Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 06:25 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I bet you like tract homes too!

Just messing - you are free to like tract homes, someone needs to. Keeps me busy.

No need to insult someone to make you feel better about your decision to saddle your kids with unusual names. You are free to do so, just don't expect others to think that you are witty or unique. Most just think you are silly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 12:26 AM

190 posts, read 391,637 times
Quote:
Or

Wesmartlyen

Wesdromar

Carleealiana

Lots of people just mush a bunch of names together now days when they have trouble making decisions between their top choices.

Didn't ask anyone to like my choices (or criticize them, for that matter), I just put them out there like the rest of the forum. But, hey, thanks for adding another negative reply to go with the many you've added already. Wouldn't want you to break a pattern now.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:29 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,244,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRolle View Post
Well anyways, I proposed to my girlfriend yesterday, and she said yes. So that's that. I am going to be a father and a husband!
Congrats!!!

Old 06-17-2013, 08:16 AM

187 posts, read 442,739 times
Congrats to you!

Here are my thoughts on your name choices.

Aliana: Eh, it's so overdone. I hear Eliana, Arianna, Aliana, everywhere! Not my top pick.
Cara: Yes. It's not too common these days, it's simple and cute!
Wesley: Strong, distinguished kind of name.
Marston: It's okay
Ricardo: Not bad. I know a boy with that name, everyone calls him Ricky.
Milagros: Mila sounds more feminine
Pedro: Napoleon Dynamite comes to mind right away. Not a bad name though.

Good luck to you and your fiance!

Old 06-19-2013, 08:39 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theS5 View Post
No need to insult someone to make you feel better about your decision to saddle your kids with unusual names. You are free to do so, just don't expect others to think that you are witty or unique. Most just think you are silly.
I am silly, so they think correctly. However I am not sure why you think you know what "most think" That is a little arrogant. I am sometimes witty too, usually not on purpose.

That is what my kids seem to like best about me. I intend to stay silly. I do not take much very seriously (except work where I must take things seriously, you cannot joke around about someone who got ripped off for $53 million, or at least think they did). Too me life is no fun if you do not have fun with it. I have yet to find any situation that cannot be made to be fun by being silly (well maybe excluding funerals, those are rarely fun, but i am going to make certain mine is - maybe I will have a mime or a clown).

People with no sense of humor generally dislike or hate me. That is ok with me.

My kids love their names. Even the ones with common names. I am not sure it really matters a whole lot. I have never heard a kid say they hate their name (except my dad. He hates Harold and goes by his middle name).

Some people cannot separate comments about ideas from comments about them personally. Thus if I think a name, or a preference is silly or even stupid, they think I am saying they are stupid. However if they cannot figure out the difference, I am afraid I cannot help them.

People need to loosen up and learn to discuss opinions without taking personal offense. So I think a name is awful. That does not mean it is awful, it means one person thinks it is awful. If you are going to go around hating everyone who has an opinion that differs from your, you will expend a lot of energy in anger and hate. I never bother with anger or hate if I can, it is simply not worth it and it does nothing to make your, or anyone else life any better.

I really do nto see it as insulting to say I am glad some people like tract homes. I am also glad some people like mediochre sedans and trendy common pets, and all the other bandwagon things. Someone has to buy them. It is good for our economy. If everyone liked the things I like, they would be too expensive.

Anyway forgetting the silly dickering over nothing, OP did you choose a name? Did you find out if it is boy or girl?

BTW - there is no right or wrong name. If you like it, it is right for you. It really is not likely to make much difference to your kid as long as it is not something that makes a swear word or something. There is a girl at my kids school named Jazzy Teen. You would think that would result in ridicule, but she is immensely popular and everyone seems to think her name is cool. Not sure how well it will work when she is 40 though. She can probably use her middle name.

With our first we were not going to find out the sex. Wanted to be a surprise. Then my wife said she wanted to find out and just not tell me so I could be surprised. Then I cam home and found the baby room decked out in pink.

Old 06-19-2013, 10:15 AM

12,169 posts, read 17,642,092 times
Quote:
Well anyways, I proposed to my girlfriend yesterday, and she said yes. So that's that. I am going to be a father and a husband!
Oh congratulations! Remember the old song kids used to sing, "First comes love, then comes marriage, then comes the baby in the baby carriage!'" I wonder if kids still sing that today? "John and Mary sitting in a tree, K.i.s.s.i.n.g. First comes love..."

I like Wesley for a boy, and Aliana for a girl. Keep us posted.

Last edited by ElizaTeal; 06-19-2013 at 10:29 AM..

Old 06-19-2013, 10:17 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,814,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natsku View Post
I like Ricardo and Aliana.
Call the girl Faith....it will always remind you to never lose hope.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:13 PM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
Quote:
I am silly, so they think correctly. However I am not sure why you think you know what "most think" That is a little arrogant. I am sometimes witty too, usually not on purpose.

That is what my kids seem to like best about me. I intend to stay silly. I do not take much very seriously (except work where I must take things seriously, you cannot joke around about someone who got ripped off for $53 million, or at least think they did). Too me life is no fun if you do not have fun with it. I have yet to find any situation that cannot be made to be fun by being silly (well maybe excluding funerals, those are rarely fun, but i am going to make certain mine is - maybe I will have a mime or a clown).

People with no sense of humor generally dislike or hate me. That is ok with me.

My kids love their names. Even the ones with common names. I am not sure it really matters a whole lot. I have never heard a kid say they hate their name (except my dad. He hates Harold and goes by his middle name).

Some people cannot separate comments about ideas from comments about them personally. Thus if I think a name, or a preference is silly or even stupid, they think I am saying they are stupid. However if they cannot figure out the difference, I am afraid I cannot help them.

People need to loosen up and learn to discuss opinions without taking personal offense. So I think a name is awful. That does not mean it is awful, it means one person thinks it is awful. If you are going to go around hating everyone who has an opinion that differs from your, you will expend a lot of energy in anger and hate. I never bother with anger or hate if I can, it is simply not worth it and it does nothing to make your, or anyone else life any better.

I really do nto see it as insulting to say I am glad some people like tract homes. I am also glad some people like mediochre sedans and trendy common pets, and all the other bandwagon things. Someone has to buy them. It is good for our economy. If everyone liked the things I like, they would be too expensive.

Anyway forgetting the silly dickering over nothing, OP did you choose a name? Did you find out if it is boy or girl?

BTW - there is no right or wrong name. If you like it, it is right for you. It really is not likely to make much difference to your kid as long as it is not something that makes a swear word or something. There is a girl at my kids school named Jazzy Teen. You would think that would result in ridicule, but she is immensely popular and everyone seems to think her name is cool. Not sure how well it will work when she is 40 though. She can probably use her middle name.

With our first we were not going to find out the sex. Wanted to be a surprise. Then my wife said she wanted to find out and just not tell me so I could be surprised. Then I cam home and found the baby room decked out in pink.
Holy deflection Batman!!
Pal, whatever gets you through the day.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:58 PM

24,097 posts, read 32,443,737 times
Quote:
So my girlfriend is pregnant with my first child. I wanted to know, how do you guys feel about these names? My girlfriend came up with a deal: We have 4 names per gender, and I come up with 2 for each and she does the same. Some of these names are in Spanish because my girlfriend is half Dominican and Puerto Rican.

Boy:

Wesley Jr.
Marston (My father's name.)
Pedro (Girlfriend's father's name.)
Ricardo

Girl:

Cara (My sister's name, she raised me mostly since my mom died when I was 12.)
Traceley (My deceased mother's name, pronounced Tracy-LEE)
Aliana (Girlfriend's mother's name.)
Milagros

I will update you guys in about a month when I find out the gender.
OK. weighing in late here. I'm not Hispanic or Filipina, but some names "straddle cultures better than others do.

"Milagros" does not do a good job of crossing cultures. I know that it means "miracles", but to American ears, the part of the name that will stand out - especially to school children will be "gross". Not a good thing.

In fact, I know a Filipina who's real first name is Milagros, but goes by her middle name - Rose.

Not a fan of Traceley, Ricardo, or Pedro either.

Tracey Leigh would be easier to pronounce and would still honor your mother. If it's pronounces that way, why not spell it that way? Easier for everyone.

Also Tacey Leah, might be a good option.

I like Wesley, Cara and Aliana the best.

"Cara" also means "pure" in Danish.

I've never heard of Marsten. Again, it could be a cultural thing.

Sometimes using an unusual or very foreign name as a middle name can also honor a relative and make the child's life easier. Certain cultures just take the first initial of the name.

I like Wesley and Wes, but I am not a huge fan of juniors. In my family we use the father's name as a middle name, so that there is a connnection, but with less confusion.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:18 PM

13,721 posts, read 19,249,721 times
Quote:
How do these names sound?

Wesley Marston Rolle, Jr.
Traceley Aliana Rolle
I know you were trying to get your mother's name in there, but I like Cara Aliana better.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting