Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2013, 08:10 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekochan999 View Post
I am coming up against a similiar problem - my husband and I are moving down to florida, my 18 year old son is staying on long island. I called our insurance company (geico) to ask how this would be handled once we move. We were told that they could issue some sort of separate, but associated policy for him... that way, he can get our cheaper rates but have his own policy.
This might meet OP's requirements.

In general, OP should check the insurer's rules related to insuring someone not resident at their address.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2013, 08:17 AM

14,400 posts, read 14,306,076 times
Quote:
Markg's suggested points should be covered by a generic health insurance plan. The additional coverage would be redundant and those specific types of insurance are extremely expensive for the coverage.
Well, not really. A generic health insurance plan will pay medical bills, subject to a deductible of course.

In my line of work, I see a few badly injured people who need money for inability to work, because they've suffered permanent injuries that can't be repaired, and even for future cosmetic surgery to repair scars and lacerations (which may not be covered by a health plan).

All this may sound unlikely to the OP and perhaps its not worth worrying about. My point is that you "just never know" what will happen and that the cost of this insurance may well be worth it. She can make whatever decision she wants. I just want to her understand these are real issues and not just some kind of "rip off" by the insurance company.

Old 05-24-2013, 09:42 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
OP... ask your son if he wants to remanin insured, and if he does, have him pay for it. It's his problem, not yours.

Old 05-25-2013, 02:14 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
My son is moving out of state in a month. He does not have his own car and is on our car insurance. My thought was to cancel his coverage since he will not be living with us. He will be three hours away and hopefully will come back to visit now and then but should that mean I keep him on our policy or take him off? He does not pay for his portion currently. My feeling is take him off.
Absolutely TAKE HIM OFF!!!, bad enough he's not paying for insurance already..It's almost a guarantee that you'll regret it later , if you try to be the nice guy and don't....He needs to get his own car, and his own insurance...especially since he won't be living at home any more.

Last edited by purehuman; 05-25-2013 at 02:22 PM..

Old 05-25-2013, 04:01 PM

794 posts, read 1,409,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesmom View Post
Not for college. To me...if someone allows him to drive their car it is their responsibility if something should happen and they do not have the proper coverage, not mine. My parent's didn't insure me when I left home. His roommate can add him to her policy if she wants to be safe, right?
Where will his third party liability insurance come from?

Old 05-25-2013, 05:40 PM

136 posts, read 237,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Colonial Girl View Post
Where will his third party liability insurance come from?
Right now that is covered under our insurance. Once he is off he won't be driving or maybe occasionally his friend will let him drive but to me as an adult he is responsible for his actions and that is how the courts see it also. He will have to figure that one out himself but I think he will mainly be taking public transportation including the train. Part of being on is own which he will have to add to the many responsibilities of adulthood as well as health insurance.

Old 05-25-2013, 07:57 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,480,822 times
If you intend to not pay for his insurance anymore, that is fine. Make sure he understands what will happen if he is in or causes an accident or any damage to anyone's vehicle without having insurance.

Old 05-25-2013, 09:38 PM

136 posts, read 237,768 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
If you intend to not pay for his insurance anymore, that is fine. Make sure he understands what will happen if he is in or causes an accident or any damage to anyone's vehicle without having insurance.

Of course.

Old 05-27-2013, 04:15 PM

639 posts, read 1,964,218 times
I'm 23 and still on my parents policy. I get great discounts because of it. Of course, I've paid my own share of the insurance since I was 16. I don't see why you wouldn't allow him to remain on yours, and make him pay for his own share.

Old 05-27-2013, 07:19 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,815,510 times
Would any insurer in Mom's state insure a driver who resides out of state?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting