U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2013, 10:53 AM

1,988 posts, read 4,724,800 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I am a pretty ordinary mom. Not much super about me. Except my kids. Who are all mine and love me very much.
I think that may be part of the OP's point. We are all super moms (and dads).

OP, I am a super mom because my kids are still alive and reasonably healthy in spite of my occasional parenting mistakes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2013, 10:58 AM

12,463 posts, read 18,515,664 times
I think the OP is too complicated for people...lol..or they have never before been called supermom or superdad by anybody.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:01 AM

14,330 posts, read 10,628,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glass_of_merlot View Post
I think the OP is too complicated for people...lol..or they have never before been called supermom or superdad by anybody.
Well, I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but Moderator Cut we AREN'T super to anyone but our own.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-05-2013 at 02:02 PM.. Reason: Rude personal attack

Old 06-05-2013, 11:03 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,835,981 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I'm not trying to downer the thread.
I smiled when I saw it.

And then I sat here like a shlump trying to think of one thing I do that's super.

My wife on the other hand...SHE is a true super mom.
Everyone who knows us is absolutely blown away at how she takes care of this kid. My mother is always saying, "You're such a good mother!"

The kid always has fresh, healthy organic food for every meal (plenty of fresh fruits and veggies - nothing processed or out of a box). This is particularly amazing when you realize my wife never really was much of a cook and hates food preparation (I am the cook in the family).
She held him and slept with him on top of her for the first 4 months of his life.
When people were like, "Oh, give up," she kept trying anything and everything to breast feed him...it all finally worked and he had breast milk for 9 months.
She wakes up every morning with him - she hasn't slept in for 18 months - every day he's been alive. She won't relinquish the monitor or lose her special morning time with him.

And now, after getting her MBA, climbing to near the top of the food chain in her company (six figures, management, etc), she is giving it all up to stay at home and raise him. That's effin' super in my book.

I hope I can honor them both by providing well for our family.
Your wife is a lucky woman, you sound like a fantastic husband and father.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:05 AM

44,157 posts, read 54,281,465 times
Quote:
Well, I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but we AREN'T super to anyone but our own.
Yeah, but now that this thread made me think about it and I decided I am kind of not SUPER, I am going to make moves to rectify this. Not to please anyone else but keep to my own high standards.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-05-2013 at 02:03 PM.. Reason: Edit quoted post

Old 06-05-2013, 11:06 AM

1,961 posts, read 3,835,981 times
Moderator Cut

Ok, seriously, I never intended for this to be "self congratulating bull". Whats so wrong with a little positivitiy (I realize that may not even be a word) and posting things that make us feel like a super mom.

I could easily write a page about all the mistakes I make on a daily basis as a mom, but there is enough negativity and rude behavior toward other posters here and other moms, so what would the point of that be.

Last edited by Jaded; 06-05-2013 at 02:04 PM.. Reason: Removed edited post that was quoted

Old 06-05-2013, 11:10 AM

32,525 posts, read 31,461,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by easternerDC View Post

I am also a super mom because I don't care that there is a basket of laundry that needs to be folded and another load that still needs to be washed.

Right.on. Being OK with the knowledge that everything doesn't have to be perfect adds 10 years to your life and makes you a better parent. Well known fact. Which I just decided.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Well, I don't want to be Debbie Downer, but we AREN'T super to anyone but our own.
Well fine, so you are not a super mom. Im sure your kids love you anyways...haha

It's ok!

Last edited by Jaded; 06-05-2013 at 02:05 PM.. Reason: Edited quoted post

Old 06-05-2013, 11:18 AM

27,354 posts, read 64,881,771 times
OK Now I can answer. People tell me I am a great dad because our kids are turning out very well. Very polite, hard working, good or great academics, well grounded, mostly in a good relationship with God. However I do not know why they are or what I did. It was probably all my wife's fault. I did everything I could to screw them up. Probably the best positive thing I did was to try to be around as much as possible and pay attention to them and take them lots of places without being overly protective or "helicoptering". If I were going to try to sum up my contributions, I would just copy a post from my daughter's Facebook:

Top Ten Things I've Learned from my Dad. Whether I Wanted to Learn Them or Not:
1. Boys may be dumb, but they are people too.
2. You can make an adventure out of any bad situation.
3. Talk to everyone as a human being, from homeless bongo players on the subway to Southern Dominoes waitresses, and try to make them smile.
4. When you are afraid to do something, sometimes that is the... best time to do it.
5. You are great...but you can be greater.
6. If you work hard, be caring, and have fun you can go from being a law breaking acedemically questionable farm boy to a happily married successful lawyer with wonderful kids (Especially that second kid).
7. God did not create life for us to be miserable and bored. If you are those things, you might be doing something wrong. Try smiling, jumping, singing, working, shopping, travelling, etc.
8. Be frugal with money...most of the time.
9. Tell stories. If you don't have any, go out and find some.
10. There is no "can't."
Happy Birthday Dad, and thanks for being so sage. Sometimes.

Somehow I taught them something. Not sure how, but it seems to have worked. Thus I must be a super Dad.

Old 06-05-2013, 11:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
OK Now I can answer. People tell me I am a great dad because our kids are turning out very well. Very polite, hard working, good or great academics, well grounded, mostly in a good relationship with God. However I do not know why they are or what I did. It was probably all my wife's fault. I did everything I could to screw them up. Probably the best positive thing I did was to try to be around as much as possible and pay attention to them and take them lots of places. If I were going to try to sum up my contributions, I would just copy a post from my daughter's Facebook:

Top Ten Things I've Learned from my Dad. Whether I Wanted to Learn Them or Not:
1. Boys may be dumb, but they are people too.
2. You can make an adventure out of any bad situation.
3. Talk to everyone as a human being, from homeless bongo players on the subway to Southern Dominoes waitresses, and try to make them smile.
4. When you are afraid to do something, sometimes that is the... best time to do it.
5. You are great...but you can be greater.
6. If you work hard, be caring, and have fun you can go from being a law breaking acedemically questionable farm boy to a happily married successful lawyer with wonderful kids (Especially that second kid).
7. God did not create life for us to be miserable and bored. If you are those things, you might be doing something wrong. Try smiling, jumping, singing, working, shopping, travelling, etc.
8. Be frugal with money...most of the time.
9. Tell stories. If you don't have any, go out and find some.
10. There is no "can't."
Happy Birthday Dad, and thanks for being so sage. Sometimes.

Somehow I taught them something. Not sure how, but it seems to have worked. Thus I must be a super Dad.
You sure are!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting