U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2013, 09:01 AM

22,940 posts, read 16,743,876 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
I don't. But then I have negative feelings about teens driving overall which I realize puts me in the minority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2013, 09:07 AM

1,430 posts, read 2,165,631 times
On the flip side, I am 27, and have not had a car payment yet in my life as I am still driving the car I had when I got my license.

You know much that has helped me financially? When applying for a mortgage, the lender was taken aback by they fact I had no debt to my name. By city-data standard I would be a spoiled, rotten, good for nothing because my parents picked up the bill for my college education and bought me a car.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:13 AM

35,885 posts, read 68,167,556 times
Not obligated. BUt it is a good thing to do for a young person, if they are working or especially if they are commuting to school.

I would say the way to handle it (and what we did in our family) was that the parents buy a safe, used car for their kids -- but keep the title in the parents' names. What we did was space things out so we had one of our own vehicles that we could give to each of the children as they got towards college age. But the cars were never titled in their names and they all knew full well that they were our cars - they were just "using" them.

If a parent can afford to then give the college grad that car and let them trade it in on something else, that is great, too. If not, when they get their first job, they can work it out as to transportation, whether with continuing to borrow a car, pay their own insurance, whatever.

But obligated? NO. Not every family can work things out for a teen to have a car and unless there are reasons for them to have it, no one should feel bad about it if they don't have a "designated" car for their teen(s). Borrow the family car!

Old 06-04-2013, 09:28 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,840,020 times
Obligated? As many others have said, No, not at all.
I viewed a car as I viewed many other of life's extras that I give my kids.
Also, I did not ever want my kid to be a passenger in a vehicle with a young/teen driver. I knew DS had a good head on his shoulders, was very responsible, took several defensive driving courses etc and I was confident in his abilities.

He is now almost 24, has been accident and ticket free since he started driving at 16. His aging father now costs us more to insure than the young male lol.

We provided a car, maintenance, gas etc. DS had to pay his insurance. We felt that because he was paying it, he would be careful and cautious so that it would not increase due to his actions ie tickets/accidents.

DD starts driving in a year, we have the same attitude.

Also, we always made it clear. The car is ours, the keys are ours and we control them. He had a GPA to maintain in order to keep possession of the keys. Those keys were his currency, it worked well for us.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:51 AM

6,155 posts, read 7,029,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
HAHAHA.........I think not. I had to purchase my own vehicles from the first one to the most recent one and I had to pay for insurance, gasoline, repairs and maintenance as well. Driving is a priviledge not a right and just because I am your parent does not mean I am obligated to purchase anything for you outside of what is a necessity to keep you warm, dry, as safe as possible, fed and clothed.

We did not have any luxuries when I was a child and the rare times my Mother could afford a small extra we were absolutely thrilled to share a cold bottle of pop from the market. We were loved, clothed, fed as well as possible and sheltered and that was enough.

This ^^^.

I bought my first one at age 16....$100....dragged it home and got it fixed up enough to provide transporation.

Splurged on the second one...$500. It was a beautiful thing.

Insurance, gas, repairs......my responsibility. Worked out pretty well.

Mom and Dad buying junior a car? I don't think so. It is surprising how much money a kid can save from baby sitting, busing trays, cleaning hotel rooms, shoveling snow, pulling weeds, washing dishes and mowing lawns. Do it for a couple of years with a goal in mind of buying a car and it happens pretty quickly.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:12 AM

1,516 posts, read 1,893,762 times
No obligation at all. My parents did buy me a car when I was a senior in college but it came as a total surprise. It was a remarkable gift and I used it well. I was prepared to buy my own vehicle though. At the end of our junior year, we were allowed to purchase a car and have one our senior year. I remember the big car show where all the cadets bought their very first car on their own dime. It was a rite of passage. When my parents gave me the keys to my first car, I was quite surprised since it was so unexpected. My husband on the other hand bought his own car.

My kids... it depends. I suppose that I will help out on their very first purchase of a car but they should not have the expectation of getting a car at the ripe old age of 16. My daughter in particular is emotionally very immature and I can't even envision her driving in 3 years, lol. The school bus is good enough for getting to school and I'm sure that I will be doing the mom shuttle service for a very long time.

As they get older, we will have to cross that bridge when we come to it. My daughter in particular feels very self entitled and has her eye on a brand new BMW or Mercedes which she ain't ever getting from us. If she is lucky, she will inherit my Toyota with remarkably low mileage (my car is 9 years old and has 36k on it) and that is only when she has exhibited maturity and responsibility to be behind the wheel of a car. I would be more receptive to helping them out at the end of college with a new or slightly used car.

Old 06-04-2013, 10:31 AM

1,461 posts, read 2,500,145 times
Obligated? No. Actually, I can't think of any families that bought their kids a car because they felt obligated to do so. For many, like me, having a car (for the kids to use) was a matter of convenience. It gets really old getting up at 4:30 AM to get your kid to swim practice several days a week, then pick him up two hours later and drive him to school, and then pick him up after school for more swim practice, and go back again a couple of hours later when it's over. And drive to/pick up his sister from dance class three days a week.

I bought myself an extra car and my dad passed down to us his car (when he became too old to drive), which my kids drive. My kids do not own the cars.

Last edited by twins4lynn; 06-04-2013 at 10:47 AM..

Old 06-04-2013, 10:34 AM

19,185 posts, read 15,531,147 times
No. Maybe loan them some money for the car that they can pay back from the job they are going to get to with that car. Overindulgence is now being seen as being as damaging as neglect but often, they do mirror one another.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:29 AM

44,124 posts, read 54,206,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHADOW666 View Post
Do most parents on here think they should purchase their teenagers first vehicle?
Well, it kind of depends on your expectations of the kid.
If there are a lot of activities and/or job, etc, then it's kind of ridiculous not to obtain some sort of transportation help for them.
Outside of that, I would say a parent has a much bigger obligation to their kids' education vs material things like a car.

Old 06-04-2013, 11:32 AM

44,124 posts, read 54,206,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morris Wanchuk View Post
On the flip side, I am 27, and have not had a car payment yet in my life as I am still driving the car I had when I got my license.

You know much that has helped me financially? When applying for a mortgage, the lender was taken aback by they fact I had no debt to my name. By city-data standard I would be a spoiled, rotten, good for nothing because my parents picked up the bill for my college education and bought me a car.
LOL.
Yes, not only did my parents buy me a car for my 16th birthday, it was a fancy dancy convertible.
Then they paid for every cent of college that wasn't covered by my merit scholarships.
And yet I appreciate it every day, took damn good care of that car, worked an afterschool job anyway, got excellent grades, have perfect credit, and know the value of a dollar.
But you know, that's impossible according to folks here who say if you buy a car for your kid or pay for their school, they will never appreciate it or waste the opportunity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or