Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayN View Post
Mothers are here to nurture the kids. Two people babying him is too much.
nurture - definition of nurture by the Free Online Dictionary, Thesaurus and Encyclopedia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 08:07 AM

14,294 posts, read 13,186,136 times
Quote:
Men in the past managed very well without it. I tried to hug my grandfather as a kid one day. He didn't say anything but his blue eyes turned ice cold. There's a fine line of respect that shouldn't be crossed.

I would respectfully submit that this kind of thing as well as what you have said about your father have made you a victim likely to repeat the abuse you suffered. In the absence of some help to attain a more healthy view of familial relationships, I am sorry to say that I suspect this will be repeated on your children.

Old 07-12-2013, 03:34 AM

3,636 posts, read 3,425,202 times
Quote:
Yes, it was always the father's role, a good beating.
I do not join in on this notion that there are gender roles and that disicipline and affection is proportioned out to the parents based on the contents of their underwear. There is no reason to think that any aspect of parenting is - or should be - the sole purview of either parent. Nor the nonsense notion that if one parent is doing X - the other should not.

Old 07-12-2013, 05:05 AM

6,486 posts, read 6,387,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
I do not join in on this notion that there are gender roles and that disicipline and affection is proportioned out to the parents based on the contents of their underwear. There is no reason to think that any aspect of parenting is - or should be - the sole purview of either parent. Nor the nonsense notion that if one parent is doing X - the other should not.
Layman's terms, monumentus, layman's terms!

JayN, if the men are the only ones getting regular practice disciplining the child, and the women are the only ones getting practice nurturing the child...

what happens when/if one of the parents die, walk out, are drafted by the military, etc? The poor child will be left with a parent who knows exactly one-half of what the child needs to develop normally.

Of course, "a good beating" kind of tells me where the child's development ranks on your list of priorities, so perhaps I am wasting my time on you altogether...

Old 07-12-2013, 05:15 AM

Default Back to topic.

I can understand why posters like JayN equate nurturing with babying however, just looking over this thread again. The vast majority of people here are flat-out saying "Naw! Shower your kid with affection as often as you like! There's no such thing as too much of it."

Well I consider this babying the child, even if they are becoming physically and cognitively independent, whether as a result of the parent's guidance or otherwise. That's because you can "baby" someone in many different ways, and sabotage the development of their emotional independence as easily as physical/cognitive. I consider giving them more than enough attention and affection babying them. And while I admit one can objectively measure levels of physical and cognitive independence more easily than emotional independence, we all know at least one person who seems to need more attention or more external regulation of their moods/emotions than what is typical, even if they've managed to hold things together in other aspects of life.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
Layman's terms, monumentus, layman's terms!
No idea what you mean? Do you think I should dumb something down for him?

Old 07-12-2013, 07:24 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by somebodynew View Post
I would respectfully submit that this kind of thing as well as what you have said about your father have made you a victim likely to repeat the abuse you suffered. In the absence of some help to attain a more healthy view of familial relationships, I am sorry to say that I suspect this will be repeated on your children.
It doesn't matter because I would never have children. I can't wait to have a vasectomy.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 AM

677 posts, read 1,193,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vic 2.0 View Post
JayN, if the men are the only ones getting regular practice disciplining the child, and the women are the only ones getting practice nurturing the child...

what happens when/if one of the parents die, walk out, are drafted by the military, etc? The poor child will be left with a parent who knows exactly one-half of what the child needs to develop normally.

Of course, "a good beating" kind of tells me where the child's development ranks on your list of priorities, so perhaps I am wasting my time on you altogether...
If one parents dies, then his/her responsability will be lacking, unless you can get an equal figure like a grandfather/grandmother, uncle/aunt, etc.

Yeah, let's pretend kids don't need to be punished. That must be why kids these days are true savages.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monumentus View Post
No idea what you mean? Do you think I should dumb something down for him?
That was the joke, yes.

Quote:
If one parents dies, then his/her responsability will be lacking, unless you can get an equal figure like a grandfather/grandmother, uncle/aunt, etc.
Exactly. So parents who subscribe to your way of thinking ("nurturing is the mother's job, discipline the father's") are intentionally putting their child at risk of this particular consequence of losing a parent (as if losing a parent isn't bad enough) for no good reason. Don't you find the purpose of parenting is to do all you can to ensure the child grows up well-rounded? Not just, you know, what you want to do?

Quote:
Yeah, let's pretend kids don't need to be punished. That must be why kids these days are true savages.
Sometimes kids need to be punished. Sometimes other methods of correction are sufficient and anything beyond these methods can do more harm than good. It depends, and on more than what the parent personally feels like doing at the time, mind you.

Quote:
It doesn't matter because I would never have children. I can't wait to have a vasectomy.
*becomes a theist* ("There is a God!")

Old 07-12-2013, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Inefficient nonsense. If both parents engage in, and become proficient in, all tasks related to the upbringing of a child - without recourse to these archaic notions of gender roles to which you appear to subscribe - then the issue simple is non-existent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting