Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 11:44 AM

2,061 posts, read 4,127,343 times

Advertisements

Glad you decided to trust him. I went on vacation when my boys were about that old~ was gone for a week and 1/2. no great thing~ they went to school. My brother and I also sent a crew to do a construction job and they were gone for 5 days. Yes, my 16 yo son was the foreman of that crew and job got well done on schedule. Second son was also running a construction crew at 16. If they haven't learned not to burn your house down by 16 how will they ever be able to adjust to weeks and months on their own by 18?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2013, 04:15 PM

63 posts, read 62,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deckdoc View Post
Glad you decided to trust him. I went on vacation when my boys were about that old~ was gone for a week and 1/2. no great thing~ they went to school. My brother and I also sent a crew to do a construction job and they were gone for 5 days. Yes, my 16 yo son was the foreman of that crew and job got well done on schedule. Second son was also running a construction crew at 16. If they haven't learned not to burn your house down by 16 how will they ever be able to adjust to weeks and months on their own by 18?
This is very true. I remember freshman year of college and the foolery that went on in the dorms. You would have thought the kids were 11 having their first sleepover. Food fights? Really? The conditions of the bathroom, abominable. I couldn't believe they were really TPing stuff and pulling "Jackass" like stunts in our common hallway with all those cute new girls on campus. Definition of doing it wrong. I think a healthy dose of freedom for teenagers prepares them for a more mature young adulthood.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:17 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,489,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
Update: My wife and I are now on the same page and we are going to let him stay. This was important as we wanted to discuss this with him as a united front. We believe he'll do fine. He's working at his internship full days and he'll be home three nights - the next day he will meet us for the rest of the vacation. We have friends checking in with him every night he's at home (including parents of his friends) and they are supporting our decision as they find our son to be responsible enough. Our son was relieved and thanked us for trusting him to do this. It was a great conversation!

Anyhow, thanks to everyone for your opinion. Vacation is next week and I'll let you know if we made the right decision.
Thanks for the update

Hope you have a great vacation!

Old 07-08-2013, 10:22 PM

6,480 posts, read 6,149,958 times
I say if he's mature enough to drive, and can cook and do housework, he should be able to stay home. 16 is pushing it for staying home for three days but he's just 1 1/2 years away from being able to live on his own.

Old 07-09-2013, 08:50 AM

90,316 posts, read 120,475,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prettykidsdad View Post
This is very true. I remember freshman year of college and the foolery that went on in the dorms. You would have thought the kids were 11 having their first sleepover. Food fights? Really? The conditions of the bathroom, abominable. I couldn't believe they were really TPing stuff and pulling "Jackass" like stunts in our common hallway with all those cute new girls on campus. Definition of doing it wrong. I think a healthy dose of freedom for teenagers prepares them for a more mature young adulthood.
And you know what? Some of that stuff goes on for years! I hardly think leaving a 16 yr old home alone for 3 days will prevent some of the above.

My husband went to a very prestigious college, I won't say which one to avoid embarrassing him should he ever see this. I'm talking hard core academic. Anyway, one time in the alumni newsletter, a graduate sent in an account of his wedding where, according to said grad, they had a good old (insert name of college) style food fight! Mind you this is an educated person in at least his early 20s. DH denied that such things ever happened there, but I don't believe him.

Old 07-09-2013, 09:48 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post

My husband went to a very prestigious college, I won't say which one to avoid embarrassing him should he ever see this. I'm talking hard core academic. Anyway, one time in the alumni newsletter, a graduate sent in an account of his wedding where, according to said grad, they had a good old (insert name of college) style food fight! Mind you this is an educated person in at least his early 20s. DH denied that such things ever happened there, but I don't believe him.
Lol. Since I know that college..... Oh, yes. They are known for some wild good times. As are their graduates. I worked with some when I was in my early 20's (most of them were as well) and I never failed to be amazed at how good they were at enjoying themselves.

They might have invented the motto "Work Hard - Play Hard". If they didn't invent it, they perfected it. Goodness only knows what they were like as teenagers.

Old 07-09-2013, 10:35 AM

63 posts, read 62,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
And you know what? Some of that stuff goes on for years! I hardly think leaving a 16 yr old home alone for 3 days will prevent some of the above.

LMAO that was probably my school, messed up I didn't get the wedding invite. But I don't like sitting through weddings anyway.

Old 07-22-2013, 06:51 AM

64 posts, read 78,522 times
Update: It worked out very well. Son was home alone Sunday through Wednesday met us for the rest of vacation Wednesday night. He completed his usual chores and even got the trash out for pick up! Yes, he had a few friends over to cook out on the back deck one evening but neighbors reported no unusual activity. I am so glad we went with our gut and didn't over react. Thanks to all for the reasonable advice I received here.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:22 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,857,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
Update: It worked out very well. Son was home alone Sunday through Wednesday met us for the rest of vacation Wednesday night. He completed his usual chores and even got the trash out for pick up! Yes, he had a few friends over to cook out on the back deck one evening but neighbors reported no unusual activity. I am so glad we went with our gut and didn't over react. Thanks to all for the reasonable advice I received here.
I am glad it worked out well! Thanks for the update.

Old 07-22-2013, 07:31 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,227,317 times
Glad it went well!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting