Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2013, 02:00 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times

Advertisements

Not a big deal, gender doesn't make a difference either. I slept in my mum's bed when dad was away, grew out of it around 12 years old.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2013, 03:08 PM

25,948 posts, read 22,098,104 times
If he doesn't grow out of it or if there develops a rivalry between father and son, I would be concerned. I would never of had my sons sleep at that age sleep in the bed with me. Hopefully she is well covered while sleeping with the child. Sorry but I see an "ick" factor here. I wonder if this is for the boy or for the mother. Breasts are breasts and such despite on whom they appear.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:16 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,246,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
If he doesn't grow out of it or if there develops a rivalry between father and son, I would be concerned. I would never of had my sons sleep at that age sleep in the bed with me. Hopefully she is well covered while sleeping with the child. Sorry but I see an "ick" factor here. I wonder if this is for the boy or for the mother. Breasts are breasts and such despite on whom they appear.
Yes breasts are breasts whoever they appear on but whats your point? Pretty sure my brother still came to sauna with me and my mum when he was 8 or 9 and we were all naked there.

Old 05-30-2013, 03:52 PM

3,110 posts, read 5,384,050 times
Taking the long view...
looking at my Godson, child of two close friends who got a divorce.
Boy slept in his mom's bed after the divorce until he was almost 12.
He is now 32 and majorly screwed up.
He recently got married. Mama controlled the entire ceremony. The boy has not "individuated" - ie created a separate identity from his mom. He is estranged from his father, whom he considers a threat to his relationship with his mom. He married a woman who is the spitting image of his mother. To say Mama and new Wife don't get along is putting it mildly. They are tugging at this poor sap and he's even more messed up than he was. IMHO sleeping with mama started this whole mess. Certainly there are other factors, but that's a strong one. She never got into any relationships at all while he was at home... why should she? She had him to cuddle up to. Bizarre behavior for a grown woman as well...

Children need to learn to sleep alone.
The parents need to NOT encourage children sleeping in the parent's beds after they are toddlers.
Parents need Parent time. That bed is for parents to bond and if a child thinks it's his/her bed as well, things could get awkward when parents need that intimate time.

Children need to find their own strength and individual personalities in order to grow into responsible, contributing adults. There is much science to back this up. Do a search on Co-sleeping, which is one of the "cool ideas that aren't so cool du jour" ... what I find interesting on such a search is that there's all this glory talk about how much bonding goes on... but then you see the question always pop up, "How do you get your kids to their own beds?"

Kids Getting in Bed with Parents? Get Children to Sleep in Their Own Beds
Problems Caused By A Child Sleeping In Parent's Bed | LIVESTRONG.COM
CPS: Kids in adult beds kills more than drowning - Houston Chronicle

IMHO a parent who encourages a child to snuggle overnight after a certain age is doing it for selfish reasons.
It's much harder to create self-discipline, self-reliance, and self-respect than it is to give into the whining and crying. Parents who forget that one of them is supposed to be the grownup do themselves and their children a huge disservice.

Old 05-30-2013, 04:19 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Taking the long view...
He recently got married. Mama controlled the entire ceremony. The boy has not "individuated" - ie created a separate identity from his mom. He is estranged from his father, whom he considers a threat to his relationship with his mom. He married a woman who is the spitting image of his mother. To say Mama and new Wife don't get along is putting it mildly. They are tugging at this poor sap and he's even more messed up than he was. IMHO sleeping with mama started this whole mess. Certainly there are other factors, but that's a strong one. She never got into any relationships at all while he was at home... why should she? She had him to cuddle up to. Bizarre behavior for a grown woman as well...

Children need to learn to sleep alone.
The parents need to NOT encourage children sleeping in the parent's beds after they are toddlers.
Parents need Parent time. That bed is for parents to bond and if a child thinks it's his/her bed as well, things could get awkward when parents need that intimate time.

Children need to find their own strength and individual personalities in order to grow into responsible, contributing adults. There is much science to back this up. Do a search on Co-sleeping, which is one of the "cool ideas that aren't so cool du jour" ... what I find interesting on such a search is that there's all this glory talk about how much bonding goes on... but then you see the question always pop up, "How do you get your kids to their own beds?"

Kids Getting in Bed with Parents? Get Children to Sleep in Their Own Beds
Problems Caused By A Child Sleeping In Parent's Bed | LIVESTRONG.COM
CPS: Kids in adult beds kills more than drowning - Houston Chronicle

IMHO a parent who encourages a child to snuggle overnight after a certain age is doing it for selfish reasons.
It's much harder to create self-discipline, self-reliance, and self-respect than it is to give into the whining and crying. Parents who forget that one of them is supposed to be the grownup do themselves and their children a huge disservice.
I'm not doubting your experience, but I think it's unusual.

Children often need comfort, even at 9, whether it be because of a thunderstorm, or a parent's absence. If it was still going on at the age of 12, there might be cause for concern, but not at the age the OP indicated.

Old 05-30-2013, 05:56 PM

1,646 posts, read 2,779,882 times
Your kids should not sleep in your bed at ANY age. Not newborn, not 2, not 12, not 20!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:09 PM

1,122 posts, read 3,504,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoodSchoolols View Post
Your kids should not sleep in your bed at ANY age. Not newborn, not 2, not 12, not 20!
Why not? Some kids have fears and anxieties and feel comforted by sleeping in their parents' bed. What's wrong with that?

Old 05-30-2013, 06:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,754,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by R_Cowgirl View Post
Taking the long view...
Clearly there was more going on than an 11 year old sleeping in Mom's bed... I do not believe that a child would become "majorly screwed up" from the simple act of falling asleep next to their mother until they were almost 12.

As for the other poster that questioned how "covered up" Mom is because breasts are breasts... I would suspect that the Mom's who are comfortable with their children climbing in bed with them wear pajamas. I guess I would wonder about a parent sleeping nude with one of their older children in the bed.

Old 05-30-2013, 06:14 PM

24,099 posts, read 32,448,969 times
I don't need to know the specifics. A boy, over three should not sleep with his mother.

There is NO EXCUSE!

Old 05-30-2013, 06:15 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,944,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I don't need to know the specifics. A boy, over three should not sleep with his mother.

There is NO EXCUSE!
Why? Are boys not entitled to feel fear? Are boys not in need of comfort?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting