Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 05:36 PM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,105 times

Advertisements

Keep the language clean please.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:34 PM

838 posts, read 1,353,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimbochick View Post
Um, pride?

When your kid gets the honor roll sticker, feel free to tell them "Tough luck Johnny, I'm not that proud of you. I'd hate for the maroons to think I'm bragging, so hope you won't be offended that I don't recognize your achievement".
Of course I would tell my child I'm proud of them. But I'm not going to flash it at the rest of the world. Why? Because no one else cares.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Braunwyn View Post
I disagree that it's bragging. Bragging tends to be exaggerations and pride over nothing. Anyhow, maybe you can explain your need to control what others are doing. I don't get it, but it is a bit narcissistic.
Never said I was trying to control anyone. I was just stating that me and most others that don't know you are not going to care.

Old 05-16-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post
The reference was to the stick figure stickers that some people put on their cars not honor roll stickers.
Gotcha.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:33 PM

19,046 posts, read 25,190,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebellious1 View Post
Never said I was trying to control anyone. I was just stating that me and most others that don't know you are not going to care.
I think a post of yours was deleted, but I saw a comment by you advocating an end to facebook or some such thing. Either way, the message I'm getting from the complainers in this thread is for parents to change their behavior, rather than simple statements of not caring. With that said, of course you don't care. None of us really care about people we don't know independent of whether we have children or not.

Last edited by Braunwyn; 05-16-2013 at 06:00 PM..

Old 05-16-2013, 05:41 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,651,821 times
Before FB...yes there was a time...I would get "newsletters"(around Christmas) from a few families documenting every achievement,vacation,promotion etc that had happend in the past year.My husband and I always wanted to send out a mock newsletter with really horrible things in it about our kids etc. but we never had the nerve!Some people are just braggers...there have always been and always will be...just different modes of bragging!;0

Old 05-17-2013, 08:28 AM

1,515 posts, read 2,273,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishiis49 View Post
Before FB...yes there was a time...I would get "newsletters"(around Christmas) from a few families documenting every achievement,vacation,promotion etc that had happend in the past year.My husband and I always wanted to send out a mock newsletter with really horrible things in it about our kids etc. but we never had the nerve!Some people are just braggers...there have always been and always will be...just different modes of bragging!;0
Lol, we send out newsletters but they are rather matter of fact and written with humor. It is more to catch up with folks and let them know what we are doing. It will be exciting to write our letter from another state. I'm always making quips about New Jersey in our newsletters and people seem to get a kick of them. Then again, I'm a bit of a smartness, hehe.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:53 AM

2,061 posts, read 1,958,249 times
I find it silly and and a counterproductive use of a person's time, to be irritated by anything anyone posts on Facebook, when one can simply scroll past the comment, without a second look. As to why parents like to brag about their kids, is usually because they love them and are proud of them.

Facebook is whatever you make it to be. You choose your friends and what can be made public. If you are getting mad or irritated it is your own fault. A major truth in life is that you can only control or change yourself, and how you react to others, you have no right to nor can you control what others say or do. Also other people don't really care how you feel or how you will react, to what they say or do, unless you are a loved one or their employer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting