Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2013, 02:29 PM

3,184 posts, read 4,825,010 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I don't understand this whole Nevaeh trend. Why not call the child Heaven rather than spelling it backwards?
Or at least make their name a palindrome. Like Racecar or Rise to vote sir.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2013, 03:08 PM

466 posts, read 812,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
I used to work with a lady named Johnnie. That was her real name. Not short for anything and not a nickname.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Often Willie was used with a distinctly female middle name - Willie Mae seems to have been popular. The Willie in my family was one of about eight sisters - and only two brothers, which may have been a factor in her naming.
My mom, born in the early 1950s, is a Johnnie. Her middle name is not Mae, but I remember her telling me when I was little about some other person she had known named Johnnie Mae. And at some point, we were watching a TV movie and one of the characters was named Johnnie Mae.

Old 05-14-2013, 04:34 PM

2,628 posts, read 4,279,630 times
I have a former coworker who named his son Wolfgang... odd but not crazy. His last name is 'Bangs' though, so if you flip the location of the pause between syllables you get Wolf Gangbangs.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:42 PM

20,218 posts, read 14,450,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chemistry_Guy View Post
I have a former coworker who named his son Wolfgang... odd but not crazy. His last name is 'Bangs' though, so if you flip the location of the pause between syllables you get Wolf Gangbangs.
LOL!

I wanted normal first names and slightly more unusual middle names for my boys.

Eric Alexander and Stephen Wolfgang is what we went with.

I had a weird old lady I used to work with say, when I told her what I was naming my second son, "Wolf-gang!? What kind of a name is that?? I wouldn't name a DOG Wolf-gang!!" I ignored her. I think it's cool.

And since it's the middle name, he can use it, or not, as he gets older.

If we'd had a girl, she would have been Rosa Leigh.

At my old job in Washington, we had a woman my mother's age with purple hair and tattoos change her last name to Free after her divorce. Another lady about the same age had the last name Bird. Yeah.

And frankly, the names I like least are the boring default names, especially boring middle names. Mine is Anne. My mom thought she was being different tacking an 'e' on the end. *sigh* Marie is just as overused, but prettier.

Old 05-14-2013, 07:55 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,355,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm all for giving girls a "boys" name, in fact I wish more parents would do it. Many parents do it to give their child an advantage out in the real world, and why not give your child every little advantage you can? Sad but true, there is still plenty of sexism out in the world. Someday she might want to pursue a "male" profession and discover there are still plenty of employers who will favor a resume with a name that might be "male."

The names I dislike are names like "Bambi." Talk about a name that could potentially hurt your child's future career. Unless she wants to be a stripper.

I liked the idea of naming a girl Charlotte and calling her "Charlie." I fell in love with the name Charlie after seeing Top Gun in my youth. (I also have a friend who did just that, so Charlie is off the table for me. )

Other names like Georgina and calling her "Georgy," Francesca and "Frankie."

Old 05-14-2013, 08:16 PM

18,364 posts, read 31,448,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheImportersWife View Post
I liked the idea of naming a girl Charlotte and calling her "Charlie." I fell in love with the name Charlie after seeing Top Gun in my youth. (I also have a friend who did just that, so Charlie is off the table for me. )

Other names like Georgina and calling her "Georgy," Francesca and "Frankie."

OK, yeah, that I totally get, a nickname.....and that's fine, because the girls name is really the legal name

but to actually name a girl a boy name, yeah, I have a problem with that..

Old 05-14-2013, 08:22 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,355,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
OK, yeah, that I totally get, a nickname.....and that's fine, because the girls name is really the legal name

but to actually name a girl a boy name, yeah, I have a problem with that..

So don't give your daughters boy names. Problem solved.

Old 05-14-2013, 08:45 PM

23,878 posts, read 32,156,993 times
Hope this is not thought of as off topic - but what are some names that you do like?

Old 05-15-2013, 10:17 AM

12,003 posts, read 11,809,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
Hope this is not thought of as off topic - but what are some names that you do like?
Irina.

Old 05-15-2013, 01:11 PM

92 posts, read 455,933 times
I have known one Grayson, she was a girl.

On the A&E show Bates Motel, there is a love interest, popular high school girl character named Bradley.

And if I named my daughter after the place of conception, she would have been Shower
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting