Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 08:18 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Wait, nobody said without "a" parent. The host parents would be there of course.

I wonder what everyone thinks is going to happen if they leave. Of course there is always the chance of someone getting hurt, but that can happen anywhere, even at school. I generally stay close and keep my phone nearby.
What can happen...

Have you really never seen the kid who FREAKS OUT when he realizes his mom left, and won't stop crying and won't be consoled or distracted by anyone??? That's always fun at your kid's 5th birthday party.

As I mentioned before, I've been privy to 1 concussion and 1 broken bone at a bounce house place party. Not everyone is as "considerate" as you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-17-2013, 08:22 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
What can happen...

Have you really never seen the kid who FREAKS OUT when he realizes his mom left, and won't stop crying and won't be consoled or distracted by anyone??? That's always fun at your kid's 5th birthday party.

As I mentioned before, I've been privy to 1 concussion and 1 broken bone at a bounce house place party. Not everyone is as "considerate" as you.
Would the kids not have broken a bone if mom had been there?

As I said earlier, the parents who stay seem to do so because they are more comfortable being there. It would follow that a parent with a kid with separation anxiety wouldn't choose to leave. I've been to a ton of these parties, stayed, left, whatever seemed appropriate, and I've never seen a kid freak out when they realized their parent left. Wouldn't the parent tell the kid they were leaving?

Old 06-17-2013, 08:25 PM

I love it when people rep me to make a comment they won't make here . Yes, you can pay for a sitter. I'm not advocating bringing uninvited siblings to a party. But really, who is going to pay for a sitter so their other kid can go to a party? No one. They just won't go, or they will usually ask the host if it is ok if they leave.

Old 06-17-2013, 08:54 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake Ryan View Post
Ok, my wife and I were having a discussion about this today.....my daughter is having her 5th birthday party this coming weekend (I can't believe it). We're having it at one of those indoor bounce house places. It is scheduled to last about 2 hours.

We have about 17 kids coming, and they range in age with no kids over 10 years old. We have had numerous parents say they were coming and were excited about the chance to go have a lunch "date" with each other while leaving their kids at the party. The 2 couples that have said this did not ask if we minded watching their kids. One couple has 2 kids coming ages 6 & 10 which I really don't mind since the 10 year old is pretty responsible (she's still 10 though). The other couple has 2 kids ages 6 & 4....do you think this is out of line to:

1: Just leave your kids unattended at the party
2: If you are doing so, to assume that we are going to watch their kids for 2 hours

What say you?
Perhaps I missed it.

Where all 17 children invited? Or were some of the children siblings who were not invited?

IMHO Parents should never leave children who were NOT invited at a party. Insist on that.
Parents should only stay with their invited child only if they (the parents were invited as well).

Old 06-17-2013, 09:01 PM

19,480 posts, read 25,142,492 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think it's important nowadays for the host of the party to make it very clear on the invitations.

I've been to the parties where parents stay, they're often not doing much watching of their children and are really just one more burden on the host who has to make sure the adults are being entertained and getting enough beer.

If I gave a children's party, I would not want adults barging in on it, expecting food and beverages and someone to sit and chat with them.

I think the invitation can be written in such a way that it makes it clear which way the host wants it -- clearly invite the adults if you want them there, inform them upfront what you'll be providing them in the way of meal and beverages. Or invite the child, put down a drop off time and pick up time, make it clear you're throwing a children's party.

If you invite the adults, you can sometimes expect they'll also be bringing along the whole clan, grandparents, a couple aunts and uncles, and all their children and so you must plan on how you'll entertain all who come.
At our daughter's birthday at Chuck E Cheese we specifically wrote that only the invited child was expected to attend and we would have plenty of adults to help.

One child, brought their mother, aunt, two grandparents and two other siblings and they sat at a different table. When they ordered their pizza, sodas and beer they billed it to our daughter's birthday party (without out knowledge or permission). Yikes! That was expensive!

The funniest (craziest) part was that was the only child who didn't bring a gift or card for the birthday girl. Apparently, their "gift" was having us pay for the food and drinks of four extra adults and two extra children. It was interesting that the adults never introduced themselves or talked to us until they were leaving and said that it was the best children birthday party that they had ever attended.

Last edited by germaine2626; 06-17-2013 at 09:14 PM..

Old 06-17-2013, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post
At our daughter's birthday at Chuck E Cheese we specifically wrote that only the invited child was expected to attend and we would have plenty of adults of help.

One child, brought their mother, aunt, two grandparents and two other siblings and they sat at a different table. When they ordered their pizza, sodas and beer they billed it to our daughter's birthday party (without out knowledge or permission). Yikes! That was expensive!
What is wrong with people??

Old 06-17-2013, 09:14 PM

3,663 posts, read 8,664,286 times
17 kids?? Most parents just drop the kids and run, they assume you are watching them during your party time of 2-4, for example.
Unless you state on the invitation you want one parent to stay, don't expect them to stay, this is considered free babysitter time.

Have fun and keep your eyes open, 17 kids!

Old 06-17-2013, 09:25 PM

13,981 posts, read 25,948,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
In my experience, the kids who behaved the worst were the ones whose moms ALWAYS dropped off because they 1) couldn't/didn't control their kids and 2) never passed up a chance to "get a break" from those kids.
Then my experiences were much better than yours. I never had an out of control guest. Maybe that's because the parents weren't there. If you think about it, it isn't much different from a teacher having a roomful of kids, and the school day is a heck of a lot longer than a 2 hour party.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:26 PM

466 posts, read 815,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by germaine2626 View Post

Wow! That's crazy!

We had our son's 1st birthday party at our local children's museum, and I think they have a great system to avoid people trying to sneak others in on the host's dime. We had to give the front desk a list of people (kids and parents) invited to the party. Anybody not on the list (siblings, extra adult relatives) had to pay. That way the party place doesn't have to track you down to ask and you aren't put on the spot to say yes, you'll cover them.

Old 06-17-2013, 09:28 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,927,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Would the kids not have broken a bone if mom had been there?

As I said earlier, the parents who stay seem to do so because they are more comfortable being there. It would follow that a parent with a kid with separation anxiety wouldn't choose to leave. I've been to a ton of these parties, stayed, left, whatever seemed appropriate, and I've never seen a kid freak out when they realized their parent left. Wouldn't the parent tell the kid they were leaving?
I don't really know why you are belaboring this thread. When you have a large group of kids in a chaotic setting like a birthday party, lots of things "would not follow."

So you've never seen a kid freak out? I have. I didn't analyze the child at the moment. I don't know if it was the first or millionth time it happened. I don't know if he had actual separation anxiety or just panicked.

All I know is I had to spend a considerable amount of my time at my own child's party trying to track down an acquaintance from school who had slipped out without giving me her cell # but whose kid was going apesh*t crazy.

Crap happens. You can't always predict it, and you can't control it. I've sure as hell given up on being surprised by the behavior of other parents. I just try to learn from my mistakes and others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting