Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2014, 02:27 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopew View Post
My names Calliope and Days of our lives Is where my parents got it
Calliope is a very old name....it was a Greek Muse of music.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2014, 04:39 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,645,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calliopew View Post
My names Calliope and Days of our lives Is where my parents got it
I always thought that was pretty name.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
My eldest daughter's name is Cynitria (Sin-ee-tree-uh) and her younger sister's name is Egypt. We get a lot of comments on those names. Youngest boy is named Leightian (Lay-shin) and we get tons of people asking how to pronounce it. Lol.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:39 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,500,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Here are a few names I'd love to see sported by a few popular celebrities, so that the names could make a major comeback. They really are pretty names. Too bad they've all become so unpopular... but if just one celebrity was named Esmerelda think how fast it would catch on. There would be hundred of little girls with the name

Mabel
Myrtle
Esmerelda
Gwendolyn
Hazel
Charity
Genevieve
Camille
Good god, what a bunch of horrid names. Myrtle and Camille are 2 of my least favorite female names, right up there with Molly. I knew a Charity once, everyone called her Charmander >.>

I'll admit Esmerelda has grown on me since the beginning of this post

My eyes are hazel

Genevieve sounds ancient

Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 PM

14,305 posts, read 11,697,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Here are a few names I'd love to see sported by a few popular celebrities, so that the names could make a major comeback...

Hazel
Hazel IS making a major comeback. Down at #942 in 1998, then a steady rise all the way up to #157 in 2013. Apart from celebrity usage, it keeps popping up in young-adult fiction and best-sellers. Hazel may be old and musty to those of us who are past our baby-naming prime (I definitely count myself in this category), but to teens and twenties, it is sounding very cool.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:09 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
I know a woman named Tyson, and I simply can't get used to it. To me it sounds SO masculine, and I don't like the name, Period.

I also don't like Dakota for a female and I despise Tristan - it sounds too feminine to me for a man.

I know a little boy named Maximillian and he doesn't use a shortened version like Max.

Jasper, Ralph, and Sydney are more names I hate. I have a niece named Sydney and her sister is named Ashland. Father wanted to name them after "places". Crazy!

Old 09-20-2014, 01:21 AM

513 posts, read 799,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesmama View Post
I know a woman named Tyson, and I simply can't get used to it. To me it sounds SO masculine, and I don't like the name, Period.

I also don't like Dakota for a female and I despise Tristan - it sounds too feminine to me for a man.

I know a little boy named Maximillian and he doesn't use a shortened version like Max.

Jasper, Ralph, and Sydney are more names I hate. I have a niece named Sydney and her sister is named Ashland. Father wanted to name them after "places". Crazy!

I hate Tristan too. The one that blows my top more than any other is the "dans". Brayden, Jayden, kayden, Hayden, etc. seriously people!

I can't really talk. My name is the most popular female name of the 70s and 80s, can you guess what? But I decided to name my daughter something original, but plain at the same time. Laina. It was between Laina or Lily-Ana.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:28 AM

10,229 posts, read 16,299,621 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gcs15 View Post
I hate Tristan too. The one that blows my top more than any other is the "dans". Brayden, Jayden, kayden, Hayden, etc. seriously people!

I can't really talk. My name is the most popular female name of the 70s and 80s, can you guess what? But I decided to name my daughter something original, but plain at the same time. Laina. It was between Laina or Lily-Ana.
I like Laina. Different, pretty, and feminine. And for the same reasons, I love Lisa - which could be 'different' now because it isn't used anymore.

Oh, and here's another name I can't stand: Blaine! Why?????

Old 09-20-2014, 04:04 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,249,167 times
Quote:
I like Laina. Different, pretty, and feminine. And for the same reasons, I love Lisa - which could be 'different' now because it isn't used anymore.

Oh, and here's another name I can't stand: Blaine! Why?????
Lisa is a nice name, although it'll always make me think of The Simpsons. My daughter's middle name is Liisa (Finnish spelling, looks nicer in my opinion too), as it was the middle name of both her grandmothers.

Old 09-20-2014, 08:41 AM

5,413 posts, read 6,705,034 times
Quote:

Maybe crazy for you....but nothing wrong with any of those names. I bet not one of those people really cares what you think of their names

The world would be boring if we all were called nothing but Ann and David and thankfully most people have progressed beyond that. I grew up with a name not common for my area and it was hard during the 60s and 70s....which is why I love seeing such a variety of names and most people having no problems.

PS: The woman with the name Tyson? If she's from the South chances are it's a family name...it's common in many southern families. ...and has been for hundreds of years....to give the oldest daughter her mother's maiden name as a first name....but heaven forbid that it offends you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting