Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 10:44 PM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times

Advertisements

1. Graham, 35, is the father of Alicia, 15, a sophomore in high school. He and his wife have custody of her on the weekends. He overheard her and her friends talking about a "rager" to be held the next Saturday night in a gravel pit about a mile from his home. He and Alicia had been getting on poorly, so he let Alicia's lie that she was doing homework at her friend Brynn's house slip by him, and stayed up until 2 am, when Alicia arrived home, to make sure she was safe, but did not alert Alicia of his presence. She was visibly drunk but stumbled into her room and slept until 2 pm the next morning. Did Graham act rightly? What should Graham do in the future?

2. Dave, 40, and Caryn, 38, are the parents of Dade, 14. Recently Dade has appeared to gain an enormous amount of weight. They believe they feed him healthily, and both parents are not even overweight. His friends always hang out after school, and often go to local fast food restaurants such as Chipotle and White Castle. Dade is rather proud of his new figure, and believes it will dispose him to become quarterback of the high school JV football team. How should they approach this issue with Dade?

3. John Jr., 44, and Elaine, 46, began attending a Charismatic Christian church with their four children eleven years ago. Recently, the oldest, John III, who is now 16, has been refusing to attend. The parents discover Satanic literature, such as The Satanic Bible by Anton LaVey, that he has left behind in the study. What are they to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2013, 08:58 AM

8,590 posts, read 12,334,693 times
Is this a homework assignment? I'm happy to offer my opinion here, but I am not willing to do some one's homework assignment or participate is some sort of research without being told about it previously.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,834,936 times
Graham should have waited to have kids until he was older.

Dave and Caryn shouldn't have named their kid Dade.

Rebels gonna rebel.

A+ IMO.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:48 AM

13,511 posts, read 19,270,967 times
Graham did good (hard as that must have been)..had he done anything else he risked losing any kind of contact with his daughter. Since he's already not getting along with her, anything else would have just damaged his relationship with her further...He should try to become closer with his daughter so he can be more able to guide and protect her.

Dade likes the way he is now, he's proud of himself...if they were smart his parents would support and encourage him. The worst they could do is get on him about losing weight...that would effectively detract from his joy and self esteem...they should love him like he is, he's only 14...he could lose that weight any time, but if he's happy and proud now, why spoil it for him with negativity.

JohnIII is just checking out the "other side of the coin" to speak. If one believes in Jesus, then why not the devil..His parents could gently speak with him about it...though I personally feel that if you approve of your son reading the bible, then it's hypocritical not to allow him to read about the devil. I would tell him that if he had any questions about what he's reading to feel comfortable to ask questions about that as well...the main thing for him to know is that his parents are available to him, and love him whether he goes to church...or not.

I also feel that if at least ONE of these parents had a good and trusting relationship with their children they wouldn't be experiencing the anguish and worry that they are now.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:06 PM

8,268 posts, read 8,643,023 times
Put on an enormous amount of weight to play quarterback?

John and Elaine should talk to the kid, and not judge. Most kids that age don't want to go to church. The Satan stuff may just be curiosity.

Graham did the right thing. Most kids do that stuff. He should mention it months from now so she knows that he cut her some slack and isn't always the bad guy.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:54 PM

16,715 posts, read 19,400,390 times
Default Exactly

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
Is this a homework assignment? I'm happy to offer my opinion here, but I am not willing to do some one's homework assignment or participate is some sort of research without being told about it previously.
I hope you're not studying to be a psychologist or something, because this would be a fail.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:09 PM

4,749 posts, read 4,320,502 times
First off, Graham should've waited 10 more years before having a child. I don't think he should ground her, but he should say something like, "How do you like hangovers?". He should also make it clear that if she's ever intoxicated to call him for a ride home instead of driving home or having a friend drive her home (DUIs are no joke!).

How are Dade and his friends getting to fast-food places at age 14? I guess I'll pretend it's Manhattan or something... QBs can't be heavy, but he could play defense. His parents should alert him of the dangers of obesity and let him know that QBs need to be able to run.

Let John III (Or Trey/Trae as I would nickname him) practice read his Satanic book. His parents shouldn't force him to go to church. You don't need religion to be a good person. However, they should ask that he not practice this in their home (because it is their home and they don't like it) nor should he inform his siblings of it. Let them decide what they want to believe.

Old 07-26-2013, 02:20 PM

1,474 posts, read 3,056,553 times
1. Father should have called cops and had Alicia arrested for underage drinking to teach her a lesson

2. Parents should do nothing. If he becomes obese he'll fit right in with most of society.

3. They should brand a pentagram into his forehead.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
1. Father should have called cops and had Alicia arrested for underage drinking to teach her a lesson

2. Parents should do nothing. If he becomes obese he'll fit right in with most of society.

3. They should brand a pentagram into his forehead.
LOL!!

Yes, Graham was too young to become a dad and hasn't matured enough to know he doesn't have to be a "cool" dad that goes along with everything his kid does. He should have earned the respect of his child long before she turned 15, trying to get respect at that late point could be a little hard. He's far too passive to be a parent. I'm not really sure if you let your child get that old before earning respect from the child what you can do but I'd get in that kid's face -- no more sleeping until 2 pm, no driving a car, no allowance of any kind, no money for clothes but he really needs to contact his ex-wife and work out a good plan together.

Weight is a delicate issue, the parents need to look at what kinds of foods they're actually feeding him, make sure there are only healthy snack choices in the home. Maybe taking some hiking trips with him.

And for John and Elaine, again, this would be the result of fearful frightened parents who think the child dictates the rules of the house. They need to put their foot down, their home, their rules. The child is a minor, if he wants to learn to drive, use the car, have new clothes then he follows the rules. They can require him to go to church every much as they might require him to go to school or do his homework. Again, they might have waited too long to earn their child's respect but they have to at least try now.

They also need to point out where the door is and that at age 18, they no longer have to provide the child room in their home, and make it clear they will not have a satanic roommate. He will no longer have to obey the rules of the home because he can be out working and paying for his own apartment -- but until then, he lives with their rules.

Old 07-30-2013, 09:38 AM

7,639 posts, read 18,116,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
No, it is not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting