Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 11:45 AM

3 posts, read 5,775 times

Advertisements

In high school my daughter was a straight A student and always an accomplished artist for her age. She has been hired to paint murals for buildings throughout the city. But she has never had any friends or a job. She has always been incredibly reserved. Halfway through her senor year her grades dropped to failing in all classes and she did not graduate because of the english requirement. Now she is nearly nineteen, it is two years later and nothing has changed. She hasn't made any attempt to retake her english course and get her diploma or look for a job. She won't talk to anyone either. Generally she spends her days sleeping in her room, and at night I don't know. I went in her room a couple of days ago and found empty bottles of cough syrup that I suspect she is drinking to get high. My other teenage daughter told me months ago about cuts on her wrists.

I don't know how to tackle this situation properly. I'm a single father and the mother is... lets just say incapacitated. I've been sending her to talk to a counselor weekly, but over the two years it hasn't brought about any improvement. We've tried Prozac and it was also ineffective. Her biggest issues seem to be with laziness, anxiety, and avoidance.

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM

2,349 posts, read 5,412,092 times
Sounds like a very serious situation which requires professional help. Does your employer offer insurance such that she as a dependent of yours can see a psychiatrist? Could be depression, drug addiction, etc.

Genetic disposition from her mother?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:54 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Get new therapist. She needs professional help. Perhaps even see about in-patient addiction treatment.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:10 PM

3 posts, read 5,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plmokn View Post
Sounds like a very serious situation which requires professional help. Does your employer offer insurance such that she as a dependent of yours can see a psychiatrist? Could be depression, drug addiction, etc.

Genetic disposition from her mother?
Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover that. She has seen a psychiatrist a couple of times for her Prozac prescriptions. He has assured me, although I don't know how he can come to any conclusions out of a couple of meetings, that her problem looks different from her mothers. I am still nervous about the possibility though, because my wife is Schizophrenic. Another genetic possibility is ADD, my wife also had that. But because my daughter's previous marks show no evidence for this, and because people often abuse ADD medications they won't put her on it.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:16 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,030,504 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lfp2000 View Post
Unfortunately my insurance doesn't cover that. She has seen a psychiatrist a couple of times for her Prozac prescriptions. He has assured me, although I don't know how he can come to any conclusions out of a couple of meetings, that her problem looks different from her mothers. I am still nervous about the possibility though, because my wife is Schizophrenic. Another genetic possibility is ADD, my wife also had that. But because my daughter's previous marks show no evidence for this, and because people often abuse ADD medications they won't put her on it.
Well, however you can get it, she needs professional help. See if you qualify for some kind of subsidized care.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:18 PM

861 posts, read 2,709,219 times
I am sorry you are dealing with this....
What state do you live in? There a lot of local, often free of charge, services you might be able to take advantage of, like mobile mental health crisis units.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:21 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,737,145 times
My first thought is "depression", but after reading your whole OP I believe it's more than that. She was amazing in HS and now is lost and alone in an adult world.

Get her some help!! I would scream that at you if I could.

Write all this down and make an appointment with a new doctor:

No friends.
No ambition or motivation.
Stays in her room all day.
Cutting herself.
Abusing drugs (cough syrup often has alcohol in it).
Antisocial.

Can there be any more red flags thrown down here?? Don't assume simple anxiety and laziness. You'll still be hiding your head in that hole when she does something horrible to herself.

Your daughter needs heavy weight counseling and evaluation. Being predisposed to mental issues through her mother is also a giant red flag. You need to stand up for your daughter right now. INSIST on the Dr. having her evaluated.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,442,029 times
Cuts on her wrists make this very serious she needs a good psychiatrist and could she qualify for medicaid?

Old 07-05-2013, 12:30 PM

4,787 posts, read 11,697,520 times
Click on this link to affordable mental health care.. Then search carefully within the link for help.

How do I find treatment?: Mental Health America

Your daughter is abusing cough meds, cutting herself and has a family history of schizophrenia ? She needs serious long term treatment now and for the future. She is only going to get worse.

You also need to check to see if she might eligible for Social Security Disability payments. If it can be proven that she is mentally unable to work, has a mental disability she could qualify. The payments could help pay for her mental health treatment.

You and you family might also be eligible for Medicaid payments depending on family income.

Contact your state department of children and families to get help figuring this all out. Google the department.

Old 07-05-2013, 12:37 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,442,029 times
Lazy doesn't mean abusing cough syrup and cutting wrists, lazy is pretty normal and easy to deal with, this sounds far more serious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting