U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 12:13 PM

826 posts, read 1,423,377 times

Advertisements

I agree that different places have different rules. For my 5 yo, I usually plan to stay, but more often than not, the host parents say that you are free to leave and given the opportunity, I do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 02:10 PM

1,058 posts, read 1,844,114 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
At our daughter's birthday at Chuck E Cheese we specifically wrote that only the invited child was expected to attend and we would have plenty of adults to help.

One child, brought their mother, aunt, two grandparents and two other siblings and they sat at a different table. When they ordered their pizza, sodas and beer they billed it to our daughter's birthday party (without out knowledge or permission). Yikes! That was expensive!

The funniest (craziest) part was that was the only child who didn't bring a gift or card for the birthday girl. Apparently, their "gift" was having us pay for the food and drinks of four extra adults and two extra children. It was interesting that the adults never introduced themselves or talked to us until they were leaving and said that it was the best children birthday party that they had ever attended.
You spelled it out, they obviously cannot read, that is not your problem.

Why did you pay it? They were at a different table, no way would I have allowed CEC to bill me for what someone at a DIFFERENT table ordered. That is plain crazy, CEC was obligated to ask you if you were accepting the charges, not just assume.

The only injury I have seen at a bounce house establishment type place was the broken ankle of the Mom hosting, she was playing with the kids and rolled her ankle, showed up on Monday with a cast.

Old 06-19-2013, 12:38 PM

4,739 posts, read 3,825,662 times
Quote:
At our daughter's birthday at Chuck E Cheese we specifically wrote that only the invited child was expected to attend and we would have plenty of adults to help.

One child, brought their mother, aunt, two grandparents and two other siblings and they sat at a different table. When they ordered their pizza, sodas and beer they billed it to our daughter's birthday party (without out knowledge or permission). Yikes! That was expensive!

The funniest (craziest) part was that was the only child who didn't bring a gift or card for the birthday girl. Apparently, their "gift" was having us pay for the food and drinks of four extra adults and two extra children. It was interesting that the adults never introduced themselves or talked to us until they were leaving and said that it was the best children birthday party that they had ever attended.

Now that wouldn't of flied by me. I got that bill . . .I would of said Chuck E Cheeze you don't have permission to be adding random tables to my bill.

Old 06-19-2013, 02:50 PM

18,086 posts, read 18,522,139 times
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamacatnv View Post
You spelled it out, they obviously cannot read, that is not your problem.

Why did you pay it? They were at a different table, no way would I have allowed CEC to bill me for what someone at a DIFFERENT table ordered. That is plain crazy, CEC was obligated to ask you if you were accepting the charges, not just assume.

The only injury I have seen at a bounce house establishment type place was the broken ankle of the Mom hosting, she was playing with the kids and rolled her ankle, showed up on Monday with a cast.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
Now that wouldn't of flied by me. I got that bill . . .I would of said Chuck E Cheeze you don't have permission to be adding random tables to my bill.
It was something that we didn't realize until after that family had left and the party was over. With a few extra pizzas and pitchers of soda added to the basic bill, from the actual party guests and the parents who were helping us, we really didn't realize it until we were paying the bill and started to try to figure out why it was so very, very high.

Apparently, the family just told the waiter that their tab was supposed to be billed to the birthday party and no one from CEC checked with us. The child was in my daughter's class but we had never met the mother or her other relatives. I'm not sure how to say this delicately but my husband and I ended up deciding that perhaps that was a "cultural difference" so we paid the bill (after all that family had already left so we couldn't confront them) and CEC insisted that they had received permission from us.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-19-2013 at 03:58 PM..

Old 06-19-2013, 02:54 PM

8,240 posts, read 15,466,988 times
After age 7 or 8, I would always drop off unless the mom was a good friend. I just hated standing around those places making small talk. My kids are pretty independent, though. I've never had a clinger/crier. I suppose if they had been, I would have stayed. For the future, be sure to specify...and of course don't invite so many kids!

Old 06-19-2013, 05:33 PM

2,152 posts, read 6,139,558 times
[quote=germaine2626;30068734]Perhaps I missed it.

Where all 17 children invited? Or were some of the children siblings who were not invited?

QUOTE]

No, there's going to be 3 "extra" kids since they are siblings of an invitee. There's no way we'd have 17 at our house for a party. This place is made for birthday parties with plenty of kids, they have staff and there will be parents of the attending kids to help supervise. Just not all parents are planning on staying which is what I was asking about when starting this thread.

I like the ideas of specifying on the invitation going forward......I will report back and let you know how it turns out. Maybe ask if anyone has any good recipes for a nice stiff drink that I'll probably need afterwards

Old 06-19-2013, 07:32 PM

46,403 posts, read 44,730,515 times
[quote=Jake Ryan;30098066]
Quote:
Perhaps I missed it.

Where all 17 children invited? Or were some of the children siblings who were not invited?

QUOTE]

No, there's going to be 3 "extra" kids since they are siblings of an invitee. There's no way we'd have 17 at our house for a party. This place is made for birthday parties with plenty of kids, they have staff and there will be parents of the attending kids to help supervise. Just not all parents are planning on staying which is what I was asking about when starting this thread.

I like the ideas of specifying on the invitation going forward......I will report back and let you know how it turns out. Maybe ask if anyone has any good recipes for a nice stiff drink that I'll probably need afterwards
I'm sure it'll all work out. Live and learn. I also think it's well worth the $$ to NOT have a birthday party at home, especially the older they get.

No cleaning, no liability, no broken possessions etc.

I hope the mods will indulge me one funny home-party story. The last party we had at home, we had moved into a new house the month before and were beginning to peel off 1980s wallpaper in the kitchen. The last wall had only one large missing piece where I had just started peeling it off the day before but left it looking pretty rough.

We invited one kid known to be the neighborhood wild child. Let's call him "Sammy." At pick-up time, Sammy's dad just walked into the kitchen, saw the half-peeled wall and said, "Did Sammy do that?!"

That tells you a little bit about that kid! LOL

Old 06-19-2013, 08:18 PM

1,677 posts, read 2,113,705 times
I would say as long as the kid is potty trained, knows how to listen and follow directions, and doesn't have any special needs, there should be no problem with the parent dropping them off. A kid's birthday party is for the kid, not the parents. Unless I was told, it wouldn't occur to me to automatically stay at a birthday party. I would keep my cell phone nearby, but feel free to go do something else for a couple hours. Even at a bounce house place, depending on if I knew the family and knew there would be adequate staff and supervision, I wouldn't have a problem leaving a child age 5 and up. Any child under the age of 4 or who requires special attention, then their parents should be there to make sure they are looked after properly.

An example of what I consider unacceptable...last year at my dd's friend's birthday party, which took place at their house in their backyard, I literally saw a car pull up, and I swear, a 2 or 3 year old stepped out...no adult came around and opened the door or unbuckled a car seat...this toddler just got out the car, and the car pulled off. No one walked the baby to the door, introduced themselves, nothing. I stayed with my dd, but I ended up helping the host corral this little one, who was all over the place, darting toward the street, snatching food and gifts from other kids, making a huge mess out her cake and ice cream, etc. The party was for a 6 year old. Of the other 5-6 year old kids, some had parents there and some didn't, but leaving a 5 or 6 year old and a 2 or 3 year old is two different things. The older kids generally know how to behave themselves, pick up after themselves, show common courtesy, and so on. Needless to say, that little toddler was the last child to be picked up. The parents took full advantage of what they deemed to be free babysitting service.

Those bouncy house places and any place that host children's birthday parties are usually staffed for that purpose. That's the whole point of paying for those places, to take some of the load off the hosts. The staff serves the food, supervises the kids, and clean up afterward. All you pretty much have to do is keep a general watch over everything to make sure things are going smoothly. I think you can specify on the invitation next time if you want parents to stay, but I think you'll find that things will go pretty smoothly whether they do or not.

Old 06-19-2013, 09:29 PM

18,086 posts, read 18,522,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnaNomus View Post
I would say as long as the kid is potty trained, knows how to listen and follow directions, and doesn't have any special needs, there should be no problem with the parent dropping them off. A kid's birthday party is for the kid, not the parents. Unless I was told, it wouldn't occur to me to automatically stay at a birthday party. I would keep my cell phone nearby, but feel free to go do something else for a couple hours. Even at a bounce house place, depending on if I knew the family and knew there would be adequate staff and supervision, I wouldn't have a problem leaving a child age 5 and up. Any child under the age of 4 or who requires special attention, then their parents should be there to make sure they are looked after properly.

An example of what I consider unacceptable...last year at my dd's friend's birthday party, which took place at their house in their backyard, I literally saw a car pull up, and I swear, a 2 or 3 year old stepped out...no adult came around and opened the door or unbuckled a car seat...this toddler just got out the car, and the car pulled off. No one walked the baby to the door, introduced themselves, nothing. I stayed with my dd, but I ended up helping the host corral this little one, who was all over the place, darting toward the street, snatching food and gifts from other kids, making a huge mess out her cake and ice cream, etc. The party was for a 6 year old. Of the other 5-6 year old kids, some had parents there and some didn't, but leaving a 5 or 6 year old and a 2 or 3 year old is two different things. The older kids generally know how to behave themselves, pick up after themselves, show common courtesy, and so on. Needless to say, that little toddler was the last child to be picked up. The parents took full advantage of what they deemed to be free babysitting service.

Those bouncy house places and any place that host children's birthday parties are usually staffed for that purpose. That's the whole point of paying for those places, to take some of the load off the hosts. The staff serves the food, supervises the kids, and clean up afterward. All you pretty much have to do is keep a general watch over everything to make sure things are going smoothly. I think you can specify on the invitation next time if you want parents to stay, but I think you'll find that things will go pretty smoothly whether they do or not.
That is horrible! And, those parents probably "forgot" to charge their cell phone so that no one would be able to get a hold of them if there were problems (and it seems like there were problems).

Old 06-20-2013, 06:25 AM

13,253 posts, read 37,523,867 times
Things have changed so drastically since I was a kid (back in the stone age)! Maybe it's time to retro the old fashioned kids party:

1. Pre-school: just a party with mom, dad, grandparents, siblings, and any cousins who live close enough that it wouldn't be an inconvenience. In the house or in the back yard if weather permits, with bbq if weather permits, or burgers cooked inside if it doesn't, and a cake and presents.

2. Early grade school (including kindergarten): The only kids who are invited are any kids in the immediate neighborhood (as in, one square block on either side, or if you live in a big apartment complex - only the kids who live in the same building) who are of the same age, and if the kid specifies a particular friend or friends from class, they'd get invited too. The moms are also invited, but NOT siblings of invitees (other than newborns and infants - no toddlers!). This is a party for the kids AND for the moms, who watch the group as a collective, which supports each other, gives each other some relief from the stress of being the "only one" to care for their child, and gives them other adults to talk to.

Involves pin the tail on the donkey, a splash and slide or a sprinkler on the lawn, weather permitting, or a walk to the park with garbage can tops that have had their handles popped off as make-shift sleds, if there's snow. Hotdogs (or soydogs if you're vegetarian), beans (so that the kids can get the obligatory "beans beans they're good for your heart the more you eat'em the more you fart the more you fart the better you feel so eat your beans with every meal" chant out of their systems, cole slaw, french fries, and cake.

For grades 3-5, substitute pin the tail on the donkey with twister.

Lawn races, lawn croquet, bocci, and badminton are all options, weather permitting. "Forts" with blankets draped across pieces of furniture is great for the youngest kids on inclement days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting