Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-12-2013, 07:25 PM

1,263 posts, read 3,279,986 times

Advertisements

I'm having a "Thomas the Train" birthday party for my 3 yr old son on Saturday June 22nd. This is my first real kids party as a mother, and I'm a little insecure about not being a "Fun Mom". I'm an economics major who reads non-fiction and listens to light FM, if you catch my drift...I'm loving but boring!!

What are some good songs to play? I need about 2 hours of music. Should I try official kids songs, instrumental songs, regular pop songs?

I don't want to spend 2 hours doing "Itsy Bitsy spider" and "Old MacDonald" non-stop, but I also want it to be fun. I'm going to have a couple songs from the Thomas and Friends show, along with "Wheels on the Bus" for a bus-obsessed 2 yr old brother.

Activities will include a beanbag toss game, blowing bubbles, coloring Thomas pictures with crayons and playing with toy trains on a railway playmat.

There will be a handful of kids in the 2.5 to 4 age range. There will also be a few older siblings of friends, mostly in the 4 to 7 yr old range. About a dozen adults will also be forced to listen.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2013, 07:30 PM

22,566 posts, read 47,614,734 times
Do you really need 2 hours of music?
Usually kids' parties are noisy enough....

Old 06-12-2013, 07:37 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,901,366 times
You don't need 2 hours of music. The kids will be busy going for all the toys. A few of them will do the activities you plan, but mostly it will be chaos. They are 3!!

You will be socializing with the other parents, and nonstop music will just get annoying.

Don't make yourself feel like people will judge you. Just let the kids come in and play, and it will be fun. Then you will have fun too if you let down your expectations.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:42 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Skip the music.

Old 06-12-2013, 07:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
One song: Happy Birthday to You.

They will not pay any attention to anything else unless you're playing musical chairs.

Old 06-12-2013, 08:17 PM

12,003 posts, read 11,888,749 times
Check the children's department at the public library - they will have good recordings of a wide variety of music for children, so you won't go batty listening to two hours of the "Wheels on the Bus" going round and round and round and round and round....

But, yes, unless you're playing musical chairs, you won't need a lot of music. However, it might be nice to have music playing while the children are arriving, then have a "birthday parade" (led by the birthday boy, of course, and Sousa marches or any other marches are just fine to use) around the house or yard or wherever you're having the party.

You could also have simple musical games - march them around, lead them into a ring and have them hold hands, then (to the music) have them circle left for four beats, then, circle right for four beats ("this way!" "now, the OTHER way!" - they won't know left from right, of course). Next, go in to the middle (four steps in), then go back (back up four steps, still holding hands), then drop hands and turn around individually, clap hands four times, then start the whole thing all over with circling "THIS way!" Three year olds can do this (with adult direction/calling) with minimal assistance and great enjoyment. You do have to be part of the circle, of course...

This helps burn off energy and excitement in an organized fashion. Parents can join the parade and the circle to keep things going, but don't be surprised if some of the parents have a harder time going this way and that way than do their children. Adults tend to overthink things, while kids just do it.

Actually, this is also a good little introduction to traditional folkdance, but you don't have to tell them that!

Old 06-12-2013, 08:46 PM

36,499 posts, read 54,051,718 times
I think you are way over planning this party. Planned activities for a 3 year old will not go well. they will hoop and holler, eat and play and be ready to go home. If you obsess about music and every minute filled with activities you will be a nervous wreck.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:07 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,132,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
One song: Happy Birthday to You.

They will not pay any attention to anything else unless you're playing musical chairs.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigCreek View Post
Check the children's department at the public library - they will have good recordings of a wide variety of music for children, so you won't go batty listening to two hours of the "Wheels on the Bus" going round and round and round and round and round....

But, yes, unless you're playing musical chairs, you won't need a lot of music. However, it might be nice to have music playing while the children are arriving, then have a "birthday parade" (led by the birthday boy, of course, and Sousa marches or any other marches are just fine to use) around the house or yard or wherever you're having the party.

You could also have simple musical games - march them around, lead them into a ring and have them hold hands, then (to the music) have them circle left for four beats, then, circle right for four beats ("this way!" "now, the OTHER way!" - they won't know left from right, of course). Next, go in to the middle (four steps in), then go back (back up four steps, still holding hands), then drop hands and turn around individually, clap hands four times, then start the whole thing all over with circling "THIS way!" Three year olds can do this (with adult direction/calling) with minimal assistance and great enjoyment. You do have to be part of the circle, of course...

This helps burn off energy and excitement in an organized fashion. Parents can join the parade and the circle to keep things going, but don't be surprised if some of the parents have a harder time going this way and that way than do their children. Adults tend to overthink things, while kids just do it.

Actually, this is also a good little introduction to traditional folkdance, but you don't have to tell them that!
Either way is fine.
Don't over think the party.
Make it simple, fun & easy.

Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM

4,818 posts, read 10,998,374 times
I have 4 yr old twin boys... and an 8 yr old boy.... yeah skip the music it will be drowned out by the yelling and screaming of them running around. Organized activities will not do well as the kids will be extra excited. Just have everyone play with toys already in the house or have them outside with the bubbles and playset (if you have one). That will be plenty. Then cake (or whatever you have) and gift opening....and the 2 hours will be gone in a flash.

Old 06-13-2013, 04:25 AM

3,070 posts, read 5,230,012 times
I just had a birthday party for my 3 year old and we didn't even invite other kids but still no music needed. Don't overthink it! I have a friend who does this, spends so much time planning a picture-perfect party for child under 4 and doesn't even sit down and relax to her own child's birthday. Just be there, enjoy, live in the moment. Turn on the radio later if needed.

It already sounds pretty 'over the top' for 3 I have to say. When I was in college, I worked for a professional company that put on kid's birthdays, and we didn't even do that much stuff for that age level. Too busy. What about just renting a little bouncy castle and scrapping the games? 2.5-4 years old and all those activities will be disordered and around the yard/unusable within 10 minutes. Just IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting