Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2013, 09:22 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momma_bear View Post

In the sports world kids LOVE to have fans cheering them on, wearing their number in the stands, etc....They also love to hear their name announced when they make a big play. Why is it such a horrible thing for parents to be proud of their kids achievements? I think it says a lot that you are so bothered by this. Why do you care whether other parents are proud of their kids?
I think there is a big difference in being justifiably proud of your child, and non-stop talking about it.

My kids did sports where their names weren't announced over the loudspeaker. I'm assuming your kids do/did football? Mine did gymnastics, a sport that doesn't get much respect in the high school pecking order of sports.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2013, 09:23 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Why is it so important that a child learn than adults are always right? A person is not always right because they have lived a certain number of years. I have been a teacher and I have seen plenty of school administrators treat children in a way that is wrong.
Your emotional reaction to this prevents you from discussing it rationally. I never stated that adults are always right. I stated that most of the time, when there is a conflict in stories between a child and adult, the adult is telling the truth. Unfortunately, we have a whole sub-group of parents who operate on the opposite assumption and they do a tremendous disservice to their kids when they behave like this. I also stated that when an adult was wrong, it should be handled appropriately, apart from the view of your kid.

Quote:
In the sports world kids LOVE to have fans cheering them on, wearing their number in the stands, etc....They also love to hear their name announced when they make a big play. Why is it such a horrible thing for parents to be proud of their kids achievements? I think it says a lot that you are so bothered by this. Why do you care whether other parents are proud of their kids?

(Rubbing temples) Would you be a dear and point out where exactly I stated anything in opposition to cheering for your kids or taking pride in their accomplishments? This entire paragraph is a telling insight. Let me just clue you in: When you place a bumper sticker on your car or a button on your chest to announce to the world what your child has done, you are not "encouraging" or "supporting" them. They get no "support" from that. That is an act of bringing attention to you and it portrays a high level of insecurity. I've known many parents authentically proud of their kids. They do not spend time advertising that fact because, well, it is authentic pride.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:24 AM

1,474 posts, read 3,057,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cometclear View Post
Your emotional reaction to this prevents you from discussing it rationally. I never stated that adults are always right. I stated that most of the time, when there is a conflict in stories between a child and adult, the adult is telling the truth. Unfortunately, we have a whole sub-group of parents who operate on the opposite assumption and they do a tremendous disservice to their kids when they behave like this. I also stated that when an adult was wrong, it should be handled appropriately, apart from the view of your kid.

(Rubbing temples) Would you be a dear and point out where exactly I stated anything in opposition to cheering for your kids or taking pride in their accomplishments? This entire paragraph is a telling insight. Let me just clue you in: When you place a bumper sticker on your car or a button on your chest to announce to the world what your child has done, you are not "encouraging" or "supporting" them. They get no "support" from that. That is an act of bringing attention to you and it portrays a high level of insecurity. I've known many parents authentically proud of their kids. They do not spend time advertising that fact because, well, it is authentic pride.
So being publicly proud of your child is NOT authentic????

Old 06-29-2013, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBitterness View Post
If you have to advertise it on your car bumper, I'd say "no".

Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
So people who are proud of their children and express it publicly don't do those things?
I was talking about parents that only like their children. All the rest are odd in their eyes.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:28 AM

5,261 posts, read 4,154,895 times
Quote:
Advertising your "pride" on your bumper or your blouse is not pride, it's a rather pathetic attempt to call attention to yourself and impress others. So, no, I would not call that authentic pride.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:29 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
I think there is a big difference in being justifiably proud of your child, and non-stop talking about it.

My kids did sports where their names weren't announced over the loudspeaker. I'm assuming your kids do/did football? Mine did gymnastics, a sport that doesn't get much respect in the high school pecking order of sports.
My kids do both football and other sports that don't get ANY respect in the high school pecking order (wrestling, lacrosse) so I understand the differences. Some people are surprised to find out that our school even has a wrestling team. That is how little respect wrestling gets here in the south.

The person I was responding to is bothered by parents who wear shirts in support of their kids. Shirts with name/number on them are common in team sports. Why would that bother someone?

Old 06-29-2013, 09:30 AM

42,763 posts, read 52,848,332 times
Quote:
If you have to advertise it on your car bumper, I'd say "no".
You can be supportive of your child. But know others are great also. Every child has different skills. Just like every adult.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:43 AM

Quote:
My kids do both football and other sports that don't get ANY respect in the high school pecking order (wrestling, lacrosse) so I understand the differences. Some people are surprised to find out that our school even has a wrestling team. That is how little respect wrestling gets here in the south.

The person I was responding to is bothered by parents who wear shirts in support of their kids. Shirts with name/number on them are common in team sports. Why would that bother someone?
Lots of parents wear shirts that give the name of their kids' school, or sport, or whatever,e.g."Broomfield Gymnastics". I've never seen a parent wearing a shirt with their kid's number and name on it.

Old 06-29-2013, 09:48 AM

11,642 posts, read 23,902,950 times
Quote:
Lots of parents wear shirts that give the name of their kids' school, or sport, or whatever,e.g."Broomfield Gymnastics". I've never seen a parent wearing a shirt with their kid's number and name on it.
I haven't seen it in individual sports like wrestling, but I have seen it at football/lacrosse games. But why would it bother anyone else? Who really give a crud about what someone else wears?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting