Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2013, 10:21 PM

1,711 posts, read 3,600,592 times

Advertisements

To the OP, I'm glad everything went well.

I think it is OK to leave a 5 year old at a party. Many 5 year olds already are left for significant amounts of time at school, scouts, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
What if the only choice is stay and bring an extra sibling, or take the sibling and go?

That's not always realistic, especially is there are 3 or more kids in the family.
You drop off the invited child and stay with the UNinvited children somewhere else. It isn't fair to the hosts that you bring your entire family and make them pay for all of you in a situation like this. If you are afraid of dropping off your one child, talk the host beforehand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post

Do schools really dictate who comes to your kid's party??
No, they don't. You can mail/email anyone you want, just use the USPS/evite/e-mail server instead of the school to hand out the invitations. If you use the school, then you need to follow their rules.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2013, 09:22 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,909,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_hug99 View Post

No, they don't. You can mail/email anyone you want, just use the USPS/evite/e-mail server instead of the school to hand out the invitations. If you use the school, then you need to follow their rules.
You can *if* you know the emails or addresses of the children you wish to invite. I hated that when we moved here and my granddaughter started kindergarten, we had NO way to find that out. Kids were bused or driven to school and parents did not hang around and the school did not have a directory of parents. When my own kids where in preK and K, each class had a class list put out by the room mother, so we could easily find out the addresses of the kids my kids wanted to invite. Not so here - the schools are HUGE - and when you just moved, it is hard to get acquainted with the kids and parents in the class. This is especially true because most of the kids are not in the neighborhood with you. We only knew one child from her kindergarten class because he lived next door.

Old 06-27-2013, 08:20 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,925,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nana053 View Post
You can *if* you know the emails or addresses of the children you wish to invite. I hated that when we moved here and my granddaughter started kindergarten, we had NO way to find that out. Kids were bused or driven to school and parents did not hang around and the school did not have a directory of parents. When my own kids where in preK and K, each class had a class list put out by the room mother, so we could easily find out the addresses of the kids my kids wanted to invite. Not so here - the schools are HUGE - and when you just moved, it is hard to get acquainted with the kids and parents in the class. This is especially true because most of the kids are not in the neighborhood with you. We only knew one child from her kindergarten class because he lived next door.
Our school does have a directory, but it is strictly opt-in, which means that in a class of 18 students, maybe 6 will actually be in the directory. However, we have been able to hand out invites to only specific kids at school if we send them in envelopes with the kids' names on them, and then the teacher will put them in those kids' take-home folders at the end of the day. So we don't have to invite the whole class where we are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting