Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2013, 02:01 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Probably when he was just starting his teen years
Makes sense.

She is/was caught between being a mom, having to advise him on "the right way" to navigate teen matters, and remembering her own choices during her own teen years, which she obviously has many regrets about.

Watching him grow up is a constant reminder of her own lack - What she missed out on, and what she's still missing.

Irish, repressed anger is a b*tch to deal with because it makes that person unable (and even unwilling) to empathize with others.

She's too pissed about her own life to feel sorry for anything she said while drunk.

Old 07-15-2013, 06:17 AM

4,587 posts, read 4,215,091 times
Quote:
It's repressed anger according to the counselor. This anger that feels( felt) robbed of the totality of her " young" years gets taken out on him and I.
That may be true but that's not the only thing wrong with her. Has the counselor touched upon her manipulative and spiteful behavior as well?

How about you? What does the counselor say about your behavior and how you placated her all the time by "buying" her good behavior and affection with gifts, dinners out and weekend trips? And what does he suggest you do now when she acts up?

Old 07-15-2013, 12:47 PM

818 posts, read 857,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweet*Tea View Post
That may be true but that's not the only thing wrong with her. Has the counselor touched upon her manipulative and spiteful behavior as well?

How about you? What does the counselor say about your behavior and how you placated her all the time by "buying" her good behavior and affection with gifts, dinners out and weekend trips? And what does he suggest you do now when she acts up?
He has touched on her spiteful behavior and told her to realize that it is hurting her family. He told me the best way to get affection is to give affection and really listen to her and talk to her

Old 07-15-2013, 02:47 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
He has touched on her spiteful behavior and told her to realize that it is hurting her family. He told me the best way to get affection is to give affection and really listen to her and talk to her
Give affection? How about a slap upside the head( rhetorically speaking) by packing your bags?

Irish, you have put up with a lot. I am usually on the side of the wife when I read about situations such as yours, until kids are involved. Sometimes, the best action is to split.

Old 07-15-2013, 03:55 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Give affection? How about a slap upside the head( rhetorically speaking) by packing your bags?

Irish, you have put up with a lot. I am usually on the side of the wife when I read about situations such as yours, until kids are involved. Sometimes, the best action is to split.
yup, I agree. However, it would most likely financially devastate Irish, considering she has not held a job all this time. Irish, you ought to just live a separate life while living in the same house. See how fast she snaps into reality (or not).

Old 07-16-2013, 09:16 AM

818 posts, read 857,281 times
she wants to go to dinner tonight and " talk about things"

Old 07-16-2013, 09:21 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
Can you not talk about things without going out to dinner? Talk at home. Privacy should not be an issue if your son is in the guest house right?

Old 07-16-2013, 09:25 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,342,412 times
Hmm....what do you think? This sounds a bit different than her usual, "take me to dinner so I know you love me, and I need stuff" kind of demand.

Based on her past behavior, I would guess she's going to try to bring the MC and therapy sessions to an end. She'll say, "I've been nice for a couple of weeks. We don't have a problem. The counseling is a waste of time and money." I sincerely hope that is not the case. Can you stick to your plan to continue counseling without falling prey to her denials? When she insists counseling is unnecessary can you calmly and TRUTHFULLY explain why you disagree? She really doesn't get that there is a problem with her behavior that will not be solved in a few weeks of being nice.

Irish--If you could have your "dream" marriage, what would that look like? Does it involve more than a wife that is nice? Does it involve an adult, mature partnership with honest communication? I guess what I'm trying to ask is this: is the dream marriage based on superficial, fleeting things or is it based upon substantial, meaningful sharing and understanding? You seriously need to answer these questions for yourself.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:33 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,813,321 times
Oh for heaven's sake... tell her you can two can talk at home. Geez...

Oh, and don't take any papers or envelopes she may want to hand you.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steelstress View Post
oh for heaven's sake... Tell her you can two can talk at home. Geez...
this!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting