Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-28-2013, 01:26 AM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Since my wife and I have no family support, we are forced to send our children to day care. Up until this point, my daughter has been going to a center with over 150 children total in the whole place. Just in her class alone, she has been bitten twice by two different children, punched, kicked, smashed over the head by toys, and has been sick ever since day one. There are 3 little children who have been sick ever since I started my child in day care over a year ago. These three children have had red eyes, black circles around each eye, and running snot oozing from the nose. I cannot believe this has been going on for so long. Most of the teachers look like they have been ran over by a truck and dragged 20 miles. My wife and I have sick more times in the last year than I have ever been in my entire life. I am fed up with this. We found a nice small licensed day care through a state referral service and enrolled both kids. My daughter starts Monday and my son starts as soon as another opening is available. Kind of like a wait list. The day care is licensed for 12 children only. The back yard is massive and has play structures that make me jealous. The husband and wife are both certified in CPR, have a disaster plan, and provide meals along with snacks. There is a curriculum based off State standards and is very clean and well organized. All kids are clean, well behaved, play nice together, and are not sick. Question, what are the good and bad about in-home day care? I want to hear some testimonials from people who switched to a smaller day care.
Being as this school was a referral is a good thing. The fact that there are so few children is good as well. I taught nursery school for 2 years. There were around 30 children in all, seperated much of the day into 3 age groups. I was sick almost the whole 2 years I worked there. I had tonsillitis so many times I had to have my tonsils removed. The big issue was the parents did not want to miss any work because their children were sick so they sent them to pre-school ill. I saw everything from your basic colds to flu, pink eye, strep throat, sinus infections and we even had a child come with scarlet fever. You and your children should probably do a lot better with this new situation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2013, 07:24 AM

84 posts, read 181,057 times
Well, my in-home day care experience came to a crashing end yesterday. My wife goes to pick my child up and the lady nit picks how I dropped my daughter off 35 minutes too early. She also tell my wife that my daughter is rowdy and does not take a nap. This is day 4 of this new day care. The owner also tells my wife that my daughter is rowdy because of my wife's lack of structure. WTF! Wait a minute. She then tells my wife that my daughter is not working out and that she has a two week trial. Then she says that she demands pre-payment first thing in the morning. My wife was devastated and came home crying. I called up and canceled the day care and picked up my items. The thing that bothered me is when I went to pick up my daughter's things, the first thing the owner tells me is if she offended my wife? Well, now the hunt for a new day care is on.

Old 06-28-2013, 08:14 AM

For all those who have worked at a big center day care, let me ask you this? Is it normal to walk into the front door and smell poop, pee, vomit, and funk of any kind? Other than my child getting abused at this day care, the stench was one of the few reasons why I pulled my child from this place. Somebody told me the reason this smell is around is because the teachers do not properly clean the toys and rooms. Is this true? Should a center have a nasty lingering smell at all?

Old 06-28-2013, 08:27 AM

919 posts, read 1,691,392 times
Op, I'm so sorry, which state are you in, if you don't mind

Old 06-28-2013, 08:56 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,718,061 times
Quote:
For all those who have worked at a big center day care, let me ask you this? Is it normal to walk into the front door and smell poop, pee, vomit, and funk of any kind? Other than my child getting abused at this day care, the stench was one of the few reasons why I pulled my child from this place. Somebody told me the reason this smell is around is because the teachers do not properly clean the toys and rooms. Is this true? Should a center have a nasty lingering smell at all?
I don't work at a day care, but my daughter went to one and no, that's not normal. Sometimes there was a bit of a diapery smell in the afternoon, but it wasn't bad.

If possible, call 5 or 6 places, small/medium/large close to where you live or work, and take a day off to visit all of them. There's bound to be one that will work for you.

Old 06-28-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
Op, I'm so sorry, which state are you in, if you don't mind

Washington State.

Old 06-28-2013, 12:21 PM

861 posts, read 2,718,861 times
Quote:
What happened to you is awful & unacceptable!
But no, odors like that are not common at all and I'd steer clear.
My son's center never smells. Diapers are changed every 2 hours, needed or not, and trash is emptied several times a day.

Old 06-28-2013, 06:12 PM

17,183 posts, read 22,929,208 times
Quote:
No, I worked in a center and there was no smell. Diapers were changed every 2 hours regardless of the need. Anything funky was cleaned immediately. Toys were bleached on a regular basis.

Old 06-28-2013, 07:56 PM

16,489 posts, read 24,487,638 times
Quote:
The daycare I worked for did not smell at all. We took children as young as 2 and as old as 6. They were supposed to be potty trained before they were accepted, but we had several children that were not potty trained and we had to do it, mostly me since I worked with the 2 and 3 yr. olds. It is not normal for smells like that all the time.

Old 07-02-2013, 09:59 AM

4,738 posts, read 4,436,809 times
I just read a story in Angies List about daycares. . .and the story started with a in-home day care where the parents were trying to save money and on day one the 18 month old strangles her self to death in a backyard fence slat.

And that, my friends, is why I go to establish day care centers

1) better regulated
2) they know their job (you love your kid, but you have to work. . .)
3) they are open everyday, except maybe core holidays (where your work is closed too)

i'm sticking with Primrose
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting