Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2013, 10:29 AM

345 posts, read 871,652 times

Advertisements

we are having our first child, baby girl, baby is due in 2 months..

So far finished clothing purchase but still need to get Travel System (Stroller + car seat) with extra base (we have two cars), Crib etc..

When I search online there are way too many options, not sure which one to choose, which one is good, what's reasonable cost..overwhelmed..please help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2013, 10:37 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
I'd look at online reviews of these products too.

Oh and is 2 months enough time to get a crib? I think cribs can take a while to get, but then again I assume you have a bassinette as well.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:45 AM

5,989 posts, read 6,786,737 times
You'd be shocked at how little you actually need. There is no vulnerable consumer like a first time expectant parent.

All you need to take the baby home from the hospital is a little layette clothing, a crib or bassinnette (you can manage with just a bassinnette until about 5 months old), a couple of cheap supermarket bottles and a can of formula powder just in case the breastfeeding fails, and a bucket carseat - you don't have to have the bases yet, because they also strap in without the bases.

Ask friends and relatives for hand me downs - someone will have the bucket seat for you. If someone's going to have the crib to hand down in six months, take that. Go to a big box store with a baby department and look at stuff, try it out. Don't buy the converts to a bed crib - it's not usually what people wind up using later on. Just get a straightforward, safe, sturdy crib.

Old 11-27-2013, 10:53 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
I had 4 without a bassinet. If we had to bring baby to our room we used a laundry basket-either wicker or plastic and made sure no rough edges or wrapped them in sheets. My mother had me and my brother in empty drawers from the dresser! Don't bother with diaper genie or all those extra things which make a baby so expensive. Receiving blankets can be kitchen towels or cloth diapers if you use them only for over the shoulder safety.

Any older mother will tell you they raised kids just fine without all the extra things they sell today. Most of us turned out just fine!

Old 11-27-2013, 11:02 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,964,041 times
We got a Graco travel system and used it for both our kids. We got a gender neutral pattern. We got a ton of use out of it. It wasn't expensive and it worked well for our needs. We also bought a convertible crib from BRU and also used it for both children.

I recommend getting a pack-play with a diaper changer attached. We set up downstairs in the famiy room and used it often. It saved us from having to go up and down the stairs. We also got a vibrating bouncy seat that came in handy as well.

Those were our most used items along with clothes of course.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:06 AM

2,845 posts, read 6,015,477 times
My husband and I aren't pregnant yet but you can also go to secondhand stores that specialize in baby/childrens clothing and accessories. There are at least 3 in my area and everyone says they are great deals

Old 11-27-2013, 11:11 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,108,088 times
For the best buys on all things children check out your local Mothers of Multiples Club. They have huge consignment sales usually in early spring and early fall. If you join and work a few hours you get first dips. You bring your own bags- or most bring laundry baskets with ropes attached and drag them around.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:34 AM

1,029 posts, read 1,489,805 times
I'll second the Graco nomination. I used ours with both kids, and, amazingly, the stroller was still working when the youngest decided he was done (that was about 5 years total of use).

When shopping for cribs and strollers, we went to several stores that sold baby things and tried them out. Could I fold the stroller with one hand (sometimes you'll be holding the baby with the other)? Could I put the stroller in the car by myself (one was heavy, so I nixed it)? Was the crib convenient to use? Then...it came down to which crib matched the other furniture in the baby's room.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:36 AM

16 posts, read 28,944 times
Quote:
You'd be shocked at how little you actually need.
False. The modern baby require thousands of dollars worth of gadgets and gear just to survive. You are supposed to read through all the baby magazines in the OBs waiting room and learn about all the products you can't live without.

In seriousness: google "minimal baby gear" or something and you'll have a lot fewer products to research.

Old 11-27-2013, 11:43 AM

345 posts, read 871,652 times
Thanks for all posts, Looking at various websites for travel system and crib as suggested by posts.. Trying to any stores that sell used ones, I'm told that the travel system/car seat will be useful for an year or two and then we need to get another car seat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting