Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 11:48 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
There is a fun twin convention in twinsburg Ohio each year. Something like 2800 sets of twins of all ages attend. it is really worthwhile. Our girls really have a blast at it. twins of ll ages love it. You should go this year if you can, you will win the trophy for "youngest twins" It is the first weekend in August.
My mother used to ask us growing up if we wanted to go to this (we're from NY). We always refused and never went.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The twins were big (7 and 7.12). It was so cool having twins. Everyone assumed a young couple with twins first up needed lots of help.
We were similar - 7 and 7.8. My mother was on bed rest for much of the second half of the pregnancy and was very ill. We were kids 3 and 4 though so they weren't first timers.

We were also named alphabetically. As I pointed out before, we thankfully have different names that start with different letters and have a different number of syllables. They had chosen the two names, and whoever came out first would be named the first one alphbetically. I was born 3 minutes after my sister so I was given the second name - ironically, it is actually the same name of my mother.

Great post and you sound very blessed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2013, 12:48 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
a good friend of our twins solve the birthday thing. they picked a random date in June and decided it was the second twins birthday for the last 7 years all of their friends have gathered to celebrate her birthday on that day even though her birthday is in October they just felt they should have separate birthdays

Old 07-20-2013, 05:31 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
Yes, please always remember the individuality. That was one of the most frustrating parts of growing up an identical twin. Some people refuse to believe you should have different favorite colors, interests, or even friends. I remember not being invited to a good friend's party in early elementary school because they thought my sister would have to be invited too since they could only have a limited number of kids. I also remember being given a birthday present of one wall poster for both of us when we finally had separate rooms.... Being skipped for questions/opinions because "obviously yours is the same". We despised being called "the twins". We despised constantly being asked if we could read each other's minds or if we acted as each other's mirrors when trying on clothes... My parents were amazing growing up and really honored our individuality, but not every one else does this.

The constant comparison led us to not even apply a single common college, and we went to universities a 1000 apart from each other. We still talked 24/7 then and still do today, but at least we could explore our separate interests. I speak to my sister almost on the hour though we are both married living separate lives. She is a scientist living in a more suburban area while I work in finance and live in NYC.

We had a couple pairs of other twins that we were friends with growing up, one pair identical and one pair fraternal. I always felt bad for the identical pair that was forced to dress exactly the same and had matching, rhyming names.

And when I'm asked, what's it like to have a twin, my response is pretty simple. I can't say I know what it's like to not have a twin, but I can't imagine not having been born with my best friend and shared soul.
That one cracked me up. Someone actually said that? Would never have thought of it.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:41 AM

2,848 posts, read 7,576,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That one cracked me up. Someone actually said that? Would never have thought of it.

Unfortunately, yes. And that was just a small sample of the types of questions we've received....

Old 07-30-2013, 11:20 AM

322 posts, read 584,362 times
Guys, I am not having twins anymore. My fiance and I were recently notified that she had vanishing twin syndrome.
So which one do you like better?

Celeste Paulina Rolle
Celina Perla Rolle

Old 07-30-2013, 01:09 PM

24,561 posts, read 40,263,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Guys, I am not having twins anymore. My fiance and I were recently notified that she had vanishing twin syndrome.
So which one do you like better?

Celeste Paulina Rolle
Celina Perla Rolle
Are you 100% firm on having your daughter's initials be CPR?

Of the two, I like Celeste Paulina better but I don't really like either.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:37 PM

I like Celena better. Celetse rymes with Molest, and that will lead to no fun in jr. High.

I like Perla because it is more unusual (at least to me) and prettier sounding than Paulina. I never much liked girl names made out of boy names (Herolda, Paulina, Roberta, Theodora, etc). It always seemed to say " I really wanted a boy, but got this instead"

We gave you so many fun options, what happened to California Rolle, or Dinner Rolle?

Old 07-30-2013, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc33433 View Post
My mother used to ask us growing up if we wanted to go to this (we're from NY). We always refused and never went.

Go if you get a chance. They were nto too excited about it, but really loved it. They felt they fit right in and everyone understood what the experience was like. They were not the weird spectacle there. They got to experience what it was like to be "normal." There were twins of all ages from months old to 80s or 90s. It does not sound that exciting, but they are really looking forward to going back. It is this weekend. They can hardly wait.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 2,498,746 times
I like all of the name combos except "Paulina." So I like Celeste Perla and Celina Perla.

Old 07-31-2013, 08:58 AM

2,763 posts, read 5,754,649 times
Sorry for your loss.

Why are you leaving the name of your child up to strangers? I guess this concept is just lost on me. Deciding the child's name should be between you and your spouse, not anonymous people on the internet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting