Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-11-2013, 08:04 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,793,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Coincidentally, my local TV new station had the top ten most popular names for baby boys and girls listed on their program tonight and more on their website.

[

Boys

4. Jayden

Funny I know quite a few Jaydens, they are all girls.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-11-2013, 11:40 AM

29,742 posts, read 34,376,832 times
I just saw a mention of a Carsyn and a Jaxon on Facebook. Yeeps.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:44 AM

410 posts, read 1,107,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
Yes.

Another irritation is when parents, ignorant of the true meaning of a name, give a boy's name to a girl just because they think the name is a girl's name. Case in point: a girl named Etienne. Etienne is a male name in France and its English equivalent is Steven/Stephen.
Alexis is another one that drives me crazy. I had a big argument with a relative over the fact that Alexis is really a boys name. I had to prove her wrong. Female version would be Alexia. Lots of white girls with this name, mostly teenagers or older now, but I've noticed the Hispanic population using it correctly in the last few years, on boys.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:51 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
I'm all for giving girls a "boys" name, in fact I wish more parents would do it. Many parents do it to give their child an advantage out in the real world, and why not give your child every little advantage you can? Sad but true, there is still plenty of sexism out in the world. Someday she might want to pursue a "male" profession and discover there are still plenty of employers who will favor a resume with a name that might be "male."

The names I dislike are names like "Bambi." Talk about a name that could potentially hurt your child's future career. Unless she wants to be a stripper.

Old 05-13-2013, 07:20 AM

24,561 posts, read 40,277,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Alexis is another one that drives me crazy. I had a big argument with a relative over the fact that Alexis is really a boys name. I had to prove her wrong. Female version would be Alexia. Lots of white girls with this name, mostly teenagers or older now, but I've noticed the Hispanic population using it correctly in the last few years, on boys.

LOL yes! The only Alexis I know is female, white, and pushing 40. It's such an odd name on her.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 6,674,898 times
I was at a fundraiser last weekend for children with heart disease. One of the little boys in the slideshow was named Jwill. I'm not sure how that is pronounced!

I met a woman named Aloha once. Was sure it was a nickname, but nope, it's her real first name. Kinda pretty, just had never heard it before.

I went to high school with Arley Orley Farley, and my brother went to school with Rusty Pipes. I also knew a William William Williams.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:34 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soonerguy View Post
Alexia is Alice in Latin. Back in the olden days birth certificates were written in Latin, my grandmother's name was Alice and her birth certificate states her name as Alexia. I took the name Alexia for my Confirmation name, way before the name became popular.

Old 05-14-2013, 10:51 AM

18,469 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm all for giving girls a "boys" name, in fact I wish more parents would do it. Many parents do it to give their child an advantage out in the real world, and why not give your child every little advantage you can? Sad but true, there is still plenty of sexism out in the world. Someday she might want to pursue a "male" profession and discover there are still plenty of employers who will favor a resume with a name that might be "male."

The names I dislike are names like "Bambi." Talk about a name that could potentially hurt your child's future career. Unless she wants to be a stripper.

That is completely stupid to name a girl a boys name.

and no, i would not name my daughter a boys name.

think of how hard stuff is like that on applications and stuff, they call our Mr so and so, and it is a girl.
to me, that seems utterly riidiculous to name a girl a boys name.

i bet no one would want to name a boy a girls name.

Why hello there Mrs Smith, have you met my two daughters?, this is Ralph she is 3 and this is Anthony she is 5.

sounds pretty stupid, doesn't it

actually is makes the parents seem like illiterates, kinda like giving a name a way out spelling....

Old 05-14-2013, 12:55 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,644,605 times
I know of a Christian couple who named their first son Neveah. Talk about an opportunity to be prejudged. I feel sorry for the kid.

Old 05-14-2013, 01:03 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,319,638 times
I don't understand this whole Nevaeh trend. Why not call the child Heaven rather than spelling it backwards?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting