U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2013, 10:07 AM

912 posts, read 884,111 times

Advertisements

Congrats!

I agree with most of what everyone has said so far. (Moderator Cut 6 day old babies cry because they need something)

Everything with babies is a phase. Even though your baby wakes a lot now, that will change with age.

Swaddling is a wonderful thing. Most newborns love it and it helps them back to sleep. Swings, also good. My children both slept better with swaddling. Don't think too far in the future, because as your baby grows, the sleep patterns WILL change. And a big for being a great daddy and helping out !!

Last edited by Jaded; 05-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.. Reason: Reference to a deleted post
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2013, 10:40 AM

859 posts, read 2,440,004 times
Have you tried swaddling? (Sorry if this was already stated, I did not read all the replies...)
Some mommy friends also swore by this product: Amazon.com: Baby Merlin's Magic Sleepsuit 3-6 months - Blue Small: Baby
Definitely try everything that will encourage your baby to sleep on his own / by himself and not be dependent on you to self soothe! It's hard and takes time, but the benefit is healthy sleep habits for the rest of all your lives!
Good luck, it WILL get easier!

Last edited by HeatherLynn822; 05-29-2013 at 10:59 AM..

Old 05-29-2013, 10:43 AM

1,033 posts, read 1,429,825 times
buy this

http://mobile.walmart.com/m/phoenix;...837557005&wl0=

It's been invaluable to us.

Old 05-29-2013, 10:54 AM

1,171 posts, read 1,981,729 times
We had a swing and an old, old bouncy seat with, believe it or not, just a fleece covering over a hard plastic shell. It was a hand-me-down that worked better than anything new on the market. Maybe the rigidity of it? Dunno.

Anyway, if you can't find something like that anymore (and I have not seen one new ever), the swing works for some babies but not all. (We called it the neglectatron. LOL.)

Co-sleeping was the only thing that worked for me -- we put our babies on a big firm pillow between us. That way there was no danger of us rolling on top of them. And the baby is too young to roll. You're close enough that the baby smells you and even feels you, and the pillow can lull baby into thinking he's actually still on you. Actually, now that I remember, I would keep my babies on the pillow while I nursed them, then I would lower the pillow to the bed after they fell asleep. It usually worked if the transition was smooth.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:12 AM

606 posts, read 809,847 times
One thing I did not see mentioned yet was how to arrange y'all's sleep so that you each get optimal sleep.

It is incredibly useful if you can swing it for you each to have a stretch where you can get a long-ish (at least six hour) stretch of unbroken or minimally broken sleep. We ended up working it out this way:

* One of us went to bed right after dinner, around 7:30 p.m. The other person was the point person for baby care until a particular time. This changed as our daughter settled into a schedule, but I seem to recall that the changeover was around 1:00 or 2:00 a.m. Usually my husband was the early sleeper and he'd just wake up very early to get ready for work.
* Once the kiddo was settled into a schedule the other person generally knew when the later evening feeding would tend to be (maybe sometime around 10:00) and would go to bed afterwards. They'd still handle any wakings that happened before the changeover. Then they'd get to sleep until morning.
* Each of us had one weekend morning to sleep in as late as we wanted. The other partner would handle baby duties until that point.

With flexibility, of course, to handle someone being sick or a particularly busy week at work for my husband.

This period really lasted a short time before we could get back on a semi-normal schedule. It's all a blur, honestly, but it couldn't have been too long before the kiddo wasn't waking up most nights, because she was generally sleeping a 10-12 hour stretch by the time my husband moved ahead of me for a new job, and she was five months old then. Once you're down to only one or two night wakings at semi-predictable times it gets much easier to figure out an arrangement that'll work for everyone.

I also cannot agree strongly enough with the advice to differentiate day and night. Quiet voices at night and as few lights on as you can manage makes a huge difference.

Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,033,032 times
Default Another Suggestion

Here's a book about getting infants to sleep that was recommended to me. Lots of positive reviews and it comes in a Kindle/electronic format.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night: Foreword by William Sears, M.D. (Pantley): Elizabeth Pantley, William Sears: 9780071381390: Amazon.com: Books

Congrats!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:12 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,576,813 times
ouch, that's brutal. I was lucky in that my son was never that bad as a newborn - he'd cry for a while at night, but at least slept through most of the day.
Does he spit up a lot? I ask because DS had reflux, and hated lying down after nursing. It helped to put him a bit upright, like a swing or car seat. You can also try a stroller, rolling it back and forth till he falls asleep. If weather permits, you can even try wrapping him up and sticking the stroller outside during the day - my son slept on the balcony every day since a couple weeks old, the fresh air really helps them sleep. And you didn't mention if he takes a paci - but try it, DS kept losing it at first and waking up, but once he got the hang of it, it was really a lifesaver, I wouldn't have survived without it as he had a very strong sucking reflex and would've otherwise been latched onto me 24/7, lol. And a sling to free up your hands.

If all else fails, look into hiring a part-time nanny or night nurse to help your wife out when you go back to work; she needs her rest to recover and be able to care for the baby, especially if she's nursing as milk supply will often drop if the mother is extremely exhausted. It's really worth the money to not be on the brink of insanity, sleep deprivation can make you do really stupid things. Good luck, and hope you'll get some sleep soon!

Old 05-29-2013, 12:18 PM

240 posts, read 261,587 times
Congratulations!! I'm also a new mom (almost 13 weeks old little girl), with a two year old at home as well. And goodness, those first few weeks are SO hard. No easy away around it. Especially because the little one has such a tiny belly and needs to be fed what seems like all the time.

I'll second the recommendations for the swaddle. We swaddled both kids and will continue to swaddle the little one until she can roll over. Especially overnight. I nursed until this one was about 8 weeks, and then we introduced the bottle and formula. Honestly, that is when my husband said things turned for me (us). Because he was still working, I handled all of the nighttime feedings. And please sleep when the baby sleeps. Housework and the like can wait. Take shifts if you can. And put the baby down in its crib when it falls asleep (and swaddle). At 6 days old, the baby should not be allowed to cry it out, but knowing the difference between CYRINg and just being fussy (especially if the baby does not take a paci) is key. My older one did not take a paci and was just generally loud. It takes some time, but you'll figure out what the noises/cries mean. Our little one does occassionally take a paci, and that helps her. I also slept in the same room as our youngest until she was giving us 5-6 hour stretches at night.

Good luck. It really is a blur, those first few weeks home. And once you think you have them figured out, they go & change on you again. And again.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:19 PM

240 posts, read 261,587 times
Oh! Happiest Baby on the Block helped us. We cheated and got the DVD, rather than the book.

Old 05-29-2013, 12:22 PM

14,330 posts, read 10,635,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keekski View Post
Oh! Happiest Baby on the Block helped us. We cheated and got the DVD, rather than the book.
Oh that is striking some chords. I did think of it for sleep issues specifically. Side hold. Football hold. I don't remember the sleep related stuff. But ... if I had a baby again, I'd read/watch this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting