Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2013, 07:12 PM

16,825 posts, read 17,714,883 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GRNDHOG View Post
So, using that logic, he is also "just another" white president?
Yes, he is also a white president. That is what being biracial means, he is BOTH.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2013, 07:25 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,752,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
It really is best for people to not comment at all when it comes to kids not even to say how cute a child is. What about the homely child who never gets told how beautiful he or she is. One woman I work with was in a store and someone came up to her to tell her how very cute her granddaughter was but the child wasn't her granddaughter at all but her daughter. When it comes to strangers, why say anything.
I'm black and my wife is white. Our oldest daughter is five but she is from a previous relationship my wife had and has blonde hair and blue eyes and is very pretty. Our youngest is one and is a product of mine and my wife and is also very pretty. But there's just something about mixed babies that people find more attractive. We get dirty looks and stares from black women and older white people from time to time but most folks pay us no mind but our kids get lots of "positive" attention - particularly our youngest. I personally do not think most babies are cute especially not infants. Women however tend to adore all babies. Our youngest, though, has been beautiful from day one. She came out with gorgeous skin and a full head of jet black hair. She looks like a doll. Again, my oldest is very pretty but my youngest gets the lionshare of attention. My wife and I are constantly having to remind people who pounce on us in public to look at and talk to and adore our youngest that we do indeed have another daughter who is cute and who is also standing right there. A good number of people don't make the careless mistake of ignoring her completely but even still it is obvious who is the reason they came over to talk. I'm getting to the point where i'd rather people just not say anything so as not to hurt my oldest daughters self esteem but that just isn't human nature. We've been in situations where we've been with other parents and their kids and our youngest is the only one who gets looked at and complimented which is very awkward. Even people who have wholly good intentions can be damaging to a kid's psyche. Also sometimes I wonder if some people are just using it as a front just so they can do a fact finding check on this strangely mismatched multi racial family that just doesn't fit in their frame of reality.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:01 AM

6,129 posts, read 6,804,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tourian View Post
I'm black and my wife is white. Our oldest daughter is five but she is from a previous relationship my wife had and has blonde hair and blue eyes and is very pretty. Our youngest is one and is a product of mine and my wife and is also very pretty. But there's just something about mixed babies that people find more attractive. We get dirty looks and stares from black women and older white people from time to time but most folks pay us no mind but our kids get lots of "positive" attention - particularly our youngest. I personally do not think most babies are cute especially not infants. Women however tend to adore all babies. Our youngest, though, has been beautiful from day one. She came out with gorgeous skin and a full head of jet black hair. She looks like a doll. Again, my oldest is very pretty but my youngest gets the lionshare of attention. My wife and I are constantly having to remind people who pounce on us in public to look at and talk to and adore our youngest that we do indeed have another daughter who is cute and who is also standing right there. A good number of people don't make the careless mistake of ignoring her completely but even still it is obvious who is the reason they came over to talk. I'm getting to the point where i'd rather people just not say anything so as not to hurt my oldest daughters self esteem but that just isn't human nature. We've been in situations where we've been with other parents and their kids and our youngest is the only one who gets looked at and complimented which is very awkward. Even people who have wholly good intentions can be damaging to a kid's psyche. Also sometimes I wonder if some people are just using it as a front just so they can do a fact finding check on this strangely mismatched multi racial family that just doesn't fit in their frame of reality.

I'm black, my hubby is black, we have 2 black kids (LOL)!

When my oldest was little, she looked exactly like a chocolate doll, just gorgeous. We got stopped all the time. People fawned over her.

When she was 2, her brother was born. He was a cute baby too. Suddenly, he got all the attention and people barely talked to my daughter. If we were somewhere just me and her, people still fawned over her. If the baby was with us, the level of attention paid to her dropped drastically.

I think some of what you are experiencing is youngest child syndrome! People just tend to gravitate towards the littlest cute thing on the room. It may not be because she is biracial.

To this day, I think my daughter is still taking it out on my son.

Old 07-11-2013, 08:34 AM

11,787 posts, read 17,752,421 times
Yes I do think it can be youngest child syndrome sometimes, but as I said there are some situations where we have had her around other babies and she still gets the most or only attention. Once it was just me with the two of them at my oldest dental appointment. My 5yo wasn't even in the waiting room at the time but two other moms were with their kids and two of them babies/infants and my baby still got the extra/only attention from the workers there. I could tell one of the moms was perturbed due to the sideways glances she gave us from time to time.

Old 07-15-2013, 08:14 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,748,401 times
People say that the older people give the nasty looks, from what ive noticed with my wife's mixed neice and nephew they always seemed to be some of the nicest to them. Outside of that i dont think ive ever seen any nastiness twoards them or us from people in general.

Old 12-27-2013, 03:31 PM

24,645 posts, read 38,629,231 times
Neither my wife nor I are "biracial," but we are both quite mixed. My youngest son is very light-skinned with light hazel eyes (when he was born, his eyes were blue). He says he gets asked in school all the time if he has a black dad and white mom.

Old 12-27-2013, 06:53 PM

683 posts, read 1,882,675 times
My children are bi-racial, black/white. They are so thankful to have the best of both worlds and be able to fit in with so many different groups of people. They especially love having parents who encourage them to embrace all aspects of both races. Neither of them have ever felt like a misfit or outcast nor have either been treated poorly or negatively because of their racial backgrounds.

Old 12-27-2013, 07:58 PM

860 posts, read 1,108,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
Wow it's 2013 and people still are ignorant?

Besides, bi-racial children are usually drop dead gorgeous.. and they are KIDS! .
Children who are not biracial are usually drop dead gorgeous as well.

Old 12-27-2013, 08:03 PM

860 posts, read 1,108,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogluvr2013 View Post
Yes, sad but true. My children are biracial. There are some people that think if you date or marry outside your race that you have some sort of self-hatred or hatred for your own race. It's ignorant.

The interesting thing about it is they only say this about you if you are a minority. If you are white and marry outside your race, they don't say that you have self-hatred. I don't know why this is.
I think because the world is white dominated and society tries to shove down our throats that white is "superior," and some races feel if they marry white, they are "improving" the race and hence looking down on their own "inferior" race.

Old 12-27-2013, 09:46 PM

7,400 posts, read 6,363,653 times
OP, I am black (with Native American) and white, and my children are "mixed," though they're an upwards of 75% white since my ex-husband is white. I didn't have much of a problem growing up, nor do my children. I've also lived in culturally diverse areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprite97 View Post
Children who are not biracial are usually drop dead gorgeous as well.
I don't come across many drop dead gorgeous kids whether they're multi-ethnic or not.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting