Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 08:48 AM

10,564 posts, read 12,811,961 times

Advertisements

Every responsible kid has friends and at least one unsavory friend. Notice you are trying to make yourself feel better by tacking on the 1/2 to his age...as if hoping that extra 6 months makes a difference. The kid will be fine for three days..but no matter how nice the guy is---his "friends" will invade your house...other than that...go for it. IF YOU DARE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2013, 08:51 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,676,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg Bach View Post
Every responsible kid has friends and at least one unsavory friend. Notice you are trying to make yourself feel better by tacking on the 1/2 to his age...as if hoping that extra 6 months makes a difference. The kid will be fine for three days..but no matter how nice the guy is---his "friends" will invade your house...other than that...go for it. IF YOU DARE
oh good grief

Old 07-01-2013, 09:09 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,859,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by opus123 View Post
Wow - I haven't had the chance to check in over the weekend, I really appreciate all of your responses. Just to clarify -there are a couple of friends who he could stay with but prefers to be at home by himself. On those three days he will be working 8 hours per day and just be home at night.

We're going to sit down with him this evening to hear his side and then we will make a decision. I'm less sure now whether we should let him stay. Some of the stories I've read here are scaring the heck out of me!
My parents left me home alone when I was fifteen. Like your son, I had responsibilities, and couldn't go on vacation with them, and I never had a party. I was off to college when I was seventeen, and if your son hasn't ever been left alone, I would think this would be a chance for you and for him to see how it goes. As long as you have someone checking in on him, I think you'll be fine. That said, it DOES depend on the child, and on the neighborhood/community you live in.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:57 AM

6,417 posts, read 7,242,599 times
Quote:
Wow - I haven't had the chance to check in over the weekend, I really appreciate all of your responses. Just to clarify -there are a couple of friends who he could stay with but prefers to be at home by himself. On those three days he will be working 8 hours per day and just be home at night.

We're going to sit down with him this evening to hear his side and then we will make a decision. I'm less sure now whether we should let him stay. Some of the stories I've read here are scaring the heck out of me!
Don't worry about the horror stories - you know your son best and know whether he is mature enough and capable of staying home.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:23 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,196,835 times
Quote:
We are leaving for vacation in a few weeks. Our 16-1/2 yo son would like to skip the 1st three days of it and join us later (us = mom, dad & 11 yo daughter). He is participating in a 7 week summer internship and if he takes vacation the entire week, he will be working later into the summer and cut into the free time before he gets into HS X-country training. Also, he says getting too old for these "family vacations" and rather spend time with his friends.

I (dad) am leaning toward saying yes. Of course, we would be in constant contact with him on those days and have friends and neighbors checking in. My wife is leaning towards no, saying he should go on the entire vacation.

He is generally a very responsible kid. Honor student, lots of xtra cirricular activities, sports. Some of his friends though tend to be a little wild. I'm looking for feedback from parents who have been in a similar situation or any parent who has an opinion.
If you have reliable neighbors that can do in person checks a couple times a day and also be avilable to him in case of emergency I'd do it.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:03 PM

64 posts, read 78,752 times
lovesMountains - you make a great deal of sense and to be honest, my gut tells me he'll be OK. My wife and I, unfortunately, are not quite on the same page on this. We'll be discussing this among ourselves before we sit down with our son but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to convince her he can handle it. This is a kid who takes a bus and the subway to a 40 hr/week internship 5 days a week...he's responsible.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:23 PM

13,980 posts, read 25,937,803 times
Quote:
lovesMountains - you make a great deal of sense and to be honest, my gut tells me he'll be OK. My wife and I, unfortunately, are not quite on the same page on this. We'll be discussing this among ourselves before we sit down with our son but I'm fairly confident I'll be able to convince her he can handle it. This is a kid who takes a bus and the subway to a 40 hr/week internship 5 days a week...he's responsible.
Good for you Dad. I'm on the side of trust them until they prove otherwise.

Old 07-01-2013, 02:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattie View Post
Good for you Dad. I'm on the side of trust them until they prove otherwise.
You and me both.

I always told my kids, be where you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to be doing and you will earn more and more of my trust so that you can continue to have more and more freedom.

Failure to be where you are supposed to be, doing what you are supposed to be doing means you have lost my trust and I will now be all over you like white on rice.

After shadowing my kid in school for a whole day when he was an obnoxious 7th grader who was becoming the class clown he never failed to "gain my trust" from that day forward

Old 07-01-2013, 02:31 PM

Quote:
Let us know how it goes opus

These are not easy decisions, but only a good parent would agonize over the right thing to do - so good for you

Old 07-01-2013, 07:24 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,940,051 times
Definitely not. He needs to be at least 16 3/4.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting