U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2013, 10:05 PM

7,288 posts, read 12,322,492 times

Advertisements

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2013, 10:26 PM

45,242 posts, read 96,194,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
What would you consider the best age to have a baby?

My boyfriend really wants a kid, while I am unsure if I still want kids, I have been thinking about it. But I want to do it right. I'm 19 and in college. I want to be a dentist, so I'm looking at 8+ years of schooling. By the time I get out of dental school, get established and pay off my loans I'll be in my mid thirties. Would it be better to have a child while getting my bachelors, so that while I'm in dental school they'd be a toddler and my boyfriend would be supporting us, or should I wait to my mid or possibly late thirties to have my first child?

The second option makes the most sense financially, while the first option makes the most sense biologically.
You're 19 with a long educational career in front on you. Babies should be the last thing on your mind for another 10 years.

Seriously, focus on growing up and developing yourself emotionally, spiritually and financially.

When you have done that, THAT will be the right age to have a baby

Old 05-08-2013, 10:27 PM

9,727 posts, read 19,991,846 times
Finishing your schooling for a great career isn't really being selfish. You can consider doing it for your child(ren). As has been stated, once you're a dentist you should be able to pay off your loans and still become a mother. That's something you can decide at that time. If you have one now, consider it a trade for a life of poverty, both for you AND your child.

Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM

402 posts, read 1,365,031 times
Lightbulb 24-34

Quote:

My boyfriend really wants a kid, while I am unsure if I still want kids . . .
First of all, you should not plan to have a baby until you are sure that you want to be a parent.
There is no return policy.

Biologically: 24-34 is a good age for conceiving and carrying a baby. (25 is average for a first baby)
Compared to other age groups you are . . .

more likely to be in your physical peak: energetic and resilient (quicker recovery)
near your fertility peak (fertility peaks around 24)
less likely to have conception issues
less likely to have maternal issues like high blood pressure, diabetes, fibroids, endometriosis
less likely to have a miscarriage, (10-20% for this age group),
less likely to give birth to a premie, low birth-weight baby (<35)
less likely to have a baby with a genetic abnormality, or birth defect.

Financially: a good time is when you can afford all that a baby needs.
You may have the means to provide care for a baby while in school, but you may not. I do not know your financial situation.

Babies are expensive and time-consuming
, but there are ways to cut some costs if you really want a baby before you are rollin' in the dough.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:45 AM

1,640 posts, read 4,520,036 times
29.7 is the correct answer.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:56 AM

3,574 posts, read 13,900,061 times
Since you're asking a bunch of people on the internet, it is obvious that you are not intellectually or emotionally mature to even consider having a child. Seriously. Get some excellent birth control and use it and when the day comes that you find someone worthy enough to create a life with (and who values you and wants a commitment), you will know, in your heart of hearts, what is the right thing to do.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:28 PM

241 posts, read 557,667 times
Quote:

My boyfriend really wants a kid, while I am unsure if I still want kids, I have been thinking about it. But I want to do it right. I'm 19 and in college. I want to be a dentist, so I'm looking at 8+ years of schooling. By the time I get out of dental school, get established and pay off my loans I'll be in my mid thirties. Would it be better to have a child while getting my bachelors, so that while I'm in dental school they'd be a toddler and my boyfriend would be supporting us, or should I wait to my mid or possibly late thirties to have my first child?

The second option makes the most sense financially, while the first option makes the most sense biologically.
PLEASE WAIT!!!!

The boyfriend really wants a kid now but wants that child is here, throwing up, crying all night, needing to be changed, he may change his mind and you will be a single mother with no education or career. You are way too young to have a baby, especially with a guy who is a boyfriend rather than a husband. This is the absolute biggest commitment/decision of your life, hands down.

Finish your schooling, establish your career, find a stable, loving guy you can truly count on, get married, establish a home, enjoy yourselves for a few years, become financially stable, and THEN have a baby.

I did it this way and had my first child in my later 30s. It has been fantastic. I had an extremely easy pregnancy and my husband and are enjoying her immensely. There is a real payoff to doing things in the right order.

BTW, I have seen friends have babies anywhere from age 22 to 42. Those who have them 35 or later have overall been the best parents and enjoyed the experience the most, because they were fully grown and ready for this awesome responsibility.

Old 05-09-2013, 04:14 PM

1,047 posts, read 3,701,240 times
Quote:
I'm not with the same guy, someone entirely different and who treats me well.

I wasn't saying I would go and get pregnant now, but another year or 2 from now. This boyfriend is already talking about marriage, he seems like the real thing. A guy who actually doesn't just want to cheat and play the field just because he's young.

He doesn't have a decent job right now, and doesn't want to go to school. I already told him he'll have to find a better job or go to school for a better job if he wants me to have his baby. He says he's working on it, so until he actually does that, no babies will be happening. This is all just talk anyway, nothing concrete.

We see things differently and I'm just trying to meet somewhere in the middle. I'm more career focused, and he just wants a job that makes ends meet and to have a family.

There is a short supply of men who actually don't want kids, and I really, really like this guy. It makes me think maybe I shouldn't be so selfish focusing so much on a career and instead maybe focus more on a family.

Again, just talk. I'm not stupid enough to go get pregnant right this second. I just want to find a happy median in life.
Does anyone else see a problem here?

Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 PM

861 posts, read 1,375,984 times
21-26 are the best age(s) to start a family in my opinion. Younger if you're financially secure though. However, you need to get married first.

Old 05-09-2013, 05:55 PM

2,096 posts, read 4,479,626 times
I'd say 22 to 29 is the best age really. But early 30s is fine and even early 20s if you can afford it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting