or blankets.....?
Like I sad many pages ago, our son slept by himself in his crib from day 1.
We had a great monitor that even had a sensory movement pad, so if he had stopped breathing an alarm would have sounded.
(This is the monitor is anyone is interested: Amazon.com: Angelcare 4 Piece Baby Video Sound and Movement Baby Monitor System Ac1100, Gray/White: Baby )
We thought this setup was much safer. If he was in a bassinet next to me and stopped breathing, how would I have known if I was asleep?
My son slept through the night starting at 8 weeks, and we were well rested and functioning parents. Everybody won.
That's just not fair! I gave birth to The Child Who Would Not Sleep... unless there was motion, like in a car seat, or human contact.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting