Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 04:02 PM

11,495 posts, read 26,875,485 times

Advertisements

Back when flat computer monitors were still expensive, my dad bought us one as a gift. My oldest took a black permanent marker and scribbled all over it, covering the entire screen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 04:20 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,954,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
You guy's are reminding me about stuff that I need to yell at DS for again, lol.

We had an old (~1993) OTR microwave that was original to the house. It was the only appliance that hadn't been upgraded yet, but was soldiering on just fine. DS decided to heat up a pretzel one day to make it soft again and put it in for 30 minutes instead of 30 seconds. Of course, the pretzel burst into flames in the microwave and resulted in DD1 hollering to mommy who was dressing DD2, "mommy the microwaves on fire". My wife came running and shut the microwave off and removed the scorched pretzel. The house stunk for days and the old microwave was no more.
This made me grin. My son destroyed our microwave too, but he was in high school at the time. I can't remember the name of the company, but it was a coffee drink in a can. The instructions were very confusing, but in the end meant that the can was self-heating. He placed it in the microwave before school, and blew the door off it. As I said, the instructions were confusing. I wrote to the company, and the product is no longer on the market. And, I have a new microwave.

Old 06-19-2013, 08:48 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Probably a video camera. Two actually he kept taking them apart.

Old 06-20-2013, 09:54 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,722 times
Thankfully nothing but their own toys. I keep all valuables out of reach and the house is toddler-proofed. Now my oldest son... bed, Wii, blinds, dvd's, curtains, carpet, toilet, flooded bathroom. He has become more destructive as he has gotten older. He is lower on the autism spectrum and has ADHD, but he knows right from wrong. He is more difficult than my 3 year old.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:48 AM

44,259 posts, read 64,365,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
Thankfully nothing but their own toys. I keep all valuables out of reach and the house is toddler-proofed. Now my oldest son... bed, Wii, blinds, dvd's, curtains, carpet, toilet, flooded bathroom. He has become more destructive as he has gotten older. He is lower on the autism spectrum and has ADHD, but he knows right from wrong. He is more difficult than my 3 year old.
Yes, I have noticed that big children who you can't always reason with are more dangerous in that respect than little kids.

My 18 month old is very tall for his age. So he can reach up onto counters and tables, he can open doors, he can work baby gates - very little is out of his reach. But you can't necessarily reason with him and explain what is dangerous to him, etc.

Old 06-20-2013, 10:55 AM

1,950 posts, read 3,527,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
As I saw my 18 month old walk out of the laundry room (why was the door open?) gripping a bottle of Cristal (**$&@@!!! what happened to the celophane wrapper?!), I wondered about what other parents' experiences have been with destruction of expensive things.

Now, I don't mean some crayon on the wall (or stone floor at this house), or dents in baseboards and chairs from having a tricycle rammed into them.

I mean like how my friend's kid thinks it's funny to try to flush things...like the iphone and the Omega, etc.

Do tell!!!
My dental work. One accidental, swift kick to my face when I was struggling to get him dressed.

Old 06-23-2013, 03:50 PM

13,511 posts, read 19,281,755 times
Worst thing for us was when one of our little guys decided to help mommy and rinse his diaper out...cept that he flushed it down the toilet. We had to take the whole toilet up, remove the diaper (and a few other things) put a new wax down and reinstall the toilet. A real pain in the @@$.

Old 06-23-2013, 04:01 PM

2,186 posts, read 7,944,713 times
My husbands Mac Pro Laptop. He was taking care of her while she was sick and had it out to do some work. She had a nice projectile vomiting episode, and at the same time managed to push it so that it fell on our hardwood floor and the screen cracked. So, between a keyboard full of vomit and a cracked screen, that was the end of that laptop. Otherwise, she has been really good about being careful with things.

I don't think she is old enough to do anything purposely yet. But, I do cringe every time my neighbors or friends tell me about things that there kids have done. I know that it is only a matter of time...

Old 06-23-2013, 08:45 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,400,337 times
My daughter accidentally dropped my iPhone in the toilet when she was about 3.

At this point, my kids all have iPhones and iPads. My daughter can't find her iPhone and one of the iPads has a crack in the screen, but it still functions fine.

I know all my kids have tried to help their daddy bringing him his laptop. My husband was leaving for Asia when my youngest dropped it and rendered it inoperable so my husband had to buy a new laptop in Hong Kong and see what he could do to retrieve his data. (I'm pretty certain that cost at least couple grand.)

Then there are the universal remotes. - When my daughter was 2-3, she used to throw it out of fear when we would try and retrieve it from her. (We laugh about it now.) My 5 year old walks around the house with it all the time out of fear that his older sister or younger brother will attempt to confiscate it and change the channel, which means lots of dropping.

And as my husband has just reminded me...one of our french doors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting