Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 03:18 PM

10,662 posts, read 9,297,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
But, this pediatrician is actually claiming that a child can train his/herself to use the toilet? How? They won't really know what it is unless introduced to the concept. Maybe it's the way he said it that has me perplexed.
I probably should have given more details. He didn't say we shouldn't introduce her to what a potty is and what goes with it ( big kid pants etc). But that things like holding it or doing it in the potty is not something we can make them understand, when they are ready to do it in the potty, they do it and all the explanations, sitting them on the potty at certain times, rewards or whatever won't change it. As many people mentioned, sometimes kids get it quickly, and some need a long time. That's because it's something natural that involves many things at the same time (both physically and mentally).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-03-2013, 03:57 PM

49,932 posts, read 59,733,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
I probably should have given more details. He didn't say we shouldn't introduce her to what a potty is and what goes with it ( big kid pants etc). But that things like holding it or doing it in the potty is not something we can make them understand, when they are ready to do it in the potty, they do it and all the explanations, sitting them on the potty at certain times, rewards or whatever won't change it. As many people mentioned, sometimes kids get it quickly, and some need a long time. That's because it's something natural that involves many things at the same time (both physically and mentally).
I think that's why modeling works so well.

Of course older siblings and same-gender parents can model, but the "Potty Train in One Day" method using the baby doll that "wets" and is a great way to show a toddler the chain of events from drinking to getting to the potty to using the potty.

After having 3 kids, I now know that babies understand a LOT more than we think they do.

Old 07-03-2013, 08:48 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,551,408 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
Very interesting Sudcaro. My mother had all of her kids potty "trained" by two years of age. I've heard of varying ages per family. Every parent and child are different. What works for one child will not necessarily work for another.

But, this pediatrician is actually claiming that a child can train his/herself to use the toilet? How? They won't really know what it is unless introduced to the concept. Maybe it's the way he said it that has me perplexed.
I agree with what the pediatrician said because the child has to control certain muscles both to hold and to release -- and for both Num 1 and Num 2. The parent can't control the child's spincter muscles, the parent can't force the bladder to release urine. The parent can only work with the child and help the child train his bodily functions or the parent can learn the child's bodily timing -- try to catch the right time even if the child has not learned much control over these functions.

That's why it can get difficult because if the parent tries too hard, the child can become too nervous for the training to succeed. Also if you try when the child is going through a defiant or "no" stage, it can still succeed but with different strategies because the child may consider his body the one thing only he can control, the parent can't force him to do anything in this one particular area.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:22 AM

6,418 posts, read 7,224,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wmsn4Life View Post
I think that's why modeling works so well.

Of course older siblings and same-gender parents can model, but the "Potty Train in One Day" method using the baby doll that "wets" and is a great way to show a toddler the chain of events from drinking to getting to the potty to using the potty.

After having 3 kids, I now know that babies understand a LOT more than we think they do.
Hehe funny story about that, last year my daughter was, briefly, interested in the potty and she had one at her dad's so would occasionally try and use it there but she saw him peeing and thought she was meant to pee standing up too!! Made a nice puddle on the floor!

Old 07-04-2013, 08:27 AM

49,932 posts, read 59,733,272 times
Yes, I'm still jealous that I can't pee standing up.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:19 AM

2,007 posts, read 2,894,725 times
If you can find it - maybe on amazon- there is a great mr Rogers book about learning

Old 08-05-2013, 11:52 AM

340 posts, read 522,069 times
Old-fashioned waffle-knit training pants/soakers with rubber pants over. The key is not to make your child feel comfortable.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:12 AM

One of the biggest tell tale signs that a kid is ready to start toileting, they'll pull at their diapers or pants when they have to go. That's a good time to start training. Kids who wake up dry in the morning are also well on their way to being trained.

Quick/emergency runs to the toilet, lots of asking, and reminders, are all in a days work when training starts. Providing child with comfy-fit/ easy on/off training pants helps, too, as does reminding them that they aren't babies anymore.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:21 AM

In addition to my last post, making child rinse out their own wet/messy pants. Often, a little tough love goes a long way in the toilet training department.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:18 PM

6,418 posts, read 7,224,971 times
She has started pulling on her nappy recently but as far as I can tell its after she's gone, not before. She never wakes up dry either but she does drink a lot at bedtime so I'd hardly expect it. Still refuses to sit on the potty but she is getting more interested in it (her teddies 'go potty' a lot) so I think that maybe in the nearish future she'll be ready.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting