Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2013, 02:39 PM

818 posts, read 857,430 times

Advertisements

I fully intend to get a counselor. Like I said, it( the roses and Chicago) probably wasn't the best thing to do but it did get her to talk to me

Old 05-04-2013, 02:59 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
I fully intend to get a counselor. Like I said, it( the roses and Chicago) probably wasn't the best thing to do but it did get her to talk to me
Excellent! Let us know how things proceed. I wish you luck, seriously.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 PM

any advice on how to get her to come with me without causing drama? In a perfect world, she would come with me just because I asked nicely and because we love each other and want to help our son. But I can see this turning into another situation of her getting upset, locking herself in the bedroom, and making me sleep on the couch.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:14 PM

298 posts, read 332,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
Dude, you're just so...wrong (I'd say senseless, but people are easily offended.

First, who cares if mom doesn't talk to him? Do you mean the dad? Well, the dad cares. The son is not worth breaking up this marriage over. But the son knows he has this power because of the blinders mom is wearing. And the son is exploiting his mother, and she's just too dumb to know it.

Sure, it'll work itself out over time. Doesn't make mom right. It actually demonstrates her stupidity. When kid moves out (or is forced out), then it'll be considered worked out. And no one is saying the kid has to have a career path set. We're saying the kid has to start taking responsibility for himself to start becoming an adult, and not be dependent on his parents the rest of his life.

Are you even reading the same thread as everyone else? I suspect you were/are in the same position as this kid, and you're playing your senseless mother against your dad.

I mean it will work itself out in the sense that the kid will figure out his life, even if the parents do nothing.

Those things have a way of working themselves out.

What you are suggesting is akin to when the government tries to manipulate currency in order to improve the economy and then the economy tanks even further as a result.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
any advice on how to get her to come with me without causing drama? In a perfect world, she would come with me just because I asked nicely and because we love each other and want to help our son. But I can see this turning into another situation of her getting upset, locking herself in the bedroom, and making me sleep on the couch.
From the sounds of it I'd say doubtful. But you can't go through life miserable because you are too afraid of causing drama to stand up for yourself. I'd just say that you have made an appointment for counseling because you are unhappy with how things are going lately. Say that you love her and you'd love for her to join you, but it's up to her. And do it.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:18 PM

298 posts, read 332,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Then nothing will change Irish. SOMEBODY needs to be the adult here.

Effective how? By getting your wife to talk to you? Why wouldn't you expect to be able to have a rational, mature discussion with the other adults you live with? Seriously, find a counselor, ASAP.

But nothing should change. It's been the same way for 18 years.

It shouldn't radically change because some forum posters think so.

When his wife says, "Why are you being such a jerk all of a sudden?" he will either have to lie or say, "Some woman named Mattie from the city-data forums told me to."

Oh, I'm sure that will have a LOT of credibility!

Old 05-04-2013, 03:20 PM

Quote:
That's what you need to focus on. You love each other, and you want to help your son. Don't bring anything else into it right now. Just keep repeating that mantra : "I love you, and we both love Junior. We need to work together for his sake."

Old 05-04-2013, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post
But nothing should change. It's been the same way for 18 years.

It shouldn't radically change because some forum posters think so.

When his wife says, "Why are you being such a jerk all of a sudden?" he will either have to lie or say, "Some woman named Mattie from the city-data forums told me to."

No, it shouldn't change because anybody here thinks it needs to. It should change because the OP and his family aren't happy with the way things are at present.

Old 05-04-2013, 03:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beat_the_Streak_MLB View Post

How is wanting to discipline a teenager being a jerk? and there's no reason to lie or bring up the forums. The truth is is that I want whats best for the teenager

Old 05-04-2013, 03:32 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Quote:
<sigh> Don't be afraid of drama. No way to avoid it. When you ask her nicely (which is how it should be done), just make sure YOU are in the bedroom so she can't lock you out. And how can she MAKE you sleep on the couch? Simply refuse. Let her sleep on the couch if she doesn't want to sleep with you. This is all part of standing up to her. What is she going to do? Send you to bed without dinner? Ground you? Oh wait... she can't do that with her kid, she can't do that to you. So why so afraid?

AGAIN... don't be afraid. Why are you in the first place?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting