Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2013, 10:45 AM

818 posts, read 857,430 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post

How does she feel about your son going to CC in the fall now?
She still hates the idea and has yet to involve herself in the discussion

Old 07-02-2013, 11:18 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
I'm sure it is very disheartening to spill your guts on this forum and then be called names and made fun of. I apologize. It just goes to show none of us knows what is going on in other people's marriages and homes. I'm sure others here have situations in our personal lives which would raise eyebrows.

Old 07-02-2013, 11:41 AM

Its sad that despite her change in attitude she is unwilling to get involved in a very important stage in her son's life

Old 07-02-2013, 11:45 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,189,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by irishfan77 View Post
Its sad that despite her change in attitude she is unwilling to get involved in a very important stage in her son's life
Well, if not ideal, it is at least understandable. Her world has been working a certain way for a LONG time. She has come to expect and rely on it. It is going to make her feel UNCOMFORTABLE and THREATENED. I can understand why she is not just instant turning on a dime. The oldish dog is gonna need to learn some new tricks.

Old 07-02-2013, 12:38 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,153,902 times
Quote:
She still hates the idea and has yet to involve herself in the discussion
I've mentioned it before but I wonder if your wife is concerned that if your son goes to college how she could still be a SAHM with no children at home. She may be thinking that she could "accidently" become pregnant again so that she can be a SAHM for the next 18 years.

I've heard about mothers on public assistance and in other situations where the Mom doesn't have to work until their children are in school full time, having a new baby as soon as the next oldest starts full days kindergarten or 1st grade and then five years later having another new baby (so they could continue to stay at home as a SAHM and not have to join the work force as a working mother).

I may be wrong, but if you were my brother or friend I would suggest that you stay quite vigilant about using birth control (just in case).

Old 07-02-2013, 03:32 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,084,735 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
I've mentioned it before but I wonder if your wife is concerned that if your son goes to college how she could still be a SAHM with no children at home. She may be thinking that she could "accidently" become pregnant again so that she can be a SAHM for the next 18 years.

I've heard about mothers on public assistance and in other situations where the Mom doesn't have to work until their children are in school full time, having a new baby as soon as the next oldest starts full days kindergarten or 1st grade and then five years later having another new baby (so they could continue to stay at home as a SAHM and not have to join the work force as a working mother).

I may be wrong, but if you were my brother or friend I would suggest that you stay quite vigilant about using birth control (just in case).
A lot of women and couples, welfare or not, like to plan their children this way so each baby can have full attention. Does not mean she is doing it to avoid getting a paycheck. Being a SAHM is plenty of hard work.
I do however agree that she might be thinking about that and bringing another child into this marriage would not be a good thing. I was going to say pages earlier that the smartest thing they ever did was limit their family to only 1 child.

Old 07-02-2013, 03:37 PM

We finally got her to sit down with us and discuss CC( and 4 yr schools after CC). She looked uninterested and kept looking at her phone. She only spoke towards the end. She tried to pursuade him out of discussions. " Sweetie please, this is so dumb. This is your summer, you should be out with your friends causing trouble * giggles*, hanging out with ( his gf) by the pool. This is a waste. I tell you what. Call her up and have her come over. I'll set up some chairs and make you a batch of drinks." He shot her down and she left.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:23 PM

8,590 posts, read 12,347,410 times
Quite obviously she does not want him to grow up. Has her opinion of his decision to attend college been discussed in family therapy?

On the other hand, I'm going to assume the drinks she offered to make were non-alcoholic? As I recall he's been in trouble in the past for drinking. He is also underage as is his girlfriend. It's her kid so her call on the drinking, but if my daughter had been served alcohol by a parent when she was underage, I would be furious. Guess she wants to still be the "cool" mom. She's really quite afraid that she will lose him isn't she?

Old 07-02-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Quite obviously she does not want him to grow up. Has her opinion of his decision to attend college been discussed in family therapy?

On the other hand, I'm going to assume the drinks she offered to make were non-alcoholic? As I recall he's been in trouble in the past for drinking. He is also underage as is his girlfriend. It's her kid so her call on the drinking, but if my daughter had been served alcohol by a parent when she was underage, I would be furious. Guess she wants to still be the "cool" mom. She's really quite afraid that she will lose him isn't she?
No, it has not been brought up. No, the drinks were alcoholic. The only trouble he's been in is with me over drinking, never her( 1 night of grounding remember?) I think his GF drinks also. She does want to be the cool mom and yes, she's afraid.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:55 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,343,911 times
Quote:
We finally got her to sit down with us and discuss CC( and 4 yr schools after CC). She looked uninterested and kept looking at her phone. She only spoke towards the end. She tried to pursuade him out of discussions. " Sweetie please, this is so dumb. This is your summer, you should be out with your friends causing trouble * giggles*, hanging out with ( his gf) by the pool. This is a waste. I tell you what. Call her up and have her come over. I'll set up some chairs and make you a batch of drinks." He shot her down and she left.
She's terrifying. Still a long way to go. Be thankful that your son seems to be maturing by the minute and shutting her down when she makes these ridiculous suggestions. I agree with your earlier post, you really can not trust her yet. One week is NOTHING. I'm happy for your son though
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting