U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is the spend-the-night policy in your home when your teen is spending the night with a friend f
I must meet the parents in advance. 4 23.53%
I will sometimes speak to the other parent on the phone to make the arrangements. 3 17.65%
Txt or phone communication is fine. 1 5.88%
If I know the other teen, I don't need to speak to his/her parents. 8 47.06%
Depends whether it is my son or daughter. 0 0%
Other. 1 5.88%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2013, 06:01 AM

9,362 posts, read 23,065,333 times

Advertisements

Have you met all the parents of the friends they are spending the night with for the first time, or do you sometimes speak with them on the phone?

And is your experience current or have your rules changed?

Last edited by Magnolia Bloom; 06-16-2013 at 06:13 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2013, 06:04 AM

35,107 posts, read 41,632,350 times
We actually knew all of our childrens friend's parents when they were teenagers and if we did not know them they did not go anywhere with that particular friend, especially to spend the night. I should add that our children rarely spent the night anywhere else though. They preferred to be at home with us and have their friends come to our home so for us this was not an issue. In addition to that the rare times they did spend the night with a friend we knew the friend and their parents and had known them since our children were about 4 years old. Most of their friends lived in the same area as we did and they all went to school together as well as being involved in sports and usually on the same teams.

Old 06-16-2013, 07:10 AM

2,572 posts, read 6,745,800 times
Hmm.... it hasn't come up yet where they've wanted to go spend the night and I didn't already know the parents. One of my son's friends is over here all the time (right now, in fact) and I have only met his mom once. She doesn't seem to monitor his coming and going very closely which makes me more inclined to have him sleep over here because I worry about him too and this way I know where he is, even though he isn't "mine"! I joke that I am going to start charging him "admission", though, consisting of a box of cereal and a roll of toilet paper!

Old 06-16-2013, 07:47 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,704,469 times
I had always known the parents of the friends... well before any discussion of staying over came up.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:08 AM

47,533 posts, read 61,714,895 times
In elementary and middle school I would almost always meet or at least talk to the other parents, but by the time my kids got to high school, it was almost always their friends staying at my house, and by then I would know their friends that I didn't need to meet the parents.

Old 06-16-2013, 08:55 AM

1,058 posts, read 1,840,489 times
We recently moved 2000 miles, DD is 14. Prior to the move, we knew all parents etc. We had all been in the same circles of sports, school, neighborhood etc. for years and years.

With the move came some soul searching and some changes in our standards. DD started at a new school and we really wanted her to settle in. Towards this endeavor we took a few more risks with her spending the night with friends etc. than perhaps we would have prior to our move. We also went and retrieved her from a sleepover that she was uncomfortable with late at night more than once. We continue to strive to meet parents in advance but that is not always a reasonable expectation. We do usually speak on the phone and one of us does make sure to at least meet the Mom or Dad when we are dropping DD off. We do insist on seeing the house so we know where she is.

She is 14 years old, we have given her good skills, she has good judgment and she knows we will come get her anytime anyplace, all she needs to do is either text or call regardless of what time it is.

Old 06-16-2013, 03:35 PM

1,100 posts, read 2,702,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnolia Bloom View Post
Have you met all the parents of the friends they are spending the night with for the first time, or do you sometimes speak with them on the phone?

And is your experience current or have your rules changed?
We would have to meet and or speak on the phone with the parents prior to him sleeping out. Our son is 14.5 years old. However, he really doesn't sleep over any one's house other than his cousins (my sister's kids).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting