Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 10:15 AM

1,831 posts, read 4,424,133 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisFromChicago View Post
I just read a story in Angies List about daycares. . .and the story started with a in-home day care where the parents were trying to save money and on day one the 18 month old strangles her self to death in a backyard fence slat.

And that, my friends, is why I go to establish day care centers

1) better regulated
2) they know their job (you love your kid, but you have to work. . .)
3) they are open everyday, except maybe core holidays (where your work is closed too)

i'm sticking with Primrose
Yes, I used established centers as well. They were mostly fine. I interviewed a few home day cares, and I was observant. I took note of anything I saw or heard that wasn't right. There were those who took more children than permitted, had thick blankets in the playpens where the infant would sleep, who said their husband/neighbor regularly stopped in to help out, etc. I used this same process for centers.
Anything that I didn't like resulted in the daycare being struck from my list. Once my babies were enrolled in the day care, I would sometimes stop by in the middle of the day to see how they were doing. I know that is a luxury, but I had a daycare close to my job, so I was lucky.

I also would call the state to see if the daycare had any confirmed complaints against it. If it did, I'd cross it out. As my children became older, I would find out more about the complaint to see how much it impacted safety, and take that into account along with my observations.

To me, home day cares are hit or miss. I heard too many horror stories, and my BS detector went off too many times during too many interviews.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2013, 02:40 PM

1,527 posts, read 2,250,900 times
One thing that kept me from using a home day care was it made me too dependent on one person. In a daycare center, you have a LOT of ears/eyes on the people caring for your kids. I just couldn't put that much faith in one person I didn't know very well. All states have ratios and in my state I can pull up licensed centers and see what violations they've had when surprise inspections are done. In my experience, I have found that the centers that serve county/city schools are the most organized and keep on top of all regulations since they are scrutinized a lot heavier.

Visit and talk to as many centers as you can and listen to your gut instincts. Good luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 06:53 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
By law all at home daycare facilities MUST have their license visibly posted.
Also the reason why many of the daycare centers are small is because size is nearly irrelevant, if you have 1 bathroom you can have 12 children so long as the space is x amount of feet.

Also, i am not sure about that daycare but the one I work at is structured so a lot of the time is group activities which there is enough room for, the rest of the day is spent taking walks, feeding ducks and taking trips
Some home day cares are not licensed. A license may be required, but some people don't follow the rules.

Therefore size is relevant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 20yrsinBranson View Post
You have to adjust your lifestyle so that both of you do not have to work. Whether that is to move to a smaller house in a smaller town, or give up a vehicle or have one person work days and the other person work nights, whatever it takes. You do your children a huge injustice by not raising them yourself and letting strangers do it. When you were a child would you rather have been raised by paid strangers who do not care and certainly do not LOVE you, or a loving, caring, nurturing mother? Why would you do less for your child than you would do for yourself.

Change your life, man. Don't put your kids through that kind of hell.

20yrsinBranson
No, they do no "have" to do anything. Sitters do not raise children. They entertain them during the work day. Parents raise children. Again with all the opinions coming from a non-parent.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
For all those who have worked at a big center day care, let me ask you this? Is it normal to walk into the front door and smell poop, pee, vomit, and funk of any kind? Other than my child getting abused at this day care, the stench was one of the few reasons why I pulled my child from this place. Somebody told me the reason this smell is around is because the teachers do not properly clean the toys and rooms. Is this true? Should a center have a nasty lingering smell at all?
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It doesn't take many dirty diapers to make an enclosed space stink. I really doubt unclean toys are causing the stink. That would have to be some seriously filthy toys! Ask how often they sanitize the toys. They should all be sanitized once/week or when the item has been in a child's mouth.

ETA, I thought you meant the smell was at the center, not the home. In any case, the toys should be sanitized 1/week minimum, and cloth toys laundered that often.

Old 07-03-2013, 04:29 AM

919 posts, read 1,684,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibbiekat View Post
Some home day cares are not licensed. A license may be required, but some people don't follow the rules.

Therefore size is relevant.
I think it would be safe to assume that OP was looking at licensed day care centers since he seems to be on top of his research and such, so size would be a factor.

Quote:
I'm sorry you had a bad experience. It doesn't take many dirty diapers to make an enclosed space stink. I really doubt unclean toys are causing the stink. That would have to be some seriously filthy toys! Ask how often they sanitize the toys. They should all be sanitized once/week or when the item has been in a child's mouth.

ETA, I thought you meant the smell was at the center, not the home. In any case, the toys should be sanitized 1/week minimum, and cloth toys laundered that often.
And toys should be sanitized daily especially for younger children (OP's child is not even kindergarten age) who very commonly mouth toys. Furniture such as tables and chairs should also be sanitized ( with anti bacteria cleanser/ wipes) at least one a day.

I am not anti daycare center by any means, my sister had a good experience, but after working at an at home daycare I saw the difference. My advice to OP is to do your research, look at reviews, look up complaints, and visit/ ask questions when you need to. I feel that if you do this you will find what's best for you and your child

Old 07-03-2013, 06:25 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,072,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzii View Post
I think it would be safe to assume that OP was looking at licensed day care centers since he seems to be on top of his research and such, so size would be a factor.

And toys should be sanitized daily especially for younger children (OP's child is not even kindergarten age) who very commonly mouth toys. Furniture such as tables and chairs should also be sanitized ( with anti bacteria cleanser/ wipes) at least one a day.

I am not anti daycare center by any means, my sister had a good experience, but after working at an at home daycare I saw the difference. My advice to OP is to do your research, look at reviews, look up complaints, and visit/ ask questions when you need to. I feel that if you do this you will find what's best for you and your child
Yes, I mentioned mouthed toys in my post. Daily sanitizing would be great. By law in my state, weekly sanitizing is required.

Old 07-03-2013, 06:37 AM

84 posts, read 180,778 times
Well, I finally went with a long time friend who runs a license day care from her home. I have not conteplated her day care due to the out of the way drive. The house is on the way to work, but a little out of the way and a few miles more driving. My wife and I have known this women for years, but she lives in SE Portland. My daughter has been attending this day care for a week now and no runny nose or no sicky sick. The place is clean, the 7 children are clean, the children are all well dressed, and they all seem to get along very good. Like I said, the drive into work will be a little longer to and from work, but it is worth it and I have a nice lady watching over my two children. Thanks for all the info from you nice people.

Old 07-04-2013, 11:17 AM

861 posts, read 2,711,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyFather View Post
Well, I finally went with a long time friend who runs a license day care from her home. I have not conteplated her day care due to the out of the way drive. The house is on the way to work, but a little out of the way and a few miles more driving. My wife and I have known this women for years, but she lives in SE Portland. My daughter has been attending this day care for a week now and no runny nose or no sicky sick. The place is clean, the 7 children are clean, the children are all well dressed, and they all seem to get along very good. Like I said, the drive into work will be a little longer to and from work, but it is worth it and I have a nice lady watching over my two children. Thanks for all the info from you nice people.
I'm glad you're choice, but just be forewarned: kids get sick. Especially in the winter. You will find this in ANY group setting, center or in home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting