U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2013, 08:06 PM

4,290 posts, read 4,294,933 times

Advertisements

Need some input please.
At what age it is appropriate for kids to have cell phones?
I am talking just a regular old fashion phone for calling, not texting, iPhone, web, camera.
what conditions did you put on having one?
What simple phone did you get?
have you regretted giving them a phone? Did they have to earn the phone?

Thx.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2013, 08:09 PM

35,103 posts, read 46,808,274 times
My children got their own cell phones when they were old enough to have them in their names and had a job so they could pay for what they wanted. Until then there was no need for them to have a cell phone.

My nieces have had a smartphone since they were about 10, one is now 18 and the other is 20. I never agreed with it but they are not my children so it was not my place to say anything about it.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:10 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,071,862 times
Kids don't call, they text. Whenever you get your child a cell phone, get unlimited texting, you will be so thankful you did--and you will like it too.

Age, it depends. There is no right or wrong answer. If you think your child is responsible enough to take care of a cell phone, why not. We gave our kids cell phones because we wanted to, and no other reason than that. Our oldest was in 7th grade, he hardly used it. Our other two were in 5th grade, they used it all the time. Our kids are now college aged and none of them have ever lost a phone because they knew we would not replace it if they did. They were responsible to pay any charges over our monthly plan, we've never gone over (but have unlimited texting). I love cell phones .

Old 06-06-2013, 08:17 PM

1,988 posts, read 5,064,398 times
My 7 year old has friends in school with phones. Of course she's been asking me for one, but I tell her not until either A. she is old enough for me to drop her off and leave her like at a mall or something (and that's a very long way off) or B. if her school requires it. Some of the schools around here are "bring your own technology", and the teachers have the kids use certain apps.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:22 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,861,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilah G. View Post
Need some input please.
At what age it is appropriate for kids to have cell phones?
I am talking just a regular old fashion phone for calling, not texting, iPhone, web, camera.
what conditions did you put on having one?
What simple phone did you get?
have you regretted giving them a phone? Did they have to earn the phone?

Thx.
My son got a regular non fancy cell phone when he was around 11. The reason being is that he rode his bike to school. I wanted to make sure he had a cell phone in case something happened. He never abused it. As the years have gone by (he is now 14), having a cell phone has proved to be a good thing. He would call if he forgot something at home, felt sick, wanted to remind me of something, etc. Plus I like the fact that I am able to reach him any time I need. I never regretted giving him a phone.

My 8 year old daughter has been asking for a phone. I feel she is too young, and has no need for a phone at this point in time.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:23 PM

20,418 posts, read 42,716,877 times
When they drive.
Prior to that, why do they need one? They will be with responsible adults, who DO have a phone that can be borrowed if necessary.

Old 06-06-2013, 08:29 PM

20,793 posts, read 58,071,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
When they drive.
Prior to that, why do they need one? They will be with responsible adults, who DO have a phone that can be borrowed if necessary.
Not always. Our kids would ride bikes to the park, the pool, friend's house, school, walk over to friend's houses, etc., etc. all without adults.

Now, the best thing about cell phones and driving "pick up some milk on your way home"

Old 06-06-2013, 08:48 PM

24,851 posts, read 33,616,483 times
When they are old enough to go places without you. My kids will walk home from school to an empty house starting in 7th grade. That's probably when I'll get them a phone.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:01 PM

19,443 posts, read 22,040,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
When they are old enough to go places without you. My kids will walk home from school to an empty house starting in 7th grade. That's probably when I'll get them a phone.
Cell phones were too expensive when my children were in high school (but we did have a separate land phone line for a couple of years). In general, I agree that a simple phone for children who are old enough to go the mall, or park or other places without parents is fine. And, when a teen is old enough to drive it is an important safety measure to have a cell phone for emergencies (just not to use while driving).

I am always amazed when I learn of young elementary students with their own cell phones. Who would a six or eight year old be calling from school? They aren't going to walking home by themselves or going to the mall, roller skating or Great America without an adult. And at home they can use the land line or their parents cell phone.

Old 06-06-2013, 09:12 PM

49,943 posts, read 53,224,798 times
Mine were in 6th grade, but they were literally the last ones in their class to have phones.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting