Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2013, 03:04 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,685,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
You young thang! 1958 here. 48 states in the US/stars on the flag.
You babe in arms! 1949, Truman was still the pres!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2013, 03:12 PM

29,737 posts, read 34,352,243 times
I have a coworker with a son named Lincoln. Previously, the only Lincolns I knew were dogs, so I can't help thinking that they named their kid after a dog.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:13 PM

4 posts, read 5,958 times
Re. the comments on the name 'Harper.' Ouch!

Yep, I know that wasn't Harper Lee's real first name but we loved it and it fits our daughter perfectly. Not everyone's cup of tea but that's okay.

If we had a boy, we were going to name him Declan. Good thing we didn't because, then, people might think he's in the klan. If we do have another child and, if it's a boy, we'll name him Declan.

When I delivered out daughter, our nurse told us that a young girl had a baby girl and named her.....Cocaineah (cocaine but with a 'uh' sound at the end).

Old 04-30-2013, 03:35 PM

8 posts, read 12,321 times
I think Harper is a beautiful girl name.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:39 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,696,519 times
I love the name Harper, too.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:46 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
My name screams early 60's. It was the Haylee, Caylee, Bailey of its day. And yet, I survived!

These name threads are always interesting. I love to read names that others have such strong feelings about.

When a friend named her daughter Emma about 16 years ago I didn't know any other little girls named that--now they're everywhere. I think Harper will be the same way. First heard of a baby named that about 3 years ago and now it appears to be coming on strong. Funny how that works.

Another funny things about names is that even if they sound completely odd or "out there" to you when you first hear them, it takes no time at all til they sound very "normal." I remember when a friend named her son Sebastian and all I could think about was the crab from Little Mermaid. Now all that comes to mind when I hear Sebastian is this kid I know.
Hahaha, that made me laugh out loud. I had a great-uncle "Bas" who was Sebastian.

It may be that I haven't been up to date with the Harpers and Declans because I no longer have a little kid or too many friends of child-bearing age. I do have one friend who has a toddler girl and is expecting a second baby later this year. Her daughter is Olivia. That's been around for a while, though, and in my memory, goes back to Olivia Newton-John and Olivia Hussey.

My niece just announced that she is pregnant. Wonder what she'll name her kid.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulani View Post
I might be a youngin' but I bet I graduated the same year you did.
I just read the starting school thread. I was 4 when I started school and graduated in '76.

And, to keep this on topic... I really hated my name growing up. It was everywhere! However, since my parents gave me an alternate spelling (yes, how fun it is to have to tell people how to spell such a simple name ) I am the only one with my name (first and last) in the whole country! (Yesterday I found a link that someone posted to some page about names and I checked it out. )
Yup, 1976!

My daughter is the only one with her first/last name combination in the whole country, too. The last name is silly-sounding and awkward to spell, which is why I dropped it when I divorced it.

But my original name--fairly common first AND last names--there are a lot of us. As a matter of fact, a friend (also born in 1958 and who has the same first name and spelling as I do) sent me a list of all the people she found with my name when she was trying to look me up on Facebook. I use my middle initial to try to dredge up whatever little bit of uniqueness I can.

I once thought it would make a good story to contact other people with my name and sort of interview them. I reached out to four--one is a man who teaches at the University of Canberra, Australia. Others were a woman who has an interior design business in Atlanta, a woman on the council of one of the Navajo communities out west somewhere, and a woman in the midwest who runs a hot-air balloon company. The interior designer simply sent me information on her company, but the balloon woman responded and said if I was ever in her area to look her up and get a free balloon ride. Didn't hear back from the Navajo or the Australian.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,435,548 times
My granddaughter's name is Isabella, which, is a great name; however, I'm thinking she must be called Izzy at school, although no one admits it.

Old 04-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harper's Mom View Post
Re. the comments on the name 'Harper.' Ouch!

Yep, I know that wasn't Harper Lee's real first name but we loved it and it fits our daughter perfectly. Not everyone's cup of tea but that's okay.

If we had a boy, we were going to name him Declan. Good thing we didn't because, then, people might think he's in the klan. If we do have another child and, if it's a boy, we'll name him Declan.

When I delivered out daughter, our nurse told us that a young girl had a baby girl and named her.....Cocaineah (cocaine but with a 'uh' sound at the end).
I'm sorry! I certainly didn't mean to insult your beautiful child. I just never heard of that name for a little girl, but it appears I am out of touch with popular baby names these days.

My niece's second daughter was Shawna, and we all cringed at the time she was born but she's such a bright and personable kid, now around 7 years old, so now the name doesn't sound bad at all, and I can't imagine her with any other name.

Definitely would take a Harper over a Cocaineah.

Old 04-30-2013, 04:06 PM

7,357 posts, read 11,752,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
freeze-dried hippies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting