Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-25-2014, 02:03 PM

2,084 posts, read 2,608,835 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
My kids name are Ringo, Rocco and Rafaella. How do you guys perceived these names in America? We will be moving to the US soon (from Southeast Asia) and I'm a bit concerned of their names in the US. These names were actually cool fro the place we come from and never realized we will be heading to US (company transfer).

Is it true that Ringo and Rocco are mostly used as pet names in US?
Ringo: Makes me think of the musician Ringo Starr. His real name is Richard, though.

Rocco: Rocko's Modern Life? I don't know any pets with that name but I think it's getting more trendy now.

Rafaella is fine. I actually think it's kind of pretty. Ringo is the one I would raise an eyebrow at.

Anyway, the worst names I have heard lately are Harlequin and Tempest for girls. Harlequin shouldn't be a name used for anyone. It reminds me of a clown, Harley Quinn (The Joker's girlfriend) and the terrible condition Harlequin ichthyosis.

I also heard of a person once who gave his daughter the middle name Abcde. It was pronounced "ab-see-dee." LOL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2014, 03:45 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,734,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Declan's Dad View Post
I realize that Declan is becoming a more popular name but I just hope it doesn't become as popular and trendy as the whole aiden/brayden/jaden/caden my mommy and daddy are f-ing idiots that like trendy names phenomenon.

We chose the name at a time when the name was not very popular. We just really liked the naem and are irish so it seemd logical.

We named our daughter Paige.

Here's another dumb stripper name........... Amber
So, basically... the names you happen to like are 'good' and 'logical', while the names you don't happen to like are 'stupid' and 'dumb'.

Self-absorbed much?

Old 09-25-2014, 06:12 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Acquanetta Warren, mayor of Fontana, Calif. (You could look it up). And strange as it may seem, there are several other Acquanettas in the U.S.

Hairspray, anyone?
I read a book once in which Aquanetta was the name of a drag queen.

Old 09-25-2014, 06:27 PM

113 posts, read 113,480 times
My daughter in law in naming my granddaughter Jazz Lynn. Uh huh.

Old 09-25-2014, 07:33 PM

5,413 posts, read 6,662,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I read a book once in which Aquanetta was the name of a drag queen.
A book....yeah....we all know fiction and drag queen's names are the same as what parents name there kids.

Old 09-25-2014, 08:04 PM

88,042 posts, read 83,879,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScarletG View Post
A book....yeah....we all know fiction and drag queen's names are the same as what parents name there kids.
You never know--since there are apparently all these Aquanettas running to and fro now, who is to say their mothers didn't read the book and think it was a great name? (Doubt that's true--Aquanetta appears in a hilarious but rather obscure 1990s novel about gay twins separated at birth who find each other as adults.)

And plenty of people name their kids after fictional characters. Ever hear of someone named Scarlett? Ayla? What about the Bruce/Demi girl named Rumer?

Old 09-25-2014, 08:37 PM

113 posts, read 113,480 times
What about actor David Shatraw? In Texas there was a female philanthropist named Imma Hogg.WhenLeno was on the tonight show,he was making fun of her name.It made me mad that her mother would actually name her her that.From what we researched about her,she was a very generous lady.

Old 09-26-2014, 09:52 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,611,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kent_moore View Post
My kids name are Ringo, Rocco and Rafaella. How do you guys perceived these names in America? We will be moving to the US soon (from Southeast Asia) and I'm a bit concerned of their names in the US. These names were actually cool fro the place we come from and never realized we will be heading to US (company transfer).

Is it true that Ringo and Rocco are mostly used as pet names in US?
Your kids have nice names and they will be fine. Depending on where you move to there may be some smiles or raised eyebrows at "Ringo" and maybe "Rocco," but they're not so out of the norm that anyone will think them super strange.

Old 09-26-2014, 01:45 PM

2,794 posts, read 2,918,392 times
We named our daughter Jovie.... we love it... some of you may hate it. Our opinion wins because that's all that matters... LOL!

Lesson for all expecting parents... don't ask for any opinions or share thoughts of names your considering... and stay away from threads like this, LOL!!!

Old 09-26-2014, 07:35 PM

12,169 posts, read 17,590,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by psurangers11 View Post
We named our daughter Jovie.... we love it... some of you may hate it. Our opinion wins because that's all that matters... LOL!

Lesson for all expecting parents... don't ask for any opinions or share thoughts of names your considering... and stay away from threads like this, LOL!!!
Very cheerful name, does she have a middle name? Fun and jovial.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting